What's new

What Shavette/Barber-Razor and Blade did you use today? We like PICS

Feather SS with AC Pro blade

454B59B2-BFD6-41DF-9997-67BC1AEA0461.jpeg

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Parker/Derby

I have a bunch of traditional straight razors and I like them very much but if I were allowed only one razor for the rest of my life, I would choose a shavette because of no maintenance and always perfect shave. Either the Parker or Focus Al.

U

uspiff

Cold water rinse.
Greeniv natural shaving soap.
Pearl boar brush.
Taiwan shavette (Parker clone).
Gillette permasharp blade.
Nature's Tattva witch hazel.
Suthol neem aftershave.

9/10

Soap produces average lather, but very good slickness.
Two pass, WTG and XTG. Plus third XTG pass only on the chin.
Slight burning around chin.
proxy.php

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
20200202_100117.jpg

Vintage Shulton Old Spice cream - takes a lot of work to lather as it has separated over time.
Simpson Chubby 1 Manchurian brush.
Feather Artist Club DX razor.
Feather Professional blade.
Vintage 1977 Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee Shulton Old Spice after shave.

Feather AC SS Kamisori with Feather ProGuard, Crown Shaving preshave, MWF, and finished with Thayer's witchhazel and Nivea sensitive skin balm.
2 days growth.

I still consider myself a rookie with this razor. But last night was the first time I managed the first pass (WTG) without nicks, weepers, or irritation. I normally stop at one pass but I gained confidence with the success of this attempt and went for a second pass XTG. A few weepers, a bit of blood, and a nick on my nostril that took a while to stop bleeding. But, wow, what a close shave. I think that this was the closest I have ever managed with any type of razor. Skin felt good with some iteration; apart from some localized spots where I had the weepers. A pass with the alum was surprisingly calm.

A good confidence building shave; still feeling smooth and healthy the next morning.

Feather AC SS Kamisori with Feather ProGuard, Crown Shaving preshave, MWF, and finished with Thayer's witchhazel and Nivea sensitive skin balm.
2 days growth.

I still consider myself a rookie with this razor. But last night was the first time I managed the first pass (WTG) without nicks, weepers, or irritation. I normally stop at one pass but I gained confidence with the success of this attempt and went for a second pass XTG. A few weepers, a bit of blood, and a nick on my nostril that took a while to stop bleeding. But, wow, what a close shave. I think that this was the closest I have ever managed with any type of razor. Skin felt good with some iteration; apart from some localized spots where I had the weepers. A pass with the alum was surprisingly calm.

A good confidence building shave; still feeling smooth and healthy the next morning.
Remember to keep a feather-light touch on this razor. I don't get nicks at all with this thing. Are you skin stretching a bit, like you would with a straight razor? If not, you should. You don't HAVE TO, as the bump will provide a bit of stretching, and you don't want to pull the skin EXTREMELY tight, but I find that a bit of moderate skin stretching goes a long way toward making the shave close and smooth.

Had my first shave with a Shavette the other day. A kamasori feather SS loaded with a new feather pro. Used Stirling soap to attempt to shave off about a 5 day growth. After watching others on YouTube I figured I’d have no problems, but boy was I wrong. Lots of tugging from the begging. Not sure if I didn’t have my lather slick enough or if I need super pros for my thick wirey beard with that many days. However, I kept at it and managed a halfway decent smooth shave. Only one bad nick in my chin area. 15 hours later and I still have a DFS. Will give it another go tomorrow and see if I get better. Pics to come.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Had my first shave with a Shavette the other day. A kamasori feather SS loaded with a new feather pro. Used Stirling soap to attempt to shave off about a 5 day growth. After watching others on YouTube I figured I’d have no problems, but boy was I wrong. Lots of tugging from the begging. Not sure if I didn’t have my lather slick enough or if I need super pros for my thick wirey beard with that many days. However, I kept at it and managed a halfway decent smooth shave. Only one bad nick in my chin area. 15 hours later and I still have a DFS. Will give it another go tomorrow and see if I get better. Pics to come.
A shavette is incredibly sharp. Keep a much lighter touch than you would expect. A five day old whisker is the same diameter as a one day old whisker and cut the same. Just a bigger mess I expect.

A shavette is incredibly sharp. Keep a much lighter touch than you would expect. A five day old whisker is the same diameter as a one day old whisker and cut the same. Just a bigger mess I expect.

Been reading about them incrediblysharp, but this feather pro blade just seems to do nothing. Had a go at it again today and it just feels off. Maybe my technique or angle sucks, it man it’s not going well. Gonna keep giving it a try, but I might have to try a different blade as these just seem rough. That or go to an actual straight.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Been reading about them incrediblysharp, but this feather pro blade just seems to do nothing. Had a go at it again today and it just feels off. Maybe my technique or angle sucks, it man it’s not going well. Gonna keep giving it a try, but I might have to try a different blade as these just seem rough. That or go to an actual straight.
Keep the angle close and the pressure light and the blade should work fine. Most likely, you haven’t learned to use it yet so keep at it. I use a Parker half blade. I don’t believe the little extra blade length outweighs the cost of the blades. I also have a much more expensive Focus Al bit prefer the $20 Parker. If you aren’t getting a good shave from a shavette, it is unlikely you will from a traditional straight. Just keep at it and you will figure it out. It is a self learning thing. Don’t get discouraged. Have patience and all will be revealed.

Shaved for the first time with this HRICO "Zero Sense" Razor purchased from AliExpress. It is a DE half-blade shavette with a blade holding mechanism similar to the Feather Artist Club/Kai/CJB. The scales look to be a copy of ones used on Feather SS but with a redesigned blade slot to accept half DE blades.

My initial impression is quite positive. The tolerances seem tight and the overall finish of the plating is better than the previous Feather SS clones which I had bought before. The scales are plastic but feel nice. This shavette might replace my Focus Slim Al as a travel razor (since I don't want to risk losing the Focus Slim)....though I mostly use a Feather Popular DE and not a shavette when traveling.

The razor came with a pack of Dorco ST-300 (HQ Technology) blades which I have not opened. I am not sure what blade was shipped inside the blade holder but I used it for the first shave and liked it. It did not feel super sharp but was smooth. There were no markings on either side of the half DE blade so could it have even been a Dorco?

About the only negative comment I can make at this point is that the ink stamps on the razor will probably not last. I noticed one was already smudged after the first shave. But given the direction of the smudge I believe it must have been made when disassembling the razor for the initial picture. The blade holder halves were fairly tight together (but not too tight), so when I pressed down with my thumb to slide the top half off must have caused the smudge which is shown in the last image (#4). The first three pictures were taken outdoors near the end of the day before it was used, while the last picture was taken indoors under LED lighting after the first shave.
View attachment 1021302View attachment 1021303View attachment 1021304View attachment 1021305
Recently received a blue handled version from a different AliExpress store named "Malord Store". I have not used it yet but from an initial look it appears to be the same design. However I would not recommend buying from the Malord store even though it was a few dollars cheaper because it was not packaged very well. The orange razor in the quoted post was bought from the "HRICO Razors Manufacture Factory Showing Store" which I recommend instead.

The blue razor was wrapped in a thin layer of bubble wrap, placed in a ziplock bag, and then shipped in a thin, non-padded, plastic envelope. By the time it arrived it had shed the bubble wrap and the monkey tail was sticking through the outer packaging. The black reside is some oil that was put on the pivot pin, I don't remember seeing excess oil on the orange one.
Malord Store DE-shavette_20200207.jpg

U

uspiff

Cold water rinse.
Godrej shaving soap.
Pearl boar brush.
Taiwan shavette (Parker clone).
Gillette permasharp blade.
Nature's Tattva witch hazel.
Suthol neem aftershave.

Three pass + touch ups around chin = DFS+

Slight burning around chin.