What's new

What Shavette/Barber-Razor and Blade did you use today? We like PICS

Great stuff. Also, not that it makes much difference, but the brand is KureNai. HRICO is the seller.

I see that they recently added a fixed handle version (J-type aka "Kamisori style) of this razor and another that is a fixed-handle version of the Kai Captain Zebrano (Kai's answer to the Feather SS). Pretty interesting products, and quite easy on the pocketbook.

Thanks for the improved ID on the HRICO KureNai! I will use it to do some more googling on these products. There were absolutely no clues on my new shavette or its packaging. I appreciate your sharing the shavette background info - this is new territory for me!

On the fixed handles: While I love having a Henkotsu kamisori, storing it emphasizes that the convenient edge protection of the handle/scales of an SR style shavette is a big plus for me. If I stuck to one or two razors a fixed handle would be fine, but worrying about protecting the edge during a few weeks of storage puts me off. So one kami/fixed handle is enough for now.

Hess 1010 "EZY Shave", or as I call it, the Weck Sextoblade 2.0

Smooth shaver (like the Sextoblade), but with less exposure and a "profile" near the blade edge that helps maintain the correct angle.
proxy.php

Note: this is an old pic I took - I didn't use Roam today.

Lather: Brion shave cream
Razor: Parker SR1 w/ Vincent Sigma blade
First complete shave with the Sigma blade. It is definitely more forgiving than a standard DE blade.

20191024_001848_HDR~2.jpg

sigma.jpgsigma1.jpg

SOTD
Lather: Palmira Serbian shave cream
Razor: Kai Captain w/ Kai mild blade

proxy.php

My KureNai 1/2 DE shavette did a fine job today, but it is a bit unwieldy compared to my Focus Slim. The extra heft is fine, the dimensions of the blade holder are the issue. The KureNai has moved to the travel kit, as expected.

No way am I ready to travel with straight razors and a strop. The KureNai will be the perfect companion to my vintage travel DE.

KureNai / Feather
Lea menthol cream + BOSC Special Reserve croap
Vulfix 6 boar
Witch hazel splash

Nov 2: New-ish Soap

Lather:
Stirling Ozark Mountain
Brush: Zenith B07-EURO bleached boar (24/57mm)
Razor 1: Feather Artist Club SS 6/8
Razor 2: Univinlions Kai Captain, straight (clone)
Blade 1: Chinese Feather Artist Club clone [1]
Blade 2: Feather Artist Club Professional [6]

I was so looking forward to this shave. A new soap (that I bought in 2015), my first shave at home in a week, and with a non-disposable razor. The Feather SS called my name.

The Stirling Ozark Mountain soap smells incredible. Outdoorsy without being piney. This is a scent that really hits a home run.

There was no blade in the SS so I took one out of the wrapper and started shaving. It felt horrible - dull, tuggy and at the same time harsh. Three weepers appeared out of nowhere. How can I lose my straight touch in only a week?

Waitaminnit. Feather blades don't come in wrappers! This must be the free blade I got with the Univinlions razor. I wasn't going to continue with it. I didn't have my glasses, so instead of risking another cut by transferring a blade blind, I just reached for the already loaded Univinlions kamisori and finished the shave. The good news is that a week of not straight shaving didn't turn me into a newbie again ;-)

I'm so glad I didn't buy a pack of those Chinese clone blades.
proxy.php

Still working on technique. I am right-handed and fairly comfortable with the right side of my face. My left hand is still tentative and the left side of my face is not as well-served.

Today was:
  • Pre: Proraso White
  • Soap: MWF
  • Razor: Feather AC SS Kamisori
  • Blade: Feather ProGuard (5)
  • Balm: Nivea Sensitive Skin
Everything above the adam's apple was pretty good. Still only doing one pass WTG so not as close as I ideally want but comfortable. Much better with my chin than before. Lower neck is still a problem. For some reason I can't see to get as good a surface configured for the shavette as I do for the DE and I end up with a number of weepers.

Still, getting better.

Still working on technique. I am right-handed and fairly comfortable with the right side of my face. My left hand is still tentative and the left side of my face is not as well-served.
Stick with it and don't resist the urge to give up on the left hand. I can't when pick my nose with my left, but can shave just as easily with both hands and a straight. Funny thing, I still can't use my left with a DE.

It took about 15 shaves before it started to feel natural with my left, and at 30, I don't even notice.

I shaved 10 straight days using my new AliExpress Feather-AC-inspired/Kia-Captain-inspired half-DE-bladed razor. Getting good shaves from the same USA Personna half blade.

A week later I added another 3-4 shaves on the same blade, but it is not feeling so sharp and needs to be changed. .... Which means it is time to switch up razors.
IMG_20191104_Orange-DE-shavette.jpg

Today was:
  • Pre: Proraso White
  • Soap: MWF
  • Razor: Feather AC SS Kamisori
  • Blade: Feather ProGuard (5)
  • Balm: Nivea Sensitive Skin
Everything above the adam's apple was pretty good. Still only doing one pass WTG so not as close as I ideally want but comfortable. Much better with my chin than before. Lower neck is still a problem. For some reason I can't see to get as good a surface configured for the shavette as I do for the DE and I end up with a number of weepers.

Still, getting better.
The neck, for me, took multiple reps and a lot of practice to get comfortable with. I have to say, though, there is an area under the chin and down on the right side that I could never get shaved closely and comfortably with a DE that straight razor shaving fixed entirely! And it was a place that, at first, I couldn't even get a straight blade to get through. It kept skipping. The hairs are especially dense and coarse there. I finally figured out an approach that worked, a sideways, "Gillette slide"-ish sweeping motion that moves kind of in the WTG direction. After the first couple of times I finally got a straight razor through that section I knew that open blade shaving had something to offer me.

Shortly thereafter I figured out the rest of the neck on both sides, although there are still places on the left side that I haven't quite had to true "a-ha!" moment with. But I can get both sides clean without irritation now.

With the Feather SS, it's even easier for me because the blade is always sharp. Plus, the shorter blade length is also advantageous for the neck.

Keep working on it and maybe you'll have an epiphany, as well. If/when you do, you are going to love it.

Univinlions AC shavette with a feather proguard (day 1)

My first shave with this shavette as well as with an AC type blade. I am impressed by the result considering that I havent used shavettes that much. The result was about the same I get from two passes with my DE razor I'd say, after one pass with the shavette.

Did get some slight burn and managed to nick myself but nothing too serious. Only thing I noticed was that it felt like the proguard faced some resistance. It didn't pull, but I noticed that I had to use very short strokes after each other to remove hair on my neck. I suspect it was either due to the angle or simply because I have gone a few days now without shaving. So perhaps the proguard wasn't the propper blade for this shave. Only time will tell.

Univinlions AC shavette with a feather proguard (day 2)

Couldn't feel any resistance on my neck this time around. So I'm convinced it was due to the lenght of the hair during the previous shave. Had some burn and nicked myself again. And got to try going XTG for the first time with a shavette.

Bargain Shave
Lather: Palmolive shave stick
Razor: Vincent VT-1321 w/ Kai Captain Standard blade

20191106_220246.jpg

SOTD - Another bargain shave
Lather: Albus Palmira Serbian shave soap
Razor: Spilo Magic shavette w/ Gillette Silver Blue blade
20191109_134634.jpg

Feather SS folder with Proguard (2 or 3)
Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber
Zenith copper boar 28x57mm
Osma alum block
Clubman pencil (neck nick, doh)

The Bluebeards Revenge Cut-Throat Razor / Derby Premium single blade (1), Proraso white
My 3rd shave with this razor. Not a nice shave. Today I'll start a topic in the help section. Maybe / probably I'm doing something wrong ;)

Top Bottom