What's new

What Shavette/Barber-Razor and Blade did you use today? We like PICS

A follow up to a post made several pages (months) ago. I used this shavette somewhere between 14-21 times along with a single Personna blade. I never took the blade out to clean in between shaves. I just rinsed things as best as I could and stropped dry on a towel. Afterwards the old blade sat in the razor for 4-5 weeks and here is what it looked like in photo 1. Photos 2 & 3 are after a quick 15 second cleaning with a toothbrush and soft soap. So far I like this razor, it shaves well and is inexpensive.

It is too soon to know but it looks like there might be a little corrosion on the leaf spring? I think the spring is the weakest link but it is probably the easiest part to repair/replace. I have too many razors in rotation but I think this one will give good service. I will try to post again in another year.
HRICO-orange-shavette-1-after-3weeks.jpgHRICO-orange-shavette-2a-after-cleaning.jpgHRICO-orange-shavette-2b-after-cleaning.jpg

Last edited:
No pic, but used the Feather SS again this morning, loaded with a Proline blade on its 5th or 6th shave (I don't count anymore, I just use it until it tugs).

I had one of the best shaves I've ever had; two passes plus touch-up to shave nirvana.

I read a post, above, from a straight razor shaver who said that he "always gets" a "weeper or two" when shaving with the Feather SS. I don't understand this. I have used nothing else since late August. In that almost 4-month period, I think I've had maybe one small weeper. The SS is not hard to shave with. Anybody who can get a clean straight razor shave should have no trouble with the SS. For me, the angle is just a bit steeper and the touch just a bit lighter. Other than that, the technique is essentially the same.

Feather AC SS Kamisori with Feather ProGuard, Crown Shaving preshave, and MWF.
3 days growth; 1 XTG pass; socially acceptable.

Still not competent enought to go for multiple passes and the BBS but it was comfortable and looks and feels good.
Most importantly -- no blood.

Focus Slim Al with a fresh half Rapira Platinum Lux. One light nick on a bit of tender jawline skin that has been hiding under my beard for decades.

I’ve been using my straights to the exclusion of my shavettes. But the Focus Slim is just too effective to stay on the sidelines. And it does serve as a reference point for the sharpness I hope to achieve with my SR edges.

Until now a straight or shavette has generally been a first pass only razor for me. A first: did the two main passes and lined my newly realigned side whiskers and goatee with the shavette. I did use a DE to take two sideways clean up strokes across my neck.

Feather folding SS, as usual. First time trying a Kai mild pink blade. Two passes, CCS. The Kai blade is not as sharp as a Schick Proline, but it shaved fine. I hear longevity is good with these blades. Time will tell.

It was time for a Zazor shave!!
Great minds think alike. For yesterday's shave, I used my homemade "Zazor-like object"

Dec 31: DEcember Shave #20 - Last Shave of the Decade

Lather:
Stirling Port au Prince
Brush: Semogue 620 (21/50mm)
Razor: Kamisori DE Safety Razor (oval-slot Tech)
Blade: Treet Platinum Super Stainless [28]
Balm: Aqua Velva Sensitive 5 in 1 After Shave Balm

I had a very rare (for me) 3-day stubble to tackle, and this being my last DEcember shave, and last shave of the decade, went with an untraditional DE razor - my kamisori style Tech, which is basically a DE head on a sideways stick.

This razor is my Version 1. The handle is too short, too smooth, and may (or may not) feel better if it was flattened a bit. That said, it's still more than good enough that I haven't made a Version 2 yet.

The razor had no problem with the longer than usual stubble. It was a nice shave to cap off DEcember 2019.
proxy.php

Jan 2: New Year - New Razor

Lather:
Haslinger Schafmilch Rasierseife
Brush: Semogue 1800 (22/55mm)
Razor: Sanguine Coolcut R5 shavette
Blade: Dorco ST300 Platinum Stainless half-blade [19]

First shave of the year with a new razor. Francis gave me this razor for Christmas, and with all my shavettes, it's amazing that he got me one that I didn't have. All of my scissor type shavettes were wide full-blade sized, and this one is my first half-blade.

This is my narrowest profile shavette, and it's very manoeuvrable. It took a few strokes to get the angle right - I naturally gravitated to a steeper angle, which felt wrong. I think the blade is done though as the shave wasn't as smooth as expected. The two day stubble may have factored in, but I don't think so. The other half of this blade gave me more than twice this number of shaves, so it might just be me.
proxy.php

Feather SS again, now with a Kai Mild Pink blade on its 5th use (got the blade sample for Christmas). Smooth two-passer with a tiny bit of DE touch-up along the jawline.

The Kai blade is serviceable and way better than the Feather ProGuard, but neither as smooth nor as sharp as the Schick Proline.

I've been using the Feather AC RG for the last eleven years, with the Feather ProGuard blades. Extremely close shave. Haven't tried the Super Blades, never invested in buying a full pack of them, and had a negative experience with the Pro Blades, could have had a bad manufacture. Just bought off of the buy/sell here an additional five packs of the ProGuards. With the current two that I have, I'm good for quite a while. The ProGuards treat me very well. YMMV.

Jan 4: Lazy Saturday Proraso Shavette Shave

Lather:
Proraso Red (sandalwood and shea butter)
Brush: Proraso Professional (27/57mm)
Razor: Universal Rasoio a Mano Libera Lama Intera 7/8
Blade: Treet Platinum Super Stainless [29]
Balm: Chatillon Lux La Foret de Liguest Salve

I haven't used Proraso Red in maybe a month. This is a nice soap, and tailor made for the matching Proraso Professional boar.

I also haven't used the Universal in awhile. It's still my desert island razor, but the blade seems to have dropped off a bit because the shave was not as close as I'm used to. The blade is still perfect in a DE razor, so I'll try it on some of my more aggressive full-DE bladed shavettes in the coming days; the Strong Leopard and The Holy Black clone.
proxy.php

Top Bottom