What's new

What shave purchase(s) in 2020 surprised you?

I sitting back this morning looking at my first Declaration Grooming soap and aftershave that arrived yesterday in the midst of our big snowstorm here in Reno, NV, and realized that I purchased a lot more than usual in 2020 while staying home during the pandemic. Enhancing my shaving routine has made the home stay way more pleasant for me, and some of the stuff I bought exceeded my expectations. Maybe you would like to share what purchase(s) last year really worked for you?

During 2020 there were a few pleasant surprises, but my choice for my favorite purchase of 2020 is the Connaught Omega Jade 011842 premium boar brush. As a confirmed badger user, this boar brush opened an whole new direction for me. Like others, my first brush was a scratchy, inexpensive, drugstore boar. A VDH boar acquired later was a definite step up :001_rolle. My first brush worked, yes, and with any soap it did better canned foam; it was at best barely decent. A badger brush soon followed and the enjoyment factor in my shaves increased dramatically. I stuck with badger, although over the years, and there have been well more than a few years here, I tried some early synthetics and made an occasional boar purchase. Nothing really made me smile like badger until I broke in the Omega Jade. For me, this brush delivers and the experience rivals that of any brushes I have or had.

So, what shaving item(s) knocked your socks off in 2020? Pictures are great, too.

PXL_20210128_192051396.jpg

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
For me hands down the Yaqi Top Aggressive Slant. Best razor I have used in 10 years of wetshaving. Cured my RAD. I am now completely uninterested in getting another razor.

Also Cella Extra Extra Bio. Not sure I'm going to purchase anything else going into the future.

Finally, B&M balm. Again, not going to buy anything else.

Last edited:
Mine is my Timeless SS .68 Scalloped Polished, I ordered it on December 27th, it didn’t arrive until January 5th, not sure if it qualifies. It totally knocked my socks off with how smooth and efficient it was, so much so that between the 5th of January and the 28th I have acquired 2 more Timeless Razors in Titanium. Here is a picture of the first and the second one.
4E3C56F2-1346-494E-9400-659DE3474AB7.jpeg
9893E9E5-9AB0-4273-BBDE-184BC4341F87.jpeg
9148EAAB-5C1A-41F3-9FE8-B0B6FF7927E4.jpeg

2020 was a busy year for me as well in terms of acquisitions. Being around home so much, I thought I'd try to enjoy every shave and keep my mind off some things. I tried plenty of great soaps, razors, brushes, and aftershaves but one knot surprised me the most: TurnNShave Quartermoon knot.

Sawdust Big Red w TNS Quatermoon knot.jpg

It's set with the Sawdust Creation Big Red handle and it looks lovely to me. The knot is a simple Tuxedo knot but made in a Fan shape. It's got the perfect amount of backbone to softness and splay. Makes the lathering process so much more enjoyable to me. I've been really digging the Fan synthetics and I got couple more to test out.

I sitting back this morning looking at my first Declaration Grooming soap and aftershave that arrived yesterday in the midst of our big snowstorm here in Reno, NV, and realized that I purchased a lot more than usual in 2020 while staying home during the pandemic. Enhancing my shaving routine has made the home stay way more pleasant for me, and some of the stuff I bought exceeded my expectations. Maybe you would like to share what purchase(s) last year really worked for you?

During 2020 there were a few pleasant surprises, but my choice for my favorite purchase of 2020 is the Connaught Omega Jade 011842 premium boar brush. As a confirmed badger user, this boar brush opened an whole new direction for me. Like others, my first brush was a scratchy, inexpensive, drugstore boar. A VDH boar acquired later was a definite step up :001_rolle. My first brush worked, yes, and with any soap it did better canned foam; it was at best barely decent. A badger brush soon followed and the enjoyment factor in my shaves increased dramatically. I stuck with badger, although over the years, and there have been well more than a few years here, I tried some early synthetics and made an occasional boar purchase. Nothing really made me smile like badger until I broke in the Omega Jade. For me, this brush delivers and the experience rivals that of any brushes I have or had.

So, what shaving item(s) knocked your socks off in 2020? Pictures are great, too.

View attachment 1214760
That is a very nice brush, wonder how it compares to the Zenith Large Boar Brush, which is the one I have. Have great shaves with it my friend

Mine is my Timeless SS .68 Scalloped Polished, I ordered it on December 27th, it didn’t arrive until January 5th, not sure if it qualifies. It totally knocked my socks off with how smooth and efficient it was, so much so that between the 5th of January and the 28th I have acquired 2 more Timeless Razors in Titanium. Here is a picture of the first and the second one.View attachment 1214764View attachment 1214765View attachment 1214770
Those are very classy looking razors @SgtCrppls; they must shave great for you to acquire a few!!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
A few shaving purchases happily surprised in 2020.
  • My first stick of Arko shaving soap. An absolute pleasure to use. At USD 2 each (including delivery from Turkey), I have ordered some more.
  • The steel used in the manufacture of the Gold Dollar 208. I was not expecting much for the USD 8 price but it has been a pleasure to hone and shave with. I cannot say the same for the quality of its scales or the grind of the blade.
  • My Chinese synthetic guaranteed genuine pure best badger shaving brush for USD 2. This brush does not look "pretty" but far out performs many of my much more expensive real badger brushes in both feel and lathering. It also only needs about half as much soap and does not hog lather.

I also bought a huge pile of shaving gear in 2020, but the most surprising was the Fatip Lo Storto Originale. When it arrived, I found that the pins were slightly misaligned and getting the cap on and off was a real chore. My disappointment was palpable.

But, once the blade was in and everything was screwed together, it provided an exceptionally smooth, efficient shave. Now, it's my everyday razor, Today marks my 210th consecutive shave with it.

proxy.php

For me, it was the Merkur Progress and the Fatip Open Comb Slant. And the re-discovery of the AP Shave Co. synthetic tuxedo brush with the faux marble handle. I'd bought it a couple of years ago, and initially did not like it as much as my long-time brush the EJ badger. Not sure why; maybe because the AP was softer and smoother on my face. I began to use it more last spring and summer -- and discovered that I like it better!

For me was revisiting the Fat!

When a was a newbie I tried MWF but my inexperience and lack of technique made me hate it, couldn't get a proper lather even though I could tell the slickness of the soap was awesome.

Fast forward ~10 years later I decided I wanted to try it again so I bough a puck. This time i had better brushes and some years creating awesome lathers under my belt.

What an awesome soap!!! Yes is not the easiest to lather, just requires some more patience and extra love but once you get the hang of it is a joy, can’t stop touching my face after the shave, it has made me skip the aftershave a couple of times!

When a was a newbie I tried MWF but my inexperience and lack of technique made me hate it, couldn't get a proper lather even though I could tell the slickness of the soap was awesome.

Fast forward ~10 years later I decided I wanted to try it again so I bough a puck. This time i had better brushes and some years creating awesome lathers under my belt.

What an awesome soap!!! Yes is not the easiest to lather, just requires some more patience and extra love but once you get the hang of it is a joy, can’t stop touching my face after the shave, it has made me skip the aftershave a couple of times!
+1 indeed. I've had some MWF on hand for well over a decade. True, it's not as easy as some of the new artisan super soaps, which basically grab your brush and lather by themselves :001_rolle. But, it is a great soap when it works for you.

+1! You beat me to it! I worked through a MWF puck some time ago and had not used it for a good while.

Bought a new puck in 2020 and could not understand what took me so long! :a29:

The ATT Windsor (atlas handle, H plate) blew me away!

It has become my favourite razor and surprised is an understatement as I really can't say I was expecting this!

ATT gets little talk time on the forums but man, the Windsor is a RAD killer!!

Omega Boar #49 brush! Already during the first shave (before it was broken in) I got surprised of its performance and I am still amazed of how good it is. It surprised me so much that I saw no need for my other brushes and they ended up in the trash bin.

Top Bottom