What's new

What shave equipment did you buy today

Hi all,

I found what I believe to be a vintage ENGLISH Shaving Mug. W.H. Grindley & Co. England 1891-1914 "Harley Pattern" shaving mug. There is the number 5 near the logo. I didn't notice until tonight that there is a small chip at the Base of the Mug. No biggie in my book. Heck, the Mug cost me less than two dollars! Ya gotta love "Thrift Shops". The pattern looks (more or less) like the one in this (borrowed) photograph of a DIFFERENT (i.e. not a Mug) Harley item. The handle design however is the same as the (ONE handle only) on mine.
proxy.php

SixCats!

Hi all,

I found what I believe to be a vintage ENGLISH Shaving Mug. W.H. Grindley & Co. England 1891-1914 "Harley Pattern" shaving mug. There is the number 5 near the logo. I didn't notice until tonight that there is a small chip at the Base of the Mug. No biggie in my book. Heck, the Mug cost me less than two dollars! Ya gotta love "Thrift Shops". The pattern looks (more or less) like the one in this (borrowed) photograph of a DIFFERENT (i.e. not a Mug) Harley item. The handle design however is the same as the (ONE handle only) on mine.
proxy.php

SixCats!
I found a new lather bowl, well to be honest it wasn't intended for shaving. But when I looked at it I thought it would work great.
Resin bowl that won't break if dropped and it has this texturing on the inside that are soft ridges and dips. Seems perfect for lather - we'll see tomorrow morning.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Hi Shark,

Heck, why not ? I suspect it would work great for all the reasons you mentioned.
Heck, today, I bought (what I thought/was told) was a vintage Barber's Bottle. It didn't cost me too much (thankfully)
as I later discovered the bottle was in fact lol, a vintage VINEGAR bottle with Stainless Steel Cap/spout.
I thought it looked familiar lol. The bottle's bottom reads MEDCO PRODUCTS N.Y.C. (and the number 2).
My plan was to use this bottle (which is in very good/clean condition) for Witch Hazel. For the time being, I'm going to stick with that plan! I discovered that this old bottle is circa 1930's-40's and thus is still NEAT-0!
I don't believe the person who sold me the bottle tried to cheat me, I think he believed it was a Barber's Bottle.
The bottle (with it's excellent condition Stainless Steel Cap/Spout) cost me five dollars. Elsewhere on the pages of B&B, I mentioned (in the end) it all evens out. That is to say, some items I overpay, others I under pay.
You see, not only did I purchase a Vinegar Bottle, I purchased a VERY good condition vintage 1956 Gillette
Flair Tip Super Speed Safety Razor DE B2 (not yet sure if it's a Medium or Wide Flair Tip) for three dollars!
So, I ain't crying over spilled Vinegar!

Borrowed photograph, thank you Razor Emporium.

GILLETTE
vintage 1956 Gillette
Flair Tip Super Speed Safety Razor DE B2

proxy.php

SixCats!

Hi Shark,

Heck, why not ? I suspect it would work great for all the reasons you mentioned.
Heck, today, I bought (what I thought/was told) was a vintage Barber's Bottle. It didn't cost me too much (thankfully)
as I later discovered the bottle was in fact lol, a vintage VINEGAR bottle with Stainless Steel Cap/spout.
I thought it looked familiar lol. The bottle's bottom reads MEDCO PRODUCTS N.Y.C. (and the number 2).
My plan was to use this bottle (which is in very good/clean condition) for Witch Hazel. For the time being, I'm going to stick with that plan! I discovered that this old bottle is circa 1930's-40's and thus is still NEAT-0!
I don't believe the person who sold me the bottle tried to cheat me, I think he believed it was a Barber's Bottle.
The bottle (with it's excellent condition Stainless Steel Cap/Spout) cost me five dollars. Elsewhere on the pages of B&B, I mentioned (in the end) it all evens out. That is to say, some items I overpay, others I under pay.
You see, not only did I purchase a Vinegar Bottle, I purchased a VERY good condition vintage 1956 Gillette
Flair Tip Super Speed Safety Razor DE B2 (not yet sure if it's a Medium or Wide Flair Tip) for three dollars!
So, I ain't crying over spilled Vinegar!

Borrowed photograph, thank you Razor Emporium.

GILLETTE
vintage 1956 Gillette
Flair Tip Super Speed Safety Razor DE B2

proxy.php

SixCats!
SixCats,

That's awesome - you never know what you get until you get it home!

I have to say you've been busy - got the bug I see.

Hahaha, that's great - what ever makes you happy and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Hi Shark,

Thank you for your kind words of support. Indeed, I've been NUTZ busy! I've been beating the bushes in about a 50 to 75 mile radius of my area. Since I joined B&B a few weeks ago, I have purchased ten Safety Razors (and two Straight Razors) a couple of Mugs and a Bottle for After Shave. Thus far, I haven't spent a great deal of money on any one Razor. I rather own TEN (very nice) Vintage Razors for what it would cost me to purchase ONE "Funky" new Razor. Mind you, this is not a knock at the Guys who purchase the likes of pricey new "high end" Razor as they are indeed very slick! However, for me, I enjoy the "thrill of the hunt" and I also really enjoy the cleaning process of an old Razor and making it look new again although, I have purchased a couple of vintage NOS Razors that are stunning!
In addition to the '56 Flair Tip Super Speed I purchased today, I found a vintage, well used but, in overall straight condition 1921 Gillette Old Type Ball End Razor. It cost me five dollars! The beauty is, there are NO cracks whatsoever in the handle! I have cleaned up this Old Type and it looks quite good, with lots of character! A nice Historical piece I look forward to using. I sort of feel a strange "vibe" just holding this well used Razor. Me thinks I'm really going to enjoy the 1921.

Regards,
SixCats!

Hi Shark,

Thank you for your kind words of support. Indeed, I've been NUTZ busy! I've been beating the bushes in about a 50 to 75 mile radius of my area. Since I joined B&B a few weeks ago, I have purchased ten Safety Razors (and two Straight Razors) a couple of Mugs and a Bottle for After Shave. Thus far, I haven't spent a great deal of money on any one Razor. I rather own TEN (very nice) Vintage Razors for what it would cost me to purchase ONE "Funky" new Razor. Mind you, this is not a knock at the Guys who purchase the likes of pricey new "high end" Razor as they are indeed very slick! However, for me, I enjoy the "thrill of the hunt" and I also really enjoy the cleaning process of an old Razor and making it look new again although, I have purchased a couple of vintage NOS Razors that are stunning!
In addition to the '56 Flair Tip Super Speed I purchased today, I found a vintage, well used but, in overall straight condition 1921 Gillette Old Type Ball End Razor. It cost me five dollars! The beauty is, there are NO cracks whatsoever in the handle! I have cleaned up this Old Type and it looks quite good, with lots of character! A nice Historical piece I look forward to using. I sort of feel a strange "vibe" just holding this well used Razor. Me thinks I'm really going to enjoy the 1921.

Regards,
SixCats!
Awesome, keep in the hunt but don't overwhelm yourself.
Take time to enjoy your unique finds.

Ordered more A&E NYC soap and aftershave. A&E SoCal Hipster aftershave and also Matrin de Candre Rose cream. All from Pastures Pharmacy.

I bought three quarters of a razor tonight. Hoping against hope that the seller finds the remainder. (They won’t) Details to follow!

Last edited:
Well, it's not exactly a new buy but in regards to spending money on shaving equipment, I'm sending my 40's era Gillette gold Aristocrat razor in for revamping. I have been putting it off thinking I can't justify the expense, I have enough razors as it is, the Aristocrat is usable and it's in my rotation as it is but it will finally have the even more beautiful look to match how beautifully it shaves.

Top Bottom