What's new

What Shave brushes do do you use and where did you get them?

Most of my brushes would have been seen on the thread showing my gratuitous lather pics. In case there are any that haven't made it onto that thread, here they all are.

Badgers

These were my staples until I discovered how good synthetics are these days.

Baxter/Mühle Rytmo 21mm best badger
Maggard aluminium 22mm two-band badger
Mühle Stylo 21mm silvertip badger

Synthetics

Here are the first 'gen 2' synthetics I acquired (in the order shown in the pic).

Mühle hjm 21mm black fibre
Mühle Kosmo 21mm silvertip fibre
Byron Shaving black aluminium 22mm synthetic

Custom synthetics

And finally, the most recent synthetics, with custom handles.

MaCroBs custom B&W acrylic barrel / 22mm Maggard B&W synthetic
MaCroBs custom black beehive / 22mm Maggard B&W synthetic

I'm afraid the dreaded acquisition disorder has hit me as hard with brushes as it has with every other aspect of wet shaving! I have a couple of additional customs heading my way in the next short while. I'll post more pics when they arrive.

Last edited:
Custom synthetics

And finally, the most recent synthetics, with custom handles.

MaCroBs custom B&W acrylic barrel / 22mm Maggard B&W synthetic
MaCroBs custom black beehive / 22mm Maggard B&W synthetic

I'm afraid the dreaded acquisition disorder has hit me as hard with brushes as it has with every other aspect of wet shaving! I have a couple of additional customs heading my way in the next short while. I'll post more pics when they arrive.
What are you using to fix the knots in the handles Alex? The knot in my EJ has come loose and needs a repair. Also, I'm going to have a look at my father's workshop and see what lathe equipment he has because I'm tempted to try and turn a couple of handles. If not I may follow your path.

What are you using to fix the knots in the handles Alex? The knot in my EJ has come loose and needs a repair. Also, I'm going to have a look at my father's workshop and see what lathe equipment he has because I'm tempted to try and turn a couple of handles. If not I may follow your path.
Nothing special - just a good 2-part epoxy resin available from any hardware store. Some folks use a silicon adhesive instead, which apparently allows the bond to be broken more easily if you want to change up the knot/handle combination in the future.

The way I did it was mix the two parts thoroughly (about 1-2 minutes) then apply a layer of the glue to the base of the knot and the base of the bored hole. Needs to be a decent amount on each, but not so much as to have it oozing up the side of the bore or the knot when plugged together. When you push the knot into place you'll need to apply some pressure to hold it straight for a few minutes, then leave it alone for at least a couple of hours to fully set. I'm over cautious so I left the brush to set overnight before using it for the first time.

If the knot has come completely out of the EJ handle you'll need to scrape the old glue from both surfaces to provide a clean area for the new epoxy to do its thing. If the knot is loose but not detached you may have a more difficult job, depending on how easy it is to pull the knot out without damaging it and/or the handle.

Good luck with this and turning your own handles if you go that direction. I'd be keen to try that myself - could have some real fun mixing different acrylic resin colours. Then again, I'm too fussy and probably not skilled enough to produce something I'd be happy with!

BTW those Maggard knots are very good. I got the 22mm x 65mm ones, giving a loft of about 52-54mm if set in the handle about 12-13mm deep, which is close to what I have on all my brushes, badger or synthetic. These Maggard B&W knots are soft, quite dense and with decent backbone. They behave similar to a badger but obviously don't hang onto water as much, which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned as it helps when building lather. I had a few bristles work loose the first half dozen or so times I used them - maybe 3-4 bristles each brush in total - but they've since settled down. My next customs will have EnvyShave Ubersoft 2 knots, so I'm keen to see how they compare to the Maggards. I have high hopes for them and expect them to be comparable to the 'silvertip' fibre knots from Mühle, but with more density.

BTW those Maggard knots are very good. I got the 22mm x 65mm ones, giving a loft of about 52-54mm if set in the handle about 12-13mm deep, which is close to what I have on all my brushes, badger or synthetic. These Maggard B&W knots are soft, quite dense and with decent backbone. They behave similar to a badger but obviously don't hang onto water as much, which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned as it helps when building lather. I had a few bristles work loose the first half dozen or so times I used them - maybe 3-4 bristles each brush in total - but they've since settled down. My next customs will have EnvyShave Ubersoft 2 knots, so I'm keen to see how they compare to the Maggards. I have high hopes for them and expect them to be comparable to the 'silvertip' fibre knots from Mühle, but with more density.
Thanks Alex
The Maggards and EnvyShave knots both look good as do the Acrylic Resin blanks from Bear Tooth Woods.

Bear Tooth Woods

If my father has everything that I need I'll practice on some wood blanks first and see what happens.

Nothing special - just a good 2-part epoxy resin available from any hardware store. Some folks use a silicon adhesive instead, which apparently allows the bond to be broken more easily if you want to change up the knot/handle combination in the future.

The way I did it was mix the two parts thoroughly (about 1-2 minutes) then apply a layer of the glue to the base of the knot and the base of the bored hole. Needs to be a decent amount on each, but not so much as to have it oozing up the side of the bore or the knot when plugged together. When you push the knot into place you'll need to apply some pressure to hold it straight for a few minutes, then leave it alone for at least a couple of hours to fully set. I'm over cautious so I left the brush to set overnight before using it for the first time.

If the knot has come completely out of the EJ handle you'll need to scrape the old glue from both surfaces to provide a clean area for the new epoxy to do its thing. If the knot is loose but not detached you may have a more difficult job, depending on how easy it is to pull the knot out without damaging it and/or the handle.

Good luck with this and turning your own handles if you go that direction. I'd be keen to try that myself - could have some real fun mixing different acrylic resin colours. Then again, I'm too fussy and probably not skilled enough to produce something I'd be happy with!
The knot is out completely and it shouldn't be too difficultvto clean up.

Top Bottom