What's new

What shampoos are best for dealing with oily hair?

I have a bit of an issue with my hair, in that it gets oily rather quickly. Like a day in after I've even changed sheets and washed, and it still gets oily by the next day. I've tried soaps from Stirling, VO5, and a few cheaper brands for shampoo. I'd still prefer to keep it somewhat cheap, but I'd settle for paying a bit more just so I can go two days without needing to shampoo again. What exactly might be a good shampoo for somewhat thick and oily hair?

I've been a barber for 54 years, and I think I can help. I recommend using a good strong shampoo like Prell, or one marketed for oily hair, which will be the same kind of product: a strong shampoo without a built-in conditioner. I recommend washing your hair with the rest of yourself every time you shower.

I would seriously consider not using shampoo for a while. Your scalp is overproducing oil to compensate for stripping it out with soap or shampoo. Your scalp will adjust. You can still rinse well with water.

I stopped using shampoo for a while (six months or so), and have used it only sparingly for the past few years. It has been a great success. These days my hair is so dry that I have to use creams to make it not stand on end. I shower at least once every day, often two times, so all the hot water that my hair gets is enough to keep it clean.

Neutrogena T/Sal or DHS Sal shampoo. Both contain an ingredient that specifically removes oil. You can try them once or twice a week and use your regular shampoo in between. Neutrogena also has an anti-residue shampoo that is to be used once a week, then regular shampoo.

Top Bottom