What's new

What sets an expensive high end brush apart from a cheaper high end brush

I was browsing Simpson brushes today on west coast shaving, and I cannot tell the difference between an almost $400 chubby in super badger and a M7 in super badger closer to $200.

Does 8mm difference in knot size take $150 more worth of hair? Are there different grades of silvertip and super badger? Does the handle cost more to produce?

This isn't a knock against any one type of brush, I'm just curious about why there is such a huge price difference between some of these brushes.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
With Simpson the price is mainly dependent on the type of hair and the weight of the hair. The cheapest natural Simpson hair type is Pure and the most expensive is Manchurian. A 20mm knot has an area of 3.14 square cm, whereas a 28mm knot has an area of 6.15 square cm which is a significant increase. The larger brush may well have a higher loft so the weight of hair may well be much more than double the smaller brush. In the case of the Major style brush I suspect there is additional manufacturing cost due to the complexity of the handle shape.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
With Simpson the price is mainly dependent on the type of hair and the weight of the hair. The cheapest natural Simpson hair type is Pure and the most expensive is Manchurian. In the case of the Major style brush I suspect there is additional manufacturing cost due to the complexity of the handle shape.
I like your explanation, friend, but mine was a WHOLE lot quicker to write....just sayin'!

What you pick also depends on what you like, so using the exact same brush

Chubby 2 cheapest to most expensive

Pure; lots of face feel
Best; less face feel
Super; even softer but you give up some backbone
2 Band Silvertip; little more face feel and more backbone
Manchurian; the most backbone that Simpson’s makes, more face feel than Silvertip

My personal favorite is the 2 Band Silvertip, for me it is the perfect balance.

YMMV

Last edited:

FarmerTan

I even edited it and added more detail Ambassador Tan. I have too much time on my hands - I should get a hobby. 🤣
"Ambassador Tan" kinda has a nice ring to it!

Ya know, I'm ALL about the "Titles" my friend! AND the "genuflectin'" if I understand the werd.

I'm THINKIN' seriously about runnin' for US President next time around.

Only problem is I'll have to get my dear old mother to be "First Lady" because the lovely War Department told me when we got married she would NEVER let me be a politician.... somethin' about lying ten times before breakfast if I remember right....

Now she realizes she made a terrible mistake: she's been telling everyone that will listen that she can always tell when I'm lyin':

My lips are moving! Can you BELIEVE the misery I put up with?!?

"Ambassador Tan" kinda has a nice ring to it!

Ya know, I'm ALL about the "Titles" my friend! AND the "genuflectin'" if I understand the werd.

I'm THINKIN' seriously about runnin' for US President next time around.

Only problem is I'll have to get my dear old mother to be "First Lady" because the lovely War Department told me when we got married she would NEVER let me be a politician.... somethin' about lying ten times before breakfast if I remember right....

Now she realizes she made a terrible mistake: she's been telling everyone that will listen that she can always tell when I'm lyin':

My lips are moving! Can you BELIEVE the misery I put up with?!?

BTW FarmbassadorTan, did you get your first big B&B executive profit sharing bonus cheque yet? I keep looking in the mailbox and it’s just bills and stupid shaving brushes and soap I ordered. No huge cheque. Not even an enrolment into a Jelly of the Month Club! Just sayin’. 🤪

FarmerTan

BTW FarmbassadorTan, did you get your first big B&B executive profit sharing bonus cheque yet? I keep looking in the mailbox and it’s just bills and stupid shaving brushes and soap I ordered. No huge cheque. Not even an enrolment into a Jelly of the Month Club! Just sayin’. 🤪
I was sworn to secrecy, but I'm pretty sure it involved cleaning stables.... sometimes it don't pay to have experience in animal husbandry...

FarmerTan

Attention: as an ADHD Ambassador, I expect you dudes to keep me in line.

Or better yet! Behave Yourself's like you are at your mean Gramma's house and all she has is old butterscotch hard candy in a dusty bowl and I won't lose this cushy job! Pay stinks, but the fringe benefits are.....wait. I haven't seen those yet!

Top Bottom