What's new

What SE razor to buy next...if any

Hi All,

I have been using my OneBlade Core exclusively for the last 14 months. I absolutely love it! The only negative, as has been stated before, are the blades. I love the Feathers, but can only get one shave out of them. I modified a Gem blade and shaved with it for the first time today. It was nearly as good as the Feather. If it lasts several shaves, it’ll be my go to blade.

In the meantime, I’m looking to possibly add another SE razor to my stable. I know little about all of the following razors and was hoping I could get some feedback as to how they compare to the OneBlade.

1. OneBlade Hybrid.

2. Focus Dynamic EVO.

3. Yaqi Katana and/or FS.

4. RazoRock ECO.

The OneBlade has the same issues as my Core, but if the Gem blades work, then it isn’t a big issue. The others all use 1/2 DE blades, so many more choices.

I really want a razor that’s as smooth and efficient as the OneBlade.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

I have tried many SE razors new and vintage and the smoothest one of all is the General by Colonial. Here is one I have with a short travel handle on it. I like short handles. Very smooth shaver and shaves close too.

General_01.JPG

Thanks. I actually have an MMOC coming. I tried a Feather Weight years ago but didn’t like it.

I was thinking more about modern SE razors right now, given how much I love the Core.

I have and enjoyed these GEM razors. I found the GEM blade can be better with stropping...
  1. Push Button
  2. Clog Pruf
  3. Junior
20201128_163735 (2).jpg

Recently I discovered AC razor/blades and WOW!!! I have long admired the Feather AC blades but they're quite expensive and especially the razors are even more expensive...So when Yaqi came out with 2 AC razors with affordable prices plus I was offered at cost, I jumped and took both, the heavier brass and lighted aluminum...I managed to find a local supplier of the Feather Proguard cheapest among all...lucky me.
1 shave from each razor and I love them! Super silky-smooth and easily more efficient than GC or Karve razors!
20210302_235846.jpg
20210303_214428.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
New SE razors:
Blackland Razors Vector (SB & OC Plates) (AC)
Blackland Razors Sabre L2 (GEM)
Colonial Razors The General (AC)
RazoRock Hawk V3 OC (AC)

Vintage SE razors:
GEM MMOC (GEM)
GEM Featherweight Deluxe (GEM)
Ever-Ready 1914 "Little Lather Catcher" (GEM)
Schick Type E (Injector)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have and enjoyed these GEM razors. I found the GEM blade can be better with stropping...
  1. Push Button
  2. Clog Pruf
  3. Junior
View attachment 1231543

Recently I discovered AC razor/blades and WOW!!! I have long admired the Feather AC blades but they're quite expensive and especially the razors are even more expensive...So when Yaqi came out with 2 AC razors with affordable prices plus I was offered at cost, I jumped and took both, the heavier brass and lighted aluminum...I managed to find a local supplier of the Feather Proguard cheapest among all...lucky me.
1 shave from each razor and I love them! Super silky-smooth and easily more efficient than GC or Karve razors!
View attachment 1231544 View attachment 1231545
MAN! I love your razor stands my friend!

@Chard52142 dude! I'm actually being serious for the first time all day! You are not only a genius, you are THIS cheap man's Super Hero!
I am very thankful...seriously grateful to B&B for the many info, advise, tips and most of all pictures! I am very passionate with everything shaving...DE, SE, SR, vintage & modern but many are too expensive. Gotta improvise wherever I can...hahaha
Thank you very much Sir but a genius I'm perhaps not...I am still unable to get my own SR shave-ready as yet... 😅

1. Push Button
  2. Clog Pruf
  3. Junior

View attachment 1231544

Thanks for your input about YaQi AC Razor. I was very curios about that razor. But never had change to buy it. It's always out of stock.

I have fairly recently got into SE shaving and will not now even consider DE shaving! Asides from your list there are other, fairly economical, options to consider:

1) Broman razor (if you can get one). Pivoting head - though slightly different to OneBlade - but equally easy to use and it takes any half or snapped DE blade which means endless blade choices!

2) Gillette Guard. Divisive as it is a ‘cartridge’ razor, but it is a pivoting single blade and few things have ever given me a quicker, better shave. May need to import from India but it is dirt cheap.

3) Any vintage Schick injector razor. I recently bought a second hand Type J and in all honesty it has been a true revelation and a ‘wow’ moment in my shaving journey. In the UK where I am they are less common on auction sites but in the USA they appear to be much more common. On Sunday I shaved with it using the Wilkinson Sword stick and it was genuinely in my top 5 shaves of all time.

I have fairly recently got into SE shaving and will not now even consider DE shaving! Asides from your list there are other, fairly economical, options to consider:

1) Broman razor (if you can get one). Pivoting head - though slightly different to OneBlade - but equally easy to use and it takes any half or snapped DE blade which means endless blade choices!

2) Gillette Guard. Divisive as it is a ‘cartridge’ razor, but it is a pivoting single blade and few things have ever given me a quicker, better shave. May need to import from India but it is dirt cheap.

3) Any vintage Schick injector razor. I recently bought a second hand Type J and in all honesty it has been a true revelation and a ‘wow’ moment in my shaving journey. In the UK where I am they are less common on auction sites but in the USA they appear to be much more common. On Sunday I shaved with it using the Wilkinson Sword stick and it was genuinely in my top 5 shaves of all time.

I saw the Broman, but have yet to see it in stock.

I already have two injectors. They were my go to razors until I got the Core. I don’t remember which models I have, but they’re earlier ones I believe. I like them, but can’t get nearly as good of a shave as I do with my OneBlade.

Thanks

I can only tell you what worked / works for me. That's the subjective part, the YMMV, so here it goes:

My first SE razor was Feather non-folding Japanese style shavette, the Artist Club. Great shaver, but it requires utmost attention. I'm not always in the mood for that. Actually, I'm seldom in the mood to be extra careful, so I rarely use it.

My second SE razor was RR Hawk v3-SB. Fantastic shaver, great handle (Bulldog), nice weight to it, excellent fit & finish.

My third (and hopefully the last) SE razor is Blackland Vector. Need I say more?

Now the objective part:

Unlike GEM or Schick injector, AC-type SE razors can accommodate a variety of blades, which all differ in both width and thickness. This blade variety makes it possible to alter razors mildness / aggressiveness beyond the head's physical design, which is a unique benefit/selling point.

So, if you want a great razor at reasonable price, I'd suggest get a Hawk. If you want an AC-SE razor like no other get a Vector.

Last edited:
I bought a Oneblade core and eventually jumped to the Genesis (I got it on sale last June for $199). I love it and use it more than any razor. I’m fortunate that my beard allows me to get 4 to 7 shades on one Feather blade. However, the Hybrid is frequently on sale for $99, and the that’s what I normally suggest because of the price difference.

Prior to the Oneblade, I really liked the Ever Ready 1911. I bought it eBay for like $10–looked brand new and even had the original box. If you like the Gem blades, it’s great. I’ve tried several other Gem razors, but the 1911 is by far my favorite.

New SE razors:
Blackland Razors Vector (SB & OC Plates) (AC)
Blackland Razors Sabre L2 (GEM)
Colonial Razors The General (AC)
RazoRock Hawk V3 OC (AC)

Vintage SE razors:
GEM MMOC (GEM)
GEM Featherweight Deluxe (GEM)
Ever-Ready 1914 "Little Lather Catcher" (GEM)
Schick Type E (Injector)
+1 in safety razors the Blackland Vector is a lot of fun and the vintage SE ASRs (Gem, ER, Star) give great fun shaves, are easily available, are low cost, and are really hard to beat, value wise. My personal favorites are the ER Streamline, next would be the MMFW or bullet tip, but they almost all give fun shaves. The only one that's somewhat pricey is the ER Streamline or Gem Jewel, and even those are not far out of line with many current offerings. Schick injector types are also fun, but again blade choice is somewhat limited.

IMHO your choice should start with the blade type(s) you want, and then the holder. As @DaveHStone noted there are more choices in the Artist Club blades and that allows for a more diverse, more tailored approach with one of those holders.

Top Bottom