What's new

what scale do you use/need a rec

linty1

My wallet cries.
I also got a little scale specifically for my Flair, reasonably cheap, think it was under £12 with free postage. I got one with 0.01g accuracy - its limit is 300g, but because it's only for espresso it won't be getting overloaded. And the accuracy makes a big difference in response speed / latency which is nice when measuring beans from the bag, and getting the yield right.

It sounds like we got a similar scale, I think mine only goes up to 500 grams, which is enough for one cup. I'll post photos when it arrives (lol I talk about it like its some big thing, its a $6cad (so whats that, like $0.50 usd?) scale from China) but still, exciting for me.

I got one with 0.01g accuracy - its limit is 300g, but because it's only for espresso it won't be getting overloaded.
I think you raise an excellent point.
Scale choice boils down to your intended use of the scale.

I was testing this morning to see if the "4:6 method" (by Tetsu Kasuya) scaled well to multiple cups of coffee and and I was pouring into my stainless steel Planetary Designs french press carafe.

The carafe + plastic Hario V60-02 + 32g coffee was more than 900g in weight before I added water (which would add another 540 g of water).
So even though maximum scale weight was not an original concern in my purchase, it came in play today (and thankfully my scale handles up to 2 kg).
So it definitely pays to consider your use case when buying a scale.

I think it is good to keep this thread going for the next person who is looking for a scale.

I think you raise an excellent point.
Scale choice boils down to your intended use of the scale.

I was testing this morning to see if the "4:6 method" (by Tetsu Kasuya) scaled well to multiple cups of coffee and and I was pouring into my stainless steel Planetary Designs french press carafe.

The carafe + plastic Hario V60-02 + 32g coffee was more than 900g in weight before I added water (which would add another 540 g of water).
So even though maximum scale weight was not an original concern in my purchase, it came in play today (and thankfully my scale handles up to 2 kg).
So it definitely pays to consider your use case when buying a scale.

I think it is good to keep this thread going for the next person who is looking for a scale.

Yes I agree. It's about the intended use for sure. My current coffee scale is perfectly suited to large volumes, and the drift I mention above would only be of concern to a real perfectionist when it comes to drip & pourover: timer, 2kg max weight etc. But for espresso it just isn't suitable: not fine, fast or small enough.

linty1

My wallet cries.
It arrived! And it is TINY:

51B9C79B-D10C-4CFF-9BF5-CEDC3492C33C.jpeg

243FFE67-2BCE-47ED-AA88-70D21F848235.jpeg

But its ok, I put a ketchup dipping cup/ramekin and it works to hold my beans after a tare.

linty1

My wallet cries.
So looking at the figures supplied by flair:

4A4E5804-F2CE-40AC-8C61-229FC217FB6F.jpeg

It looks like I -should- but putting in 20grams of coffee for a 2:1 ratio (water:beans) but... I can't get 20 grams of coffee into the portafilter (it even says, 12-18 grams dose)..... uh... what? Also doing my usual aeropress scoop, it looks like I've been around 15-16 grams.

So looking at the figures supplied by flair:

View attachment 1266097
It looks like I -should- but putting in 20grams of coffee for a 2:1 ratio (water:beans) but... I can't get 20 grams of coffee into the portafilter (it even says, 12-18 grams dose)..... uh... what? Also doing my usual aeropress scoop, it looks like I've been around 15-16 grams.
The 12-18g dose sounds reasonable for that machine. Looks like it accommodates higher ratios. My Rok/Presso could push out high ratios of water to beans with the original plunger design. The new GC (glass composite) cylinder reduced the water column capacity a little but is still greater than what most people need.

linty1

My wallet cries.
The 12-18g dose sounds reasonable for that machine. Looks like it accommodates higher ratios. My Rok/Presso could push out high ratios of water to beans with the original plunger design. The new GC (glass composite) cylinder reduced the water column capacity a little but is still greater than what most people need.

Thanks for that, completely agree. Today I went for 16 grams to 40 ml out, which is around 1 : 2.5 which I'm fine with, and I got a good result. He scale for me is just to help with consistancy, and honestly? I'm not sure you can even get 18grams into the portafilter, even at 16, I was pretty close to the shower screen touching the grounds, I think 18 would touch.

linty1

My wallet cries.
You know what I've quickly realized? Even though the scale was only $5, its too small and it was a waste of $5. I'm already wishing I had a bigger one to fit a mug on.

You know what I've quickly realized? Even though the scale was only $5, its too small and it was a waste of $5. I'm already wishing I had a bigger one to fit a mug on.
Too small in footprint? You could try and place something smaller underneath to support your cup, but that probably raises it too high and not very workable for ever day usage.

At least you only wasted $5. Just pretend it was a cup of Starbucks. :laugh:

linty1

My wallet cries.
Too small in footprint? You could try and place something smaller underneath to support your cup, but that probably raises it too high and not very workable for ever day usage.

At least you only wasted $5. Just pretend it was a cup of Starbucks. :laugh:

I tried, if I put something on top it covers up the reading. Oh well, its not a total loss, I'll take it to work and use it to dose beans there.

Top Bottom