What's new

What Russian shave gear do you use?

There’s a lot of blade brands made in St. Petersburg and Moscow. Gillette blades are from the PPI plant in St. Petersburg. My favorite blades are the Gillette Silver Blue made in the PPI plant
I visited St. Petersburg in 2014 via a 2-day cruise stop. I wish our agenda would have allowed me to do some shopping, but we had to stay on our ship overnight. In fairness, the, particularly the 'Winter Palace Tour' and Neva River dinner cruise were very enjoyable.

Does this count?

proraso blue art of shaving gillette toggle santa maria novella russa september 24 2019.jpg

Apart from lots of P&G blades I have some soaps from KatrineDo and Fenomeno Shave. Both artisans are pretty well-known among the Russian wetshaving community. KatrineDo products are pretty decent and inexpensive (at the pricepoint of the equivalent of 8-9$ per tub). Fenomeno on the other hand is quite pricey, especially for a local artisan (18-20$ per tub), however you can find some good deals. Qualitywise their triple milled soaps are exceptional.

Attachments

• 20211120_104855.jpg
    20211120_104855.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 16
Other than the blades, Homelike Taiga but for the needed a ATG pass in neck area which is weird with straight razor or shavette. (I know it’s a bit expensive solution and an unadjustable can do it but I couldn’t find one yet.)

Gilette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge
Gilette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless
Gilette Rubie Plus
Voskhod

Astra Superior Platinum*
Perma-Sharp*

* Not sure if they are made in Russia

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I visited St. Petersburg in 2014 via a 2-day cruise stop. I wish our agenda would have allowed me to do some shopping, but we had to stay on our ship overnight. In fairness, the, particularly the 'Winter Palace Tour' and Neva River dinner cruise were very enjoyable.
If you were there in winter I believe they raise the various bridges at night (or they used to)so you could run the risk of not getting back to where you are staying. I remember back in the day folks wouldn’t admit to going to Russia 😁
Of course I enjoy the abundance of blades. Gillette rubie is still on my want to try list. But. It much love (publicity) about those.

If you were there in winter I believe they raise the various bridges at night (or they used to)so you could run the risk of not getting back to where you are staying. I remember back in the day folks wouldn’t admit to going to Russia 😁
Of course I enjoy the abundance of blades. Gillette rubie is still on my want to try list. But. It much love (publicity) about those.
Our tour guide explained they still raise the bridges. I am a history buff, and would have no problem admitting I went to Russia or any country as a tourist.

77251338-AD75-43ED-97BE-5363A0C99916.jpeg
Blades (Polsilver, Wizamet, Gillette) and the START razor from Homelike shaving. I also have some soap samples from them which have performed very nicely.

Attachments

• 9DEA3FBE-731B-409A-986C-977746AA2103.jpeg
    9DEA3FBE-731B-409A-986C-977746AA2103.jpeg
    888.1 KB · Views: 12
  • B8567760-B130-4A9E-9DA7-65E8ED7B5F56.jpeg
    B8567760-B130-4A9E-9DA7-65E8ED7B5F56.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • E4861AFA-C5E6-4C23-A096-CB728DF062C8.jpeg
    E4861AFA-C5E6-4C23-A096-CB728DF062C8.jpeg
    969.3 KB · Views: 14
I think the numbers speak of themselves:
In my case: mostly Voskhod, RPL. I tried an aftershave gel by Gillette several years ago also made in Russia, found it average and it's been discontinued.
Also I have tried using tea instead of tap water for shaving and my kettle is Russian ... does that count?

Top Bottom