What's new

What razors do you still need?

Well, I have gone a completely different road. I enjoy a lot restoring old blades, which is why I end up buying in bulk. This has provided me with the chance to discover many extraordinary razors that no one would look twice at. This is not to say that I won't get myself a nice Filarmonica one of these days, perhaps, or an Iwasaki or whatnot. But I am not actively looking for anything in particular.

I have about 30 to 40 razors in my basement, waiting to be restored and I am positive there will be at least 5 that will surprise me.

I mean, this is how I came across a Kram razor, very nice looking but, let's face it, not the kind of razor someone would wake up longing to get one on ebay. "Hey, I think all I need a Kram and then I can call it a day." Can't see it happening, no, and yet this one is one of those razors I will never, ever part with. Absolute stonking razor.

Bottom line is I can't ever see myself being done looking.

Enviado desde mi G8341 mediante Tapatalk

At various times I have said to myself “I will stop when I have X # of razors.” That hasn’t worked. Then there are the times when I say to myself “All is need is Y brand and I’m done.” But then I’ll read a post on B&B and think “there is another brand/style to try out”. So recent posts have me looking for a rattler style, and there are still a few brands on my wish list. I just pulled the trigger on a razor yesterday, but I think that is my first one in a month, so at least I’m slowing down! :cool: About the best I can say is that I haven’t really fallen down the hole of getting matching sets of the same razor. Not yet anyway.

I will never be done, and I hope that you won’t be either! It’s too much fun…razors, stones, strops, etc etc etc!

I actually had my eye on an Easy Aces razor with the original bluing intact today on eBay…I forgot about it ending (got distracted with the six kids), and I forgot about it…it went for 50 some dollars! I felt like I was going to be sick, but someone got a really neat razor and I have plenty others to enjoy. Perhaps next time!

Vr

Matt

I alternate hands and I alternate both sides. Traditionally, only the omote side (non-stamped back) was used. This originated owing to the fact that wives would use this to shave their husband and that made it easy to use just the one side. But when properly horned, these things are wicked sharp and you can use both sides. Some say you need to change your angle when changing sides, but I have not noticed that.

Here is an excellent video of someone shaving with the Iwasaki kamisori:

Yeah not sure about that. Scales are half the fun for me.

Did I say I picked up a Swedish frameback? Make that two, LOL. At least I didn't spend a lot. Pics whenever they arrive.

I will never be done, and I hope that you won’t be either! It’s too much fun…razors, stones, strops, etc etc etc!

I actually had my eye on an Easy Aces razor with the original bluing intact today on eBay…I forgot about it ending (got distracted with the six kids), and I forgot about it…it went for 50 some dollars! I felt like I was going to be sick, but someone got a really neat razor and I have plenty others to enjoy. Perhaps next time!

Vr

Matt

I saw that one, too. Didn't really tick my boxes but it was really nice.

Yeah not sure about that. Scales are half the fun for me.
If you like scales, kamisori wraps may be of interest to you. They are quite varied, complex and have different finishes.

il_1140xN.2798141232_ekge.jpg

Did I say I picked up a Swedish frameback? Make that two, LOL. At least I didn't spend a lot. Pics whenever they arrive.

I saw that one, too. Didn't really tick my boxes but it was really nice.

The name “Easy Aces” has meaning to me, and the bluing on the tang is really neat. I am kicking myself for getting distracted…but wasn’t meant to be today!

Vr

Matt

PS. Swedish frame-back razors are great! I should use my Engstrom later in the week!

King Pelican 32, maybe another filli 14 and maybe some other nice Japanese razors. Always looking for a cool to different razor but trying to keep the collection small for the next year or so while I am in between things in life ha

Need? None. Probably will acquire...

I buy new razors online, I buy vintage razors in the wild or on B/S/T.

Not haunting auctions and the quality restored razor sites is saving what little sanity I still possess. I still have plenty of restoration razors enqueued, and plenty of restoration techniques to acquire and improve. But...

New?

My first new razors buys and the majority of my vintage razor finds have overpopulated my 5/8 inventory, so I won't buy a new or NOS 5/8. So...

Wider/heavier, I'm thinking about:
RSF / Ertan Süer / Gustave La Lune (more!)
Wacker
Aust
Koraat, a heavy grind
maybe Revisor (less wide than the big guy I have)

Top Bottom