What's new

What razor should I try next!

I made the switch at the beginning of the year from cartridge to a safety razor.
I bought a Blackland Titanium DE razor with the regular and lite base plate & a Timeless Titanium razor, both with the .68 & .95 base plates. I find the Timeless .68 base plate is a nice smooth shave for me. The Timeless .95 is to rough for me, as it cuts me up. The Blackland base plate also is rough and cuts me up, the lite base plate is not that bad, a few nick here and there. I just recently tried and returned the Henson TI Mild, since it cut me up real bad. I’m still healing from the battle wounds of this razor.
Anyway, I was just curious as I was looking out there for another razor. I had an eye on the Carbon CX-TI 22. I like the titanium razor since they are lite. I have sensitive skin and shave every other day. I am reaching out to see what the razor community and there opinion.

There's a million choices. What do you want that you aren't getting with the Blackland you have now? Do you have a price range in mind? Are you at all interested in vintage stuff?

If you like light weight, maybe a single edge (SE) would be good.

Since you like or prefer titanium, I would reccomend the H&S ZO74 or their Efficient razor. I enjoy the NO75 with neutral blade exposure.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Looks like you're not afraid to drop some cash on your razors. I would recommend the RazoRock Lupo .72 Open Comb. Not really that expensive for a stainless steel razor and it shaves great.

Yates 921. Build your own option so you can pick ti, steel or brass and any baseplate you want. Dial it in however you want.

Karve Overlander ( aluminum since you prefer light)… no brainer and good for learning angles and pressure.

I made the switch at the beginning of the year from cartridge to a safety razor.
I bought a Blackland Titanium DE razor with the regular and lite base plate & a Timeless Titanium razor, both with the .68 & .95 base plates. I find the Timeless .68 base plate is a nice smooth shave for me. The Timeless .95 is to rough for me, as it cuts me up. The Blackland base plate also is rough and cuts me up, the lite base plate is not that bad, a few nick here and there. I just recently tried and returned the Henson TI Mild, since it cut me up real bad. I’m still healing from the battle wounds of this razor.
Anyway, I was just curious as I was looking out there for another razor. I had an eye on the Carbon CX-TI 22. I like the titanium razor since they are lite. I have sensitive skin and shave every other day. I am reaching out to see what the razor community and there opinion.

Is it possible that something in either your prep or technique is causing issues?

For sure, everyone is going to have razors that work better than others. However, you seem to be reporting quite a bit of cuts and nicks.

This makes me think that perhaps some other factor is potentially at play here. If so, then buying yet another razor may obfuscate the problem somewhat but not eliminate it.

It may help to describe your method and also indicate whether you've mapped the direction of your beard growth.

I don’t know what you’re trying to do. You’ve spent already $500-600 on razors in less than 4 months and you’re not getting satisfactory results and now you’re looking to buy another expensive razor ?
Don’t buy anything. Perfect your technique. A fine shave can be had w any razor. If you had asked for advice at the beginning we could have had you shaving well w an under $15 razor.
If you can return those titanium razors, you should. Get yourself a Tech or Lord L5 or, better yet, a Schick injector. Use Personna Lab Blues with the DE or Chinese Schicks w the injector. Then PRACTICE. Don’t buy anything until your technique is perfect. Then don’t buy anything anyway. It’s about shaving, not stuff.

I had the same experience with the Timeless, though mine is stainless steel. The 95OC was too much so I picked up the 68SCL plate and for me it could easily be my one and only modern razor. It is simply the smoothest razor that I own and gives me a close shave with zero irritation.

The runners-up for me are the Razorock 68P and Feather ASD2, though neither shave as effortlessly as my Timeless razor.

Having said all of that, I find myself shaving with one of my vintage pre-war Techs more often than any other razor.

Bottom line: If I had to reduce my stable of razors to one modern and one vintage it would be the Timeless 68SCL and a pre-war Tech.

It’s about shaving, not stuff.

...but...it is also about stuff. :biggrin1:

It's true though that the advice for OP to practice is solid.

OP, the Henson mild was originally marketed for women to shave their legs. The design of those razors is such that it is almost impossible to mess up with one, because they are able to compensate for all but the worst technique - it can be too mild for many people, but if it gives you trouble enough to "cut you up real bad" then there is definitely something wrong.

Pick a razor that works for you and do 30 shaves with it on the trot, without changing anything (except fresh blades when necessary). Sell the stuff that doesn't work. Add to the stable again once you have more experience under your belt and know what you want in your next razor. Most of us who you see with huge razor collections have acquired them over many years. We started slow and put in our time with each one, learning to use it optimally. The ability to switch between razors at will is something that takes quite a bit of experience to pull off - when you are starting out, just trying to master one razor is more than enough for most folks.

Of course, you are free to spend your money how you like, but the point is that at this stage it isn't going to be more razors that give you a better shave - it's more practice with the razor(s) you already have.

...but...it is also about stuff. :biggrin1:

It's true though that the advice for OP to practice is solid.

OP, the Henson mild was originally marketed for women to shave their legs. The design of those razors is such that it is almost impossible to mess up with one, because they are able to compensate for all but the worst technique - it can be too mild for many people, but if it gives you trouble enough to "cut you up real bad" then there is definitely something wrong.

Pick a razor that works for you and do 30 shaves with it on the trot, without changing anything (except fresh blades when necessary). Sell the stuff that doesn't work. Add to the stable again once you have more experience under your belt and know what you want in your next razor. Most of us who you see with huge razor collections have acquired them over many years. We started slow and put in our time with each one, learning to use it optimally. The ability to switch between razors at will is something that takes quite a bit of experience to pull off - when you are starting out, just trying to master one razor is more than enough for most folks.

Of course, you are free to spend your money how you like, but the point is that at this stage it isn't going to be more razors that give you a better shave - it's more practice with the razor(s) you already have.

I agree.

My problem was buying a bunch of shiny new razors right off. In addition to buying every $5-10 vintage razor at every local antique store, I bought three stainless steel Razorock Game Changers: 68P, 68OC, 84P...

...but didn't use any of the RR razors for at least a couple of months. By that time I was an "OK" shaver and confident enough to use them without slicing up my face.

As @Quasimodo said: any razor will work...once your technique is solid.

Anyway, I was just curious as I was looking out there for another razor. I had an eye on the Carbon CX-TI 22. I like the titanium razor since they are lite. I have sensitive skin and shave every other day. I am reaching out to see what the razor community and their opinion.
Well because you have components you like, and component you don’t like.

Sell off the stuff you do not like to chase new dream razor. Plus offset costs.

Honestly if I found something I like well, trying many blade would be my next move.

To see if I found a more likable situation.

throw_a_dart_S.png

It sounds like you need more practice developing your technique. If your getting cut up from those razors, you need more practice. I would concentrate on prep, lather, light touch, blade selection, etc. The razors you have are all great shavers.

Top Bottom