What's new

What razor is this?/with pics!

Hello gentleman,

Finally took some pictures of the Gillette. Seems like a ball end to me!

Says in the inscriptions it had:

Reissue pat. no. 17567.

Pics below!

The NEW's and Goodwill variations are all great shavers. They all use an advanced design for the thinner NEW blade to perfect the cutting angle.

JUst about any open comb razor is aggressive, especially those 1930's models

I don't think "open comb" automatically makes a razor aggressive. There are several other factors that also come into play that determine how aggressive a razor is. My Gillette long comb New is one of the most comfortable razors I have. Just my 2 cents, of course. YMMV.:biggrin1:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
JUst about any open comb razor is aggressive, especially those 1930's models

The open comb can also be very mild. A lot depends on what handle is on it. The heavier the handle the more aggressive the razor. To the OP I love the GoodWill.

What is the purpose of the open comb?

The theory is that it allows more lather to actually contact the blade, giving more lubrication, which should give a smoother, closer shave. It also gives an infinite blade gap between the teeth, which supposedly channels longer hairs to the blade, which allows those hairs a greater probability of standing up to come into contact with the blade so they are more effectively cut instead of being bent down by a safety bar. Open combs are great shavers, IMO.:thumbup1:

The theory is that it allows more lather to actually contact the blade, giving more lubrication, which should give a smoother, closer shave. It also gives an infinite blade gap between the teeth, which supposedly channels longer hairs to the blade, which allows those hairs a greater probability of standing up to come into contact with the blade so they are more effectively cut instead of being bent down by a safety bar. Open combs are great shavers, IMO.:thumbup1:

Wow, I didn't know. I'm thinking that it might also help keep my Van Dyke trimmed around the sides my mouth, my Merkur gets bunged up if I try to push it too deep through the beard.

Top Bottom