What's new

What razor do you use to edge your beard?

Looking for recommendations. I currently use a Gillette Aristocrat #66 to shave my neck and edge up my cheek line. Its a bit tricking edging the cheek line with the head of the razor being in the way. I was thinking of using a Parker shavette, but I am a little skittish using it as I have not use a straight style razor before. So what are you guys using?

I was using a keen cutter without the guard for a few months.
Vintage_Keen_Kutter_Single_Edge_Safety_Razor,_Junior_Model,_Simmons_Hardware_Company,_St._Loui...jpg

Then i bought a dovo shavette. Been using it for about 5yrs. I did try using a double edge, but they do kinda get in the way when you're shaving the upper beard line.

I like switching between the dovo and the personna "cobra". The SE doesn't really get in the way like a DE

dovo-shavette-straight-razor-blue-with-black-handle_800x1028.jpg

il_794xN.2476883592_1uxm.jpg

I was using a keen cutter without the guard for a few months.
View attachment 1178680

Then i bought a dovo shavette. Been using it for about 5yrs. I did try using a double edge, but they do kinda get in the way when you're shaving the upper beard line.

I like switching between the dovo and the personna "cobra". The SE doesn't really get in the way like a DE

View attachment 1178682

View attachment 1178683

Thanks for your reply, what is the razor pictured last?

If you need a tight beard line to follow , nothing I have found works better than a Gillette Tech ( ball end is my favorite) , Schick Injector, Bic Metal disposable ,or Shavette. I have been looking at the Blackland Vector, and Razorock hawk V3 but I experience no experience in using them.

I find straight bar DEs or SEs much more manageable than straights or shavettes. I really only use a few OC razors, but they do seem to be a bit trickier.

I use a straight.... because I like to. But a 3 piece style DE works very well. I think the more aggressive the better for CHOP!ing straight through in 1 swoop. The milder razors seem to take to many hacks to get a line if you need to remove some excess or accidental overgrowth and the twist to open have a tendency to seem a bit bulky to really see what is going on.

If you use a straight for your cheek line, beware of both ends of the razor. when you are watching one end next to the mustache the other can be right up there about to tickle your eye ball.

I personally use a Gillette Super Speed to line mine up. Probably a straight or shavette is going to be the easiest because you can see exactly where the edge of the blade is though.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Gillette Old Type. Since I Grew out a bead I only shave my neck every few days, and have whittled my routine down to 1 XTG pass and trim up the beard line with the GOT , and 1 WTG pass with a Tech or some other mild razor.

I use a straight now, but have used shavettes as well. For the neck line, the vintage Schick Injector works just great and very smooth. You can get them on eBay for $5 to $10 and blades are widely available. For me, it's not the tool, but my ability to define the lines and place them accordingly.

Top Bottom