What's new

What razor did your dad use?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Schick Injector butterscotch handle and green brassing. I remember it well.

My Father had a couple of Gillette's - as best I remember there was a silver ball ended Tech and a late 50's flare tip Superspeed. When I was quite young my Mom got Dad a white Sunbeam electric razor that he used for years. The DE's were always sitting in a red plastic cup in the medicine cabinet for years. They eventually disappeared never to be seen again. My Dad still shaves with an electric and gets a big kick out of my brush soap and DE routine.

My dad had a full beard for most of my childhood, but I remember him using disposables and Barbasol foam later on.

The smell of that foam still brings back memories.

The earliest razor I can remember my dad shaving with was a Gillette Atra... one of the solid, heavy metal ones.

I'd love to find one of those razors to add to my collection someday. I don't know if I'd ever use it, but it might be nice for sentimental value.

While I have memories of my Dad shaving, I can't recall any specific razor. I grew up in the late 70's / early 80's so surely he used a cartridge, maybe even disposables. I asked him once what he used when he was younger and he told me he had a rolls that he bought while he was stationed in Japan. I bought one not long ago when my dad was planning a visit in July. He showed up with a beard! So, while I showed him the rolls, and he reminisced, he wasn't interested in a shave.

1963 Slim Adustable
No Date British Tech

How do I know ?

My sons are using them for their weekly shave :smile:

( then he went 'lectric and still uses one till this day )

Last edited:
Gillettes, superspeeds mainly and then phillishaves when he went electric. I remember him walking around with dots of tissue stuck to the blood spots and showing me a styptic pencil. He passed away before I started shaving with de's and I'm sure he'd have thought I was barmy. Especially using a straight. I got a 63 superspeed for myself today and had a great shave. Shaving was always chore for my Dad, not the time out, relaxing experience I've come to regard it as.

Wish I remembered! Know I started off with the same razor in the mid 50s. Know it was a Gillette. Know it was a TTO. Know it was silver in color. Know it wasn't an adjustable. Know it was closed comb. Guess it was probably a SuperSpeed. Just wish I remembered what it was.

The only other thing I've ever heard him say was that at one point, he had shaved with a SE blade. No razor, just holding the blade in his hand and shaving with it.

Now THAT's manly! To be honest, that's how I cut my hair. I go for a somewhat layered scruffy look and a razor cut is perfect for that. I used to use a straight for the purpose but my poor Double Arrow is horribly dull and it got painful. A post-shaveworthy SE blade makes a nice substitute, and is more maneuverable.

I was not all that interested in razors as such while my dad was alive. He used a Gillette DE safety razor, and it was probably a SS, since I don't recall it being adjustable. I don't recall him ever buying a new one, but I might not have noticed.

My first razor, which he bought for me when I was around 15, was also some sort of Gillette DE, and I think it was adjustable. As I say, I wasn't really all that interested at the time, and in my twenties I began a long interval of using twin bladed cartridges.

I wish I had both of those razors today, my dad's and my first one. You never know what's going to be important to you later.

I only ever saw my father shave with an atra style razor. After talking to him about DE's he mentioned he had one with a faux ivory knob. I'm guessing vintage Merkur progress or something. Alas they've disappeared as the years have gone by. He said he had about 5 in the hay days of DE's, I'm guessing the AD's run in the family. I think the man needs a DE for Christmas, well that solves that problem lol.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
My dad used a 1951 Gillette X-1 (black-tipped ) which I still have and use every year on the anniversary of his birthday along with Old Spice aftershave which is what he used as well.

He then went to a '67 black-handled SS which I have although it is not his original razor.

After that he went to a TracII which is what I started to shave with and then went on to use an Atra which I believe is the last razor he ever used.

R

rainman

Fatboy, Slim handle Tech, Gillette Injector. Wish I had them. I believe they got tossed when he picked up a Sensor. Can't ask him now. My identification of them is from memory as a kid. I remember when I was 12 shaving the sides of my head with the fatboy. I didn't know what the dial was and I think I used it at 9!

A Schick Injector L1. He's always had a pretty much full beard but used this around the neck, cheeks and under the bottom lip.

I think he now uses twin blade throw-aways as injector blades are now unavailable here.

I ivivdly remember the Injector as I took a good chunk out of my chin with it when I was about 14.:eek:

Earliest one I remember was a black handled super adjustable. Funny though, he didn't keep any of them. He still has a JHL set that my mother gave him. Came with a Marble/Gold razor stand, marble handled badger brush, gold with inlaid marble TracII handle, and a marble bowl with JHL shaving soap. He still has that, unused, with the box. My grandmother on the other hand, who is 93, gave me her S1 super adjustable, and this trip gave me a K2 slim.:smile:

Top Bottom