What's new

What razor cured your RAD?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
RAD is incurable. Mine goes into remission, sometimes even staying there for a long time, but it eventually rears its ugly head again.

I suppose the ultimate cure for my RAD would be to get off this forum and never get on it again. Can't want a razor I don't even know exists, right?
You expressed perfectly what I have been thinking. I'm only truly tempted by the old stuff. To me that old stuff was the pinnacle. I can get user grade stuff for pennies compared to new stuff. And I'm cheap. And halfway to the poorhouse. True story doggone!

Rex Ambassador has may have succeeded on the modern side. Wolfman WR2 1.15/WRH2 80mm came in this week—ergonomics & craftsmanship are both superb but jury is still out on its performance.

I don’t consider my razor acquisition a disorder as such, rather as being a collector of vintage Gillette’s. I have somewhere in the vicinity of 100-110 Gillette razors, 10 vintage non-Gillette de safety razors, and 10 modern de safety razors. There are quite a few razors in my collection that I haven’t gotten around to trying out yet, but I’ll eventually give them all a test drive. Up until a few weeks ago, my most used razors were all British Aristocrats. But then I bought a British #77, a raised flat bottom razor that I rate very highly. I had been on the lookout for one for a long time. I had noticed a couple for sale, but they were case less, and in less than perfect condition. But then I spotted one on eBay in a green Bakelite case, with both blade banks, and everything about the set was pristine. Best purchase I’ve made in a long time.
55BCA7FF-A47C-4651-BE72-3CB1C2B18C76.jpeg
F377CC0D-F89C-4CCC-B842-C8F1ACDEB610.jpeg
329E093C-68FC-4F76-BCD0-B0BD952E2207.jpeg
0F51390F-3670-483A-9BA7-E25784229862.jpeg

My first DE Razor was a Rockwell 6s and my second was a Gillette Slim "birthday" date code. I have not seen the need to acquire anything else so far as those have been great, though the Rex Ambassador or a Rockwell Model T might tempt me eventually.

Mine has been lately , realizing most razors are great with practice. Then decide what you visually or structurally prefer. I love my 1912's but wanted something better built. PAA and Blackland then showed up. I can get great shaves off of most of my razors. You have to decide what factors came to play.pre shave shower? Soap? New blade or corked new blade? Shave cream plus soap. Hurried shave or not?

The next one... LOL

Seriously I only have three more razors on my sights before I plan to quit and stick to what I have. It will bring my rotation up to 2 weeks long so thats more than enough of a lag period before I use a particular razor again, I think.

Gents,

It’s still early, and require more time to be sure, but the Wolfman 1.25 SB has cured it. If adjustments, they will be minor, and they will be Wolfman. The WR2 is amazing.

DW

If the Rex Ambassador had a longer handle, I think I would have tried it on this (thankfully) hopeless journey to find a razor to cure my RAD. I really like what Rex Suppy Co did in re-imagining this adjustable razor and the clear efforts to perfect it (length of the handle aside ... I joke). Much respect.

i really love the handle length on my Rex. Great balance. But that’s me. Lord knows YMMV!

View attachment 1210815
After several years of crazy collection of razors, I already have 100 razors. Returning to Gillette tech by accident during the rotation, it is so mild, effective, cheap, comfortable and easy to use, at that moment I think my RAD has been cured.

My '80 Gillette Super Speed because its my birth year razor, so it has special meaning to me. Ive owned many, many difference razors and can get a great shave with pretty much any of them, so then its down to using a razor that has personal meaning.

i really love the handle length on my Rex. Great balance. But that’s me. Lord knows YMMV!
Don't quote me on this, but I could swear I read or saw a video where the proprietor, Matthew, was saying that they were going to come out with a longer handle option for the Envoy, so I'm hoping a longer handle comes out for the Ambassador.

Proportionately, I just think that the 90cm length [from baseplate, excluding any recessed baseplate] looks better on most razor heads than 80cm. If a 90cm option ever emerges, I would like to take the Ambassador out for a spin.

I really like the look of the Parker Variant, but I won't buy anything that isn't stainless (or possibly titanium).

i didn't have a bad case but was always looking for something better. Once I got a Timeless Ti .95 OC I was home. Adding a scalloped plate was just icing on the cake. Can't imagine ever wanting anything more.
I have a Timeless SS. .95 Scalloped, my Titanium Handle came in a week ago and my. .95 OC Titanium base will be here Monday , and today I ordered the Titanium cap. Will use the shorter handle Titanium with the lighter Titanium head, and the longer SS with the heavier SS head.

Gents,

It’s still early, and require more time to be sure, but the Wolfman 1.25 SB has cured it. If adjustments, they will be minor, and they will be Wolfman. The WR2 is amazing.

DW
I am 7 months out on a Wolfman, as of right now Timeless .95 has cured me until my name is up for a Wolfman.

View attachment 1210815
After several years of crazy collection of razors, I already have 100 razors. Returning to Gillette tech by accident during the rotation, it is so mild, effective, cheap, comfortable and easy to use, at that moment I think my RAD has been cured.

My RAD will never be cured. Often I thought it would be after acquiring yet another gorgeous vintage razor. Yet it always come back.

But if I had to I too could live with only having a standard Tech or a Slim.

Don't quote me on this, but I could swear I read or saw a video where the proprietor, Matthew, was saying that they were going to come out with a longer handle option for the Envoy, so I'm hoping a longer handle comes out for the Ambassador.

Proportionately, I just think that the 90cm length [from baseplate, excluding any recessed baseplate] looks better on most razor heads than 80cm. If a 90cm option ever emerges, I would like to take the Ambassador out for a spin.

I really like the look of the Parker Variant, but I won't buy anything that isn't stainless (or possibly titanium).

I heard the same thing and hope the rumor is true, to give shavers another option. Makes sense that he would test the market with 3 piece Envoy first as new 2 piece Rex handle is likely more expensive to redesign.

Top Bottom