What's new

What razor cured your RAD?

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Spot on. I began gobbling up vintage DEs I saw for the sake of having them.

This was me up to about a year or two ago. I would grab every vintage razor I could find in the wild at a reasonable price. Scouring flea markets was my thing. And constant searching online for good deals too. Then after about a three year hunt I found a mint Hybrid Tech. They are rare as hen’s teeth. And I hunted that one extremely hard. But I had to pay for it. Not usually my thing to pay fair market prices for a vintage. But it felt great to not need to hunt for that any more! So I went down my vintage bucket list and got them all... Bristish Aristocrat, Psycho Tech, Toggle, etc. I have not bought a vintage razor since. The only thing left is a birthday M-4 Lady Starburst razor, but my drive to find that is quite dull in comparison. So I have effectively killed my vintage RAD. It took a couple hundred razors to do it, but it’s gone now. Modern razors are a different story. There is always that new next best thing coming out.

In my case it wasn't a razor that cured my RAD, but my improved technique, cold water prep, face mapping, finding the best blades for my face and using very slick soaps and creams. Although not all razor shave me the same, I can get an effortless and irritation free BBS anytime with ease with pretty much any razor and I highly doubt that there's a razor out there that can amaze me with anything regardless of the price and quality.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Each razor cured my different RAD symptoms:
。Balance and comfort-Timeless ti 68 sc
。Visual Aesthetics-Pils101NE
。Well-designed mechanical sense + Excellent non-slip handle-Rex Ambassador
。Exquisite experience from the Far East-Feather AS-D2
。The perfect era of 007 / James Bond-Gillette Slim
I also love my Razorock GC and Mamba....

I admit that this is a bit cheating, but I really enjoy their beauty when I rotate each knife, and it has indeed stopped my RAD during the current period.

I never had much of RAD to begin with but I was searching for a razor that will be my main razor, with couple razors I would grab when I get bored.

For me this razor was Rockwell 6S.

Maybe there are better razors than this one. They give better/smoother/more comfortable/you name it shaves. But this one shaves good enough that I don't really need to search anymore. I still sometimes purchase an interesting razor. Last one was FOCS after reading many rave reviews.

Enablers be damned!! It wasn't until I had tried about 30 different shavers and almost 2yrs into traditional wet shaving that I finally broke down and bought the end all for me and made me sell all other razors I had as I just never used them anymore!!

That razor was a Timeless Ti95SB that I used exclusively for a year and then upgraded it to a DC base plate OC/SB and it is what I searched tirelessly for and now even though I read all the threads and posts from those enablers, I don't have the desire to chase the next best and greatest razor as they do only to chase the next and greatest to be released 6 months later!!

I wanted to be able to get the exact same shave every time I shaved and it finally hit me that it wasn't going to happen with 2+ different razors because imo, no 2 shavers shave exactly alike!! I now get a 2 pass BBS every shave out with results that last well into the 16-20hr range and has made me an every other day shaver because there simply isn't enough stubble to shave comfortably every 24hrs and it is the Ti95DC which has enabled me to do that and I am ok with that being the last razor I will ever have to buy!!!
Ti95DC.jpg

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Enablers be damned!! It wasn't until I had tried about 30 different shavers and almost 2yrs into traditional wet shaving that I finally broke down and bought the end all for me and made me sell all other razors I had as I just never used them anymore!!

That razor was a Timeless Ti95SB that I used exclusively for a year and then upgraded it to a DC base plate OC/SB and it is what I searched tirelessly for and now even though I read all the threads and posts from those enablers, I don't have the desire to chase the next best and greatest razor as they do only to chase the next and greatest to be released 6 months later!!

I wanted to be able to get the exact same shave every time I shaved and it finally hit me that it wasn't going to happen with 2+ different razors because imo, no 2 shavers shave exactly alike!! I now get a 2 pass BBS every shave out with results that last well into the 16-20hr range and has made me an every other day shaver because there simply isn't enough stubble to shave comfortably every 24hrs and it is the Ti95DC which has enabled me to do that and I am ok with that being the last razor I will ever have to buy!!!
View attachment 1211817
Simplicity = Bliss. Congrats.

Henson Aluminum (medium), then Henson Titanium (aggressive). I had to get the Razorock stainless steel Lupo (2nd generation), which IMHO beats out the Wolfman WR1, Carbon and H&S P076 in all performance categories. I do not think I can find another razor that can perform better, and with the comfort of the Henson series or the overall performance of the SS Lupo generation 2. I am cured. I still have my collection of vintage, artisan, and commercial razors to enjoy.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
For me the cure was figuring out a combination of soap, brush, razor, blade, and technique that I could reliably and consistently use for a BBS with no irritation without taking an unduly long time to shave, i.e., three passes and minimal touch up. Having good blade life was a desired bonus aspect. I am pretty much there and as result no longer posting my daily shave apparatus because it won't foreseeably change. I have been wet shaving since the mid-1960s. I have a reasonably heavy beard and shave daily. It took a few changes along the way, but for me I am "there," thanks largely to this forum. Hot water splash for the pre. MdC fougere with either a Kent BK4 or a Simpson T2 synthetic. Three passes with a Crystal in a Feather AS-D2. Aftershave splash. Perfect results every time. No nicks, no weepers, no stubble, no irritation, and between three weeks and a month per blade. Of course my story may not work for you. If one of my brushes were to wear out, I'd jump on another Simpson synthetic with no hesitation.

My case of RAD went into remission with the arrival of my Rex Ambassador, I've used it every shave for the last six months. Last night was 3.5 with a Feather and as I type this, its been 15 hours and I can just start to feel stubble. Yep, so far not even a hint of RAD...

My case of RAD went into remission with the arrival of my Rex Ambassador, I've used it every shave for the last six months. Last night was 3.5 with a Feather and as I type this, its been 15 hours and I can just start to feel stubble. Yep, so far not even a hint of RAD...
If the Rex Ambassador had a longer handle, I think I would have tried it on this (thankfully) hopeless journey to find a razor to cure my RAD. I really like what Rex Suppy Co did in re-imagining this adjustable razor and the clear efforts to perfect it (length of the handle aside ... I joke). Much respect.

RAD is incurable. Mine goes into remission, sometimes even staying there for a long time, but it eventually rears its ugly head again.

I suppose the ultimate cure for my RAD would be to get off this forum and never get on it again. Can't want a razor I don't even know exists, right?

Top Bottom