What's new

What razor/blade did you use today

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Yates 921-EH / Nacet (2)
20220606_101533.jpg

20220606_101146.jpg

I started this shave DRY, without any lubrication. I found the Yates is mild enough to do so, even with the EH plate.

Efficiency was superb, my cheeks burnt a little when applying Aqua Velva.

The stand is from Anself, it is SS, not chromed. Or also fits Flatboy 72 and Blackbird.

No wonder Yates is doing so many razors for other brands. Quality and head design are excellent. This is the machined only version, it comes in a very nice tin box.

As I just had two days growth I tried a dry shave - worked out nicely. The Wunderbar and the Yates 921-EH are asking the few razors where that truly works.

I would suggest almost everyone to get the H or EH plate though. It isn't much more aggressive but adds quite some efficiency!

I like the Yates a lot!

But next is the Timeless Bronze Open Comb .78 again, with this one I rather do not shave dry. Unless I would wish to die, that's it. 🤪

Edit: brand new windows in the background, don't wonder.

Razor: Blackland Vector (41)
Blade: KAI Captain Titan Mild Pink (1)
Pre-Shave: Hot Shower
Lather: Stirling Soap Co Sheep
Aftershave: Cold water rinse; Alum block;Thayer’s Witch Hazel Aloe Vera Coconut;

1 nick; No irritation; Very Close and Very smooth. A pleasant DFS+ shave. Steep angle shave. 4 passes.

The alum report was actually low.

I’m thinking additional stretching might solve the nick issue with a new blade.

Shave Log 20220604

Cheers!!!

I have been wanting to check the "vintage blade" box, and I did it this morning. I used my 1950 Super Speed that I got over the weekend with one of its original V2 Blue blades. I face lathered my Arko stick with my Semogue 820 boar brush. This combo was made for each other. I also followed up with some La Toja balm.
PXL_20220606_124128837.jpg

I'm glad I checked the box, but let's just say that modern blades are much more comfortable. This blade did a DFS+ job with two passes and touch ups without yielding a single drop of blood. But it felt like the blade was breaking my whiskers instead of cutting them--lots of tugging. At times, it almost felt like it was bouncing along my skin. The effect did cause me to go very carefully. That's good, right?

I used the diagonal slide technique on my cheeks that all the vintage Gillette instructions advise, which seemed to help actually. I will definitely try that technique with a modern blade.

The La Toja balm gave me a tiny bit of sting even though it is "Sin Alcohol," which calmed down very quickly and left my face feeling very soft. I like this balm.

Last edited:
Hehe, I know the problem! Found a nice stainless steel one that is relatively inexpensive and fits Yates, Blackbird and Flatboy. It's an Anself, post incoming. What type is your GEM razor stand?
Glad to hear you found a nice affordable stainless stand fitting most of your awesome razors! The brass GEM razor stand is an aircon lug nut adapter...similar to the stand for the Karve...

Top Bottom