What's new

What razor/blade did you use today

IMG_1866.JPG

I got myself a couple R41 clones from aliexpress, and I was itching to try them today. They looked half decent, so I tried to replicate my last setup with the real R41. Bic chrome, a bottom shim, soap and all the rest the same. Blade alignment was fiddly, the razor had the tendency to kick it to one side. After a little fiddling it got in the ballpark.

Now I am not shying away from efficient razors, in fact I much prefer the R41 with a shim, I find it very good like this. I have wiry whiskers that require efficiency to avoid irritation.

So, how was the chinese R41?

BRUTAL!

No exaggeration, I was genuinely scared. Even more than the first time I went from disposables to DE.

I finished one pass with the shim and I figured that for my own good I better remove it. Mistake, this head is almost unusable unshimmed, the blade is all over the place. Back in goes the shim and I finish the shave with a few minor weepers.

So, the verdict: It is worth it for sh*ts and giggles, just to see how good your technique is or how good the local ER is. I might use it again

Razor: Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 Knurled Handle
Blade: Shark Platinum (2)
Brush: Razorock Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm
Pre-shave: Hot shower
Lather: StIrling Soap Co Naked & Smooth
Aftershave: Cold water rinse

No irritation: 5
No nicks or cuts: 5
Closeness: 5
Smoothness: 5

Rating: 10/10

Third blade second shave.

The combo produced a BBS shave result without incident. All my shaving goals were met on the second shave.

So far, this appears to be the best of the Sharks for this combo and my skin conditions.

More info on the tests can be found at the link below:

Quest for a better shave

YMMV

I am curious what blades people use in different razors

1909 Single Ring / Gillette 7-O clock (green)
I just bought my first vintage razor last week I believe it is a 1948 Superspeed but I’m not %100 sure. It’s definitely notched but for $20 I got it and a random case with a pack of Super Blue blades. Clean it up and put a Wizamet Super Iridium in it and was completely floored by how well a TTO could shave?! I always thought you sacrificed precision and comfort for convenience. It was a DFS so I bought a 1959 Fatboy, 2 Slim adjustable’s and I’m waiting on a unnotched Aristocrat set. Still unsure on how to date the vintage Gillette razors but I got a BBS with the Slim adjustable (I3 so 1963) with the same Wizamet blade from the SS!

Top Bottom