What razor/blade did you use today

Edwin Jagger 89 / Gillette 7o'clock SharpEdge
20220105_133249.jpg
20220105_133249.jpg

Iridian

Cool and slimy
DSCosmetic S9 & Alpha Shaving Revolver G4 / Gillette Nacet
DSCosmeticS9.jpg

This is a Game Changer .84 clone with a slightly different plate and feature, but only cosmetically different at the sides: The tab sides have indents that allow lifting the blade from below easily. The gap is supposedly .86. Not too visible is the scalloped cap, a really nice feature. My only other razor with a scalloped cap is my Timeless. The handle is a 90mm "Scepter" handle with 12mm diameter. Like all DSCosmetic handles its polished shiny, but it got polished slippery in the process, even the knurls are superficial and smoothened, failing to provide the desired grip. In fact unscrewing the handle today to check which blade I had loaded, ugh, my hands found no purchase, not even with a towel. I almost went down into the cellar to use a vice.
Unlike RazoRock, DSCosmetic is reportedly pretty generous with refunds and replacements. I personally had no need of that so far, everything arrived. Shipping might take a while though.

Shaving characteristics of the S9: I found the S9 to even slightly beat my GC 84 SB, maybe it's due to the nice cap, maybe a slight difference in geometry, maybe due to the slightly higher polish. I recommend a Nacet, Feather or BIC to make it a bit more efficient. For some that might be already enough. At its core it is a slightly different looking Game Changer, it gives a smooth, easy and very nice shave.

Because I forgot that I took the photo with Old Spice, I just used Don Draper - but it is a very nice aftershave, too. :)

I just had my first shave with the the first gen. British Aristocrat and I can tell right away that this razor feels very different compared to the 2nd, 3rd and 4th gens. While the later generations shave some similarities in terms of efficiency and smoothness, the first gen. (mine at least) is a different beast and it has a bit more of a blade feel as well as higher efficiency and it also feels a bit rough, but not too much to become unbearable and uncomfortable.

I've used a fresh Nacet and the razor took a week of a growth like it was nothing and while I managed to do my typical 3 and a half pass shave without any cuts, nicks, weepers, irritation etc, I was constantly reminded by the razor during the shave that if I make the wrong move the razor will bite me.

I was honestly very surprised and my initial impression was that while these razors are not terrible shavers, they are not that great and most people buy them just to have them in their collection. I can already tell by the very first shave that I like this one much better than any other British or US made Aristocrat that i've used. And while it's not in the same league as some of my modern razors, it's still not bad at all and I would definitely use it more in the future.

271886331_3165336717078269_1969454403612943894_n.jpg

WR2 SS SB 1.25mm w/ Timeless Ti Crown 👑 Handle, Timor

Brush: Mozingo ZT3 26mm
Blade: Timor (4) , 14 shaves with 3 different blades and every single one was BBS with no effort
Bowl: Captain’s Large Copper Bowl
Soap: Ethos Vanilla Safi
Razor: WR2 SS SB 1.25mm, w/ Timeless Ti Crown 👑 Handle
Post Shave: Ethos Unscented Skin Food
FEB1F0CF-6CFE-4888-BA06-04F18180AD7D.jpeg

Doug, 65 in Tucson, Arizona

Top Bottom