What's new

What razor/blade did you use today

Styletto Goodfellas Razor
Feather
Styletto Goodfellas.JPG

Razor: Rex Supply Co Envoy (7)
Blade: Gillette Perma-Sharp (Russian) (2)
Brush: Razorock Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm
Pre-shave: Hot shower
Lather: StIrling Soap Co Barbershop
Aftershave: Cold water rinse; Alum;

No irritation: 5
No nicks or cuts: 5
Closeness: 5
Smoothness: 5

Rating: 10/10

The combo produced an excellent shave. No irritation, no nicks, very close and very smooth. A BBS result. A very pleasant shave.

Alum sting: moderate

Test Summary 20211119

YMMV

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Blackland Blackbird. I shaved with the OC plate, used Gillette Sensitive Shaving Gel and Aqua Velva.

BlackBirdOC.jpg

I rolled the dice with which razor to shave today. I rolled the Blackbird and then I rolled the OC plate. Which meant I had to switch heads. And that's why the razor is disassembled on the photo. Oh well! 😊

Why shaving gel instead of soap this time? Because I almost fear and feel the blade of the BB OC a damn lot. I therefore prepared for even more cushioning than I could achieve with my usual Cella soap. Also, the OC comb of the Blackbird wants the user to ride the cap much more than the SB version. And that is against my "natural" habit, I am rather used to shave steep.

As I said, I have a much easier time using the safety bar plate of the Blackbird. But let's see if I learned riding the cap better with some other razors in the meantime.

That was the plan:
RIDE THE CAP with the Blackbird OC! Because the blade feel increases quite a lot when you go steep.
-> … and how did my theory work out in practice?

Can confirm, theory and practice are in unison.
The shave result was very good, but for difficult corners of the face, mostly the chin and below the ear, doing corrections while riding the cap was difficult for me. The ATG pass was basically superfluous, the shave quality is around R41 level, but with a much smoother shave, provided you ride the cap. Which wasn't always that easy for me. Particularly not even possible under the nose! 😊

Verdict?

I love the very close shave the OC can give, but it goes against my grain, literally. I love to shave steep! The SB is much easier in this regard for me.
Therefore, I would love a DC, dual comb, plate option. I would not mind paying a premium for it. It would be an almost perfect combo, IMO, as SB and OC plate of the Blackbird complement each other so nicely, better than the quite similar sides of the Lupo DC for sure.

Top Bottom