Lather: StIrling Soap Co Naked & Smooth
Aftershave: Cold water rinse

No irritation: 5
No nicks or cuts: 5
Closeness: 5
Smoothness: 5

Rating: 10/10

Second blade first shave.

The combo produced a BBS shave result without incident. All my shaving goals were met on the first shave.

More info on the tests can be found at the link below:

Quest for a better shave

YMMV

I got myself a couple R41 clones from aliexpress, and I was itching to try them today. They looked half decent, so I tried to replicate my last setup with the real R41. Bic chrome, a bottom shim, soap and all the rest the same. Blade alignment was fiddly, the razor had the tendency to kick it to one side. After a little fiddling it got in the ballpark.

Now I am not shying away from efficient razors, in fact I much prefer the R41 with a shim, I find it very good like this. I have wiry whiskers that require efficiency to avoid irritation.

So, how was the chinese R41?

BRUTAL!

No exaggeration, I was genuinely scared. Even more than the first time I went from disposables to DE.

I finished one pass with the shim and I figured that for my own good I better remove it. Mistake, this head is almost unusable unshimmed, the blade is all over the place. Back in goes the shim and I finish the shave with a few minor weepers.

So, the verdict: It is worth it for sh*ts and giggles, just to see how good your technique is or how good the local ER is. I might use it again
Any pictures to share of those R41 clones?

FaTip Piccolo Gentile and a fresh Astra SS. First shave with an Astra SS and an excellent first shave, sharp and smooth and no irritation or alum feedback.

Pic and a bit more of a right up in my journal

Top Bottom