What's new

What razor blade did you use today? How many days?

I usually toss blades after one use, but I read here how people get 9 plus shaves from a single blade. This time I experimented and used a new Wizamet Super Iridium blade to shave last Thursday, today I shaved with the same blade and half way through the blade was basically smoked, dull as a door nail .... I know the blade was real I bought it from a prominent shaving store not Ebay. I just can't figure out how people are getting ten plus shaves out of a blade without it getting dull, I will try a different blade next shave

How many shaves you get from a blade is pretty unique to you. It will depend on your technique, your beard prep before shaving, and your beard hair. I have always been able to get a large number of shaves from a razor, be it the injector I started with or the multi-blade cartridges I recently quit using. Sparse but wiry. My brother with a much denser and also thick haired beard gets more shaves than I do, I think, from DE blades.

I suspect perception of sharpness (rather than actual blade sharpness) also plays a role here. I got the closest shave I've ever had yesterday with a Derby blade on shave #6, but it like to killed me to get there, it pulled terribly. A cartridge doing that would not give m a decent shave, but the Derby, after all that agony, delivered a BBS shave that was still smooth 24 hours later. It really wasn't all that much worse than the first shave with it, but I just couldn't handle the pulling.

Read the Excalibur thread in the Clubs and Brotherhood sub-section in the Shave of the Day section, it's enlightening.

I barely remember my Grandpa, when he was about 90, complaining that he wasn't sure those new fangled stainless steel blades were as good as the carbon steel ones. He kept them in a fruit juice glass with three in one oil, and stropped them on the inside of the glass before he used them. He probably got three months out of a blade....

Peter

Top Bottom