What's new

What razor blade did you use today? How many days?

Astra SP (1).

Apologies for digressing, but I had to address this:

Ok, I know I'm a noob...but 83?! Am i missing something here?

No, you’re not missing anything. Shavers with experience and good prep and technique can achieve these numbers, although there was a post recently not recommending such high usage counts on hygiene aspects (risk of folliculitis or other infections for example). I guess these brothers-in-blades don’t have very coarse beards and/or sensitive skin. Me, I have sensitive skin and thick, copper-wire-tough beard, like if it scratches you, you bleed. I need a mild razor and a sharp blade. I found out the hard way that most blades last only 2 three-pass shaves for me, some not even one (Derby Extra), Feather max. 3-4. Anything else and I pay with razor burn and nicks from putting pressure on dull blades, because otherwise they just don’t cut (it). Everything is subjective with shaving, YMMV! You do you, try out new things, but don’t feel obliged to like something just because it is currently hyped. Try out new blades, bin them when they tug, you feel yourself wanting to apply pressure (don’t!) or the shave become rough and you nick yourself. Also bin them if they start rusting (I have so hard water, they start to rust if I leave them a day in the razor).
Good luck and good shaves!

Edited for typos.

Last edited:
shave # 1
IMG_0828.JPG

Astra SP (1).

Apologies for digressing, but I had to address this:

No, you’re not missing anything. Shavers with experience and good prep and technique can achieve these numbers, although there was a post recently not recommending such high usage counts on hygiene aspects (risk of folliculitis or other infections for example). I guess these brothers-in-blades don’t have very coarse beards and/or sensitive skin. Me, I have sensitive skin and thick, copper-wire-tough beard, like if it scratches you, you bleed. I need a mild razor and a sharp blade. I found out the hard way that most blades last only 2 three-pass shaves for me, some not even one (Derby Extra), Feather max. 3-4. Anything else and I pay with razor burn and nicks from putting pressure on dull blades, because otherwise they just don’t cut (it). Everything is subjective with shaving, YMMV! You do you, try out new things, but don’t feel obliged to like something just because it is currently hyped. Try out new blades, bin them when they tug, you feel yourself wanting to apply pressure (don’t!) or the shave become rough and you nick yourself. Also bin them if they start rusting (I have so hard water, they start to rust if I leave them a day in the razor).
Good luck and good shaves!

Edited for typos.
Great advice, thank you. I've only got a dozen shaves or so under my belt. Feathers on shave 3 were great, but 4 is the limit for me. My chin is tough but alot of my growth elsewhere is uneven and I can only shave every other day at best. I think with good technique I'll get average usage. I'm very curious to see how each blade lasts for me. This is so much more fun than carts, I feel like a kid in a candy store with all the variety of everything and experimentation.

Top Bottom