What's new

What razor blade did you use today? How many days?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Gillette Platinum (39). Gonna get a whole lot of shaves out of this one, I'm still on the first edge....

How do you identify which edge you are using? Is it a "one-way" razor?

I use both edges during any given shave, typically two long strokes with each edge on either side of the face. As such, I'll be chucking the blade when only edge gets beyond the condition I'm comfortable using it.

I've marked one where I couldn't tell one side from the other (70's SuperSpeed), but Gillette adjustables are easy, there is only one side with the mark for the setting. Most of the rest of my razors are worn asymetrically enough that I can tell which side I'm using. I also leave that side up when putting them on the shelf, or facing out on the stand.

I shave the whole pass these days without rinsing, so it's easy to keep that one side engaged, so to speak. Thin wet lather doesn't build up on the razor very much.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've marked one where I couldn't tell one side from the other (70's SuperSpeed), but Gillette adjustables are easy, there is only one side with the mark for the setting. Most of the rest of my razors are worn asymetrically enough that I can tell which side I'm using. I also leave that side up when putting them on the shelf, or facing out on the stand.

I shave the whole pass these days without rinsing, so it's easy to keep that one side engaged, so to speak. Thin wet lather doesn't build up on the razor very much.

Thanks for that. I don't think I'll start marking mine, but I might make a conscious effort to use both sides more evenly through a shave.

Top Bottom