What's new

What razor/blade combo do you find is the best for someone with fine, wiry hair, and sensitive skin?

Right now, I'm using the newish King C. Gillette safety razor with Feather blades, and that seems to do the trick. I tend to get at least a slight bit of razor burn regardless of what razor/blade combo I use, even with light pressure, given how sensitive my skin is, but the King C. with the Feather blades seems to be the most efficient right now. It gives me the least amount of razor burn, and it doesn't cut the hair so close that it gives me many razor bumps. For all you folks out there who have similar skin/facial hair to mine, what razor/blade combos do you use?

A couple of blades that I find to be very sharp and will cut thru my wiry stubble with ease are --- well the Feather of course as you already found - but also the Gillette Platinum is very close to the same sharpness (for me at least) while lasting longer for more shaves and is a little more comfortable than the feather. And the Nacet is also right there with the feather for sharpness while lasting longer and feeling more comfortable.

It seems not that many people here rate the Gillette Platinums very sharp - I don't know if I just got a really great batch of 100 or if they have improved in recent years or something - but for me and my tough-to-cut, wiry beard - those plain old Gillette Platinum blades (dark Blue print on white background with the word "Platinum" in silver) work as well as feathers and last for twice as many shaves.

I’m still in the early stages of my journey, but Nacet blades have given me the most improvement of anything thus far regarding my tough stubble and sensitive skin. I’m using the EJ 89, which is basically the same head as the KCG.

Also, I thought I was using no pressure until I read a statement here about trying to only remove the soap or cream from your face instead of trying to cut stubble. And I thought I made good lather until I watched some videos.

Gillette Nacet, ASTRA SP, or Gillette Platinum and a Karve Overlander or Henson AL 13 Mild. Good Shaves. I have sensitive skin and also shave my head. I typically shave daily or every other day. There are a lot of good razors as well, but those are two of my favorites. These are two very forgiving razors. The Overlanderis deceptively efficient.

Right now, I'm using the newish King C. Gillette safety razor with Feather blades, and that seems to do the trick. I tend to get at least a slight bit of razor burn regardless of what razor/blade combo I use, even with light pressure, given how sensitive my skin is, but the King C. with the Feather blades seems to be the most efficient right now. It gives me the least amount of razor burn, and it doesn't cut the hair so close that it gives me many razor bumps. For all you folks out there who have similar skin/facial hair to mine, what razor/blade combos do you use?
I use a Gillette New Deluxe with a Kai blade but I have 3 or 4 razors that work very well with a Kai Blade

+1 for Gillette Platinum. Regarding the razor, I find butterfly TTOs difficult to deal with. The blade is not curved and it doesn't give me a good shave on ATG. I have not tried the brand new Gillette TTO though but I would suggest a mild razor such as Stando Zoria or Merkur slant for instance.

Welcome to B&B!

Congrats on finding an effective combo for your needs. Although, I definitely understand the desire to minimize the burn as much as possible.

I also respect your ability to shave well with the KCG. I tried one for the first time just tonight and had to stop after the first pass. The handle is the main problem for me. It just doesn't have the balance or level of grip I'm looking for.

Which brings me to my suggestion. The combo I finished my shave with tonight was the RazoRock Game Changer .68 loaded with the aforementioned Nacet on it's third use. It was exactly what I needed this evening and is my recommendation to you.

My skin can also sometimes be a bit prone to burn but I've never had an issue with the GC or the Nacet and they play very nicely together IMO.

Good luck!

If your skin is that sensitive you might try to splash on diluted apple cider vinegar like three parts water to one part ACV before you lather. It is a mild acid that will remove dead skin cells, remove oil from your beard so water soaks in easier and actually will soften your beard because it’s acidic. Many expensive skin products use malic acid from apples so its not something I am making up. You will see over a few weeks how much better your skin looks.

Welcome to Badger and Blade!

I’m a fan of Gillette Nacet razor blades for sharp and smooth.
Thank you! I've been thinking about joining for a while, but I wasn't sure if I was into wet shaving enough/knew enough about it to be on here. Well, I'm here now, haha.

Where could I get some Nacet blades to try for cheap? I'm definitely on a budget - I've got a cheap but good synthetic brush I bought online, I have the white Proraso cream because it's available at my local drug store, and I do still use Gillette Foamy Sensitive fairly often out of convenience and the low price (plus, it's also the slickest canned goo that I've tried).

Thank you! I've been thinking about joining for a while, but I wasn't sure if I was into wet shaving enough/knew enough about it to be on here. Well, I'm here now, haha.

Where could I get some Nacet blades to try for cheap? I'm definitely on a budget - I've got a cheap but good synthetic brush I bought online, I have the white Proraso cream because it's available at my local drug store, and I do still use Gillette Foamy Sensitive fairly often out of convenience and the low price (plus, it's also the slickest canned goo that I've tried).
Last time I looked you could get them on italianbarber site $10 for 100 blades.

The blade is different, it is individual and you need to choose for yourself, and the razor for sensitive skin is the perfect vintage, as they are made for everyday shaving. Personal opinion.
I do have what I believe is a 1958 Fat Boy, and it does shave pretty well, but I think it definitely needs a touch-up. Blades sit very slightly crooked, and it's tarnished. Usually do get little to no irritation with it, just like with the King C. Gillette.

I do have what I believe is a 1958 Fat Boy, and it does shave pretty well, but I think it definitely needs a touch-up. Blades sit very slightly crooked, and it's tarnished. Usually do get little to no irritation with it, just like with the King C. Gillette.
I love razors that were released 50 years before yours. For example, my Pocket Editions of 1909...

I love razors that were released 50 years before yours. For example, my Pocket Editions of 1909...
The oldest safety razor I have is a brass Gillette that I believe is from the 1920s. I don't use it very much because I find it to be fairly aggressive. I definitely prefer a closed-comb razor. For a long time, my favorite razor was the Merkur 34C, but I started finding that the King C. Gillette was even kinder on my skin.

Top Bottom