What's new

What Qualifies As A Safety Razor

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Just curious, what makes a safety razor a safety razor?

Which razors give the appearance of being a safety razor but somehow don’t meet the criteria and all posts concerning those razors get moved to one continuous thread that doesn’t show up in the “WHAT’S NEW” feed?

Asking for myself, because I had a new thread moved.

Everything between the cutting edge and your face is a safety razor - the safety bar or comb.
If you remove the bar from a DE it becomes a Devette. Everything without a bar/comb like a SR/Shavette/Kamisori is not a Safety Razor. Gem Razors have a bar/comb and are therefore Safety Razors. Injectors are mostly Safety Razors with the exception of Shavettes that use those blades.

What kind of animal did you find that makes categorizing difficult?

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Everything between the cutting edge and your face is a safety razor - the safety bar or comb.
If you remove the bar from a DE it becomes a Devette. Everything without a bar/comb like a SR/Shavette/Kamisori is not a Safety Razor. Gem Razors have a bar/comb and are therefore Safety Razors. Injectors are mostly Safety Razors with the exception of Shavettes that use those blades.

Apparently the Henson is a mildly verboten topic. I’m not sure why.

I pretty much agree with this. If it takes a single blade of some sort and has a safety guard, whether solid or open comb, then it's a safety razor.

Here’s a homemade DEvette I got in a razor lot. At some time someone ground the comb off of it. There’s nothing safe about it, although I have shaved twice with it. It’s basically a vertical Shavette.
C40954A5-31C8-437E-943E-F1BAA67F3E5E.jpeg

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I pretty much agree with this. If it takes a single blade of some sort and has a safety guard, whether solid or open comb, then it's a safety razor.
So why are Henson threads moved into the Henson Club thread? I find this very annoying.

So why are Henson threads moved into the Henson Club thread? I find this very annoying.
It depends on the tone and content of the thread. If it's less about general info and more like a Henson fan club thread, then it will get moved. Ask one of the mods.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Likely for the same reason (whatever that may be) Stirling threads are moved to the Stirling Syndicate, etc.
I find the practice quite annoying, as well.

I might have to take a break from B&B again if this type of censorship is going to be happening. I thought I shared a unique perspective and suddenly it was moved.

When several threads are merged into one, the result is a hodge-podge of disjointed thoughts and posts. This makes it impossible to follow one line of thought.
Also, Clubs and Brotherhoods posts do not show up in the New Posts listing, so many readers never see them. :taz:

I might have to take a break from B&B again if this type of censorship is going to be happening. I thought I shared a unique perspective and suddenly it was moved.
When several threads are merged into one, the result is a hodge-podge of disjointed thoughts and posts. This makes it impossible to follow one line of thought.
Also, Clubs and Brotherhoods posts do not show up in the New Posts listing, so many readers never see them. :taz:
It's not censorship. They aren't taking the posts down, they're just grouping a bunch of similar posts in one area to try and keep things tidy. I agree, though, it doesn't usually work as well as intended, and it wouldn't bother me as much if the Clubs & Brotherhoods posts showed up in the New Posts.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
It's not censorship. They aren't taking the posts down, they're just grouping a bunch of similar posts in one area to try and keep things tidy. I agree, though, it doesn't usually work as well as intended, and it wouldn't bother me as much if the Clubs & Brotherhoods posts showed up in the New Posts.
Thanks for getting me up to speed. I suppose this must have something to do with B&B management and Henson. Perhaps Henson hasn’t agreed to pay a fee to be freely discussed by those who buy their products.

As far as censoring is concerned, it might not seem like it is a form of censorship because they don’t actually delete the post, but forms of suppression are also types of censorship.

I wish they would just make it clear what the rules of engagement are. Even if they just said all current production razors are to be limited to club threads that don’t show up in the newsfeed unless the vendor agrees to be a sponsor, then we would know why.

I‘m pretty sure that FaTip is no sponsor yet there are many threads about their products in the general section as in the Clubs&Brotherhoods.

So I don’t believe in a sinister masterplan for world dominion played out here on the board.

Personally I had a couple of threads moved to Shopping & Deals and after giving it a thought it made sense to do so.

Mods are humans (mostly) and humans make errors. If you feel very strong about it send them a message and ask. The reason might be obvious or not or even faulty but certainly not a personal thing.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I‘m pretty sure that FaTip is no sponsor yet there are many threads about their products in the general section as in the Clubs&Brotherhoods.

So I don’t believe in a sinister masterplan for world dominion played out here on the board.

Personally I had a couple of threads moved to Shopping & Deals and after giving it a thought it made sense to do so.

Mods are humans (mostly) and humans make errors. If you feel very strong about it send them a message and ask. The reason might be obvious or not or even faulty but certainly not a personal thing.
I feel fairly confident that it’s nothing personal against me. It’s either a directive from on high that the mod team carries out or it is some sort of automated system.

I just realized how ironic it is that my first razor was a Henson and I didn't get any information from B&B to make that decision. Yet, pretty much everything other than PAA has involved hours of reading on this website. When I decided to contribute, it was based on how much this website helped. But, I can't help but feel a little bit bitter that many cartridge converts aren't going to hear from those with experience that a Henson is a great first step.

...Just curious, what makes a safety razor a safety razor?...
The presence of the guard, as described in early patents. The guard, either teeth or bar, is placed in front of the blade projection, thus preventing the blade to... You get the point. I could elaborate from here but a disclaimer would be required for today's sensitive minds.
Example of such disclamer:
"WARNING: This story contains distressing details."

+1! Yep! If it has a safety bar or comb, then it is a safety razor. :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

Top Bottom