What's new

What precautions are you taking and how's your shaving going?

Ok, so with times as they currently are we've made some changes as to how we get through life on a daily basis. Here are some things that we're doing differently to stay safe.

We have to mail some shaving related items from time to time. When mailing items I'll print the shipping labels off via Paypal (or you can use some other program) and I'll drop them off at the post office after hours when nobody is there. The lobby is open 24x7 and there is a drop off box. Because of the number of people that go through there each day, I'll bring some disposable gloves that I'll put on in the car and take off before getting back into the car. By doing it this way I'm avoiding standing in line and being around other people.

Grocery stores are the worst and probably a place that you might be more likely to be exposed. Here we have plenty of people that aren't taking this all that seriously and they're using grocery stores as a place to hang out and socialize, visiting them daily. They recommend that you send one person from your family and to buy enough items to make it worth the trip and the risk involved. There is a better solution though. The wife has been buying groceries via the vendor's "click list" type applications, even before all of this started. It's so much easier and it's a time saver as well. She can order groceries from Walmart or Fry's online via their online app and have it paid for before leaving the house. She pulls up at a designated time, the guy loading them asks if she'd like him to sign for her, they load them into the back of our SUV and she drives away. You can specify if you allow any substitutions and they'll tell you what was switched out when you get there and ask if it is ok. This service used to cost like $4.95 but it's free now because of all that's going on. Fry's will even deliver them to your doorstep for $9.95 and 5% or your order price as gratuity. Either way, she'll wipe down the groceries with a Lysol wipe before putting them away. The people who are working at the grocery stores seem to really appreciate everyone using the click list options as we're not putting them in danger when doing so.

Being a shut in is kinda boring if you're doing it right. Amazon is getting a lot of my money as I've been buying items to fix things around the house. The projects I haven't gotten to in a while are being addressed in out spare time. I have to run some wiring and that'll probably be next. Cleaning the garage is another item on the to do list.

We're both working from home so to get some fresh air, the wife and I will take an early morning walk. We keep a more than sufficient distance between ourselves and anyone else, but other that that we're not really going anywhere. We're honoring the quarantine effort.

Shaving wise I've been less diligent with it. I've been working from home so some days I'll just take a shower and skip shaving or not shave until later in the evening.

Please, no doom and gloom stuff, no politics and nothing negative.... but if you're doing something specific that could help others to know about maybe share that in this thread. Feel free to share how this is impacting your shaving as well. Are you using this time to dial it in and try some new products or are you taking a more lazy approach when it comes to shaving.

Be safe everyone. Take care of yourself and your family.

Here, I'm alone until my wife returns from visiting our new granddaughter, so it's relatively easy. We have plenty of food, so I haven't had to go to the grocery store in well over a week. When I need to, I'll go during senior hour, avoid people, wear latex gloves (I have a large box full that I use when cleaning my guns), and I'll get in and out with no delay using a checklist.

It will get a little more complicated when the lady of the house returns. Her employer has already told her that she should self-quarantine for two weeks when she gets back, so I'll need to go out for whatever she needs. More difficult will be the emotional support. She gets stir crazy faster than I do, so I imagine we'll be going for the occasional walk every day. Fortunately, we live on the edge of town, and a few of blocks south we get into open space. It won't be hard to avoid other people.

On the whole, aside from the sadness for those who are suffering (whether from illness, economic problems, or anything else), I am doing well. It's not terribly hard for me to work from home, and I'm using my free time to catch up on my reading, and a few delayed chores around the house. I have a couple of years (or more) worth of unread books lying around the house, so I'm not likely to run out anytime soon. I'm far worse with books (BAD?) than with RAD.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Good thread!

The only thing I can think of that I've done differently is this: try to not obsess over this virus, which is difficult with my former profession.

Ah, another thing: on Sunday we watched our church service via streaming, then I went for a nice walk on the road with my beautiful War Department. Did it again on Monday. A little further on Monday. Dr's orders. And it did feel good. Crestor is killing me, lol. Lots of body aches, and it's strange. My doc started me on it in January, every other day, and I hurt worse on the days I take it.

We all REALLY need to take this seriously. Especially for the next two weeks.

And this too shall pass.

I am trying to make as few of trips as I can to the store. No more than once a week. It would be less if I didn’t have little ones who need fresh fruit.

Masks are impossible to find and I don’t encourage anyone to buy them for the risk of depriving health care workers.

But in my opinion, gloves (food service type) are an absolute must. A tip for those who may be looking for some but haven’t had success in the usual places (Amazon)... Look at barbecue supply type websites. I’m doing a ton of smoking/grilling this time of year and have stumbled across gloves at various bbq type retailers. One that comes to mind that sells 100 for $9.99 is Rec Tec. There are others, of course.

Stay safe and stay inside as best you can, my friends!

All this because nobody likes Corona beer!?
I kid.
I'm not doing much different; I've always kept well-stocked and to myself. I find myself checking on others more frequently.

Good thread!

The only thing I can think of that I've done differently is this: try to not obsess over this virus, which is difficult with my former profession.

Ah, another thing: on Sunday we watched our church service via streaming, then I went for a nice walk on the road with my beautiful War Department. Did it again on Monday. A little further on Monday. Dr's orders. And it did feel good. Crestor is killing me, lol. Lots of body aches, and it's strange. My doc started me on it in January, every other day, and I hurt worse on the days I take it.

And this too shall pass.

FarmerTan,
I took Crestor, Zocor and another one I can’t recall. They all caused muscle pain and Zocor put me in the bed with not only the muscle pain, but headache and nausea as well. These symptoms showed up 9 weeks after my bypass surgery.

the doctor put me on Praulent, which did a better job and none of the aches. The only side effect are mild cold like symptoms for a day after taking the dose. It’s an injectable that you take every two weeks.

the insurance company made me switch from Praulent to Repatha after taking the Praulent for three years. Repatha is a once a month injection and costs much less. You can get a copay card from the manufacturer that makes your copay $5, that is unless you are Medicare in which case the copay is all yours.

I no longer have the muscle pain that the Statins caused. it might be worth looking into.

so sorry for hijacking the thread.

Sticking close to home. Minimizing trips but still having to do "stuff".
Explorer needs tires. Have to get it there. Then a 40 mile one-way trip to the market, after that quickly into Target for some "stuff", one other quick stop to pick up (hopefully) some 7.62x39 ammunition. Then glued to the compound for another 7-10 days.
Could be worse...much worse.

We live in rural Kansas, the nearest Walmart is an hour away, we have smaller stores in town in case we run out of something essential but is very rare since we are used to being stocked for months at a time so our routine hasn't changed much with the exception of the kids being home all day and doing school at home, but we have a big yard so when they are getting cranky and the weather is nice we kick them out! :lol:

Workwise nothing is changed either since I am "essential" but no worries there since my job doesn't involve social interaction.

As far as shaving goes nothing is changed either, in fact I am shaving more since the need of having a perfect fit on the face masks we use at work (dust) is important.

We are definitely realizing, living simple is a BIG advantage!

I read this and started to keep passing on but decided I would share. I just came back to the community after a few years away. Which in turn meant that I bought more stuff. All of that has happened since this panic started.

I am the only one leaving my house but I have to go to work everyday so it’s easy to stop at the store on the way home. Outside of that I haven’t changed to much about my interactions with others.

My wife does make me shower and change when I get home. Still shaving everyday. I haven’t used any of the products mostly because I haven’t received them.

I had to use some of the alcohol from work to clean a razor, because I can’t find it in stores. Not because I didn’t trust the other member I bought it from on here but to put my wife at easy. I haven’t used it yet because it is a style I haven’t used. I didn’t want to deal with the learning curve on a “school day”.

Stay safe out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thankfully my wife and I both left our positions working in a major university medica center and cancer hospital in the last year. The downside is we both work in proximity to the health system. She is working remotely 100% of the time, and has adapted quite well. I have to go to the office on Campus Monday’s and fridays for the present time. We have reduced the office staff down to 5 people with a max of 3 of us on site at one time.

My staff is all in the field so they are actually pretty well off getting fresh air and performing their work on a ghost town of a campus that is short 25,000 people for the next two semesters. I am unforgiving when it comes to improper use of PPE and physical contact at this point. While most of us are not in the at risk segment of the population, I have grown to be easily agitated by those who are not taking the state of things seriously. After having to cope with the reality things and having to let go 12 of my employees in one day, anything folks do that can stand to prolong these circumstances has become infuriating. I preach proper use of PPE, distancing and hygiene. I disinfect my space daily and each time someone enters my office. When I return home, I wash my hands first thing. I am aware of touching my face and avoid it.

My wife and I are not visiting any friends or family. We are going to the store each week to buy fresh food, and trying to pickup meals from restaurants twice a week to support local businesses. Otherwise we are staying in. I think we check I’m on our parents 2 times per week and our friends 2-3 times just to mix it up. We take the dogs on walks appropriate to their endurance, my 9 year old pit bull baby just doesn’t have it in her to go more than two miles, whereas the husky mix can run 6 miles and keep going.

We pass the time getting a jump on yard work, preparing meals, organizing something in the house, and we are having Mexican train (dominos) tournaments in the evenings. Surprisingly we watch less television now than we did before.

As for my shaving... I am enjoying taking the time to have a nice and enjoyable shave everyday, provided I don’t push my skin to its limits. I am taking the time to regain focus on technique to improve the results. Fortunately when I started DE shaving. I took to it pretty easily without any blood bath. However in a rush rush rush mentality, I have become sloppy and need to correct. I have a new brush that came during the first week of the new norm so I am happily working to break in my new boar brush, and I am also happy to see that it loads up pretty aggressively. I’m hoping to burn through or at least put a significant dent in some of my software, and this new boar is doing just that.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Just a reminder Gents,

Providing Medical Advice is what gets these threads closed down.

Please remember this.

Acupuncture practice closed down
So zero income and so far not in a group who gets some from the gov.

OTOH
We live in a small village so walking on the street (max 2) or in the Forrest is ok.
Doing lots of chores around the house and since this lasts until end of April probably in the house and practice also.
Some time to study
Some time for admin
Some time to do zip zilch nothing
Yesterday evening we went to the supermarket (you can see the number of buyers on google) and it was almost deserted normally stocked and yes even if I do not need it there was a full pallet of toilet paper!

On the downside we do see groceries getting more expensive!

Oh and shave wel I am making a dent in my corona frankensoap....

Take care guys be carefull

We haven't left the "compound" since mid march. I drove into town to replenish perishable food stuffs yesterday. I went during a "seniors only" first hour of supermarket opening. Very few people in the store so it was easy to maintain physical distancing. I was in and out in 10 min. Hand sanitizer stations all over the store. Cashiers behind plexiglass, ( bag your own groceries). Shelves were fully stocked; (except for toilet paper and Lysol!). Federal govt has stated "If you're age 70 or over, stay home and self isolate". Sound advice regardless of where you live on the planet. Swmbo, (a retired elementary school French teacher) does a Skype French lesson with our granddaughter every morning. She's 1600km away, but they would still be using Skype if she lived next door.
Incidently, I never realized how often I touch my face. That 40 min drive home reminded me. The first thing I did after I walked in the house was wash my hands, then rub my face. It was glorious. It felt like every square centimeter of my face was itchy (which of course, it really wasn't), just because I knew I couldn't touch it. Swmbo thought it was hilarious.

I'm 52 and live with my 77 year old mother. I've been laid off, but with my savings I should be okay for a while. Frankly, I'm relieved to be staying home. There are a lots of cases. Shaving-wise, not much has changed. I try to restrict my face touching to applying an alcohol-based based splash.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Good thread!

And this too shall pass.

I was on Crestor for a month and it was terrible - I thought I had some kind of killer flu but it turned out I had just about every side effect on the Crestor warning sheet. Doc took me off Crestor, waited for the effects to subside, and then put me on a low dose regimen of another statin with good results - PM me for the name of it if you want to persue with your Dr. I have none of the aches, muscle fatigue, night sweats, nor (and this was the worst) disturbing violent nightmares that I experienced with Crestor.

As for COVID-19, I'm being more careful than I ordinarily am inclined to be because my wife has an impaired immune system. Frequent hand washing and limited contact with others, working from home most days now and strict social distancing when I do go out. I've always used a glove when pumping gasoline (a work glove to keep the gas pump grime off of me) so that's not really a new precaution. I'm not freaking out over whether or not the mail gets wiped down or Amazon deliveries get left on the screen porch for two days before opening them.

Last edited:
We live near the ‘original’ US epicenter. So no argument with ’social distancing.’ Amazon and grocery trips every 7-10 days. Fortunately, there have been enough projects around here. That’s about it!

B&B community is a great distraction from the news!! :clap: :clap:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
My wife and I are in our early 70’s and are great friends so there is little difference socially. We’re having no trouble with the social distancing. We have plenty of food so what shopping is necessary is done by me alone. She works from home and I entertain myself by walking the dog and surgically precision honing. Fortunately, we live in an area where there is little incidence of “the plague” for the time being. We will be happy when all this is over.

As a pediatric infectious diseases physician, I am being hounded pretty much constantly with questions, etc. I was the gatekeeper for limited testing kits for the past 8 days and am happy to have passed that duty on to one of my colleagues.

Shaving-wise, nothing has changed. I'm sticking with my "2020-spend no money" efforts and it is going well. Getting quality shaves 4 times a week.

Please refrain from discussing medications as that could come across as medical advice. Not saying you can't discuss this but please keep it very generic. For example "My Doctor had me on a medication that had some side effects". Please nothing that someone could try to duplicate in lieu of seeking out professional medical advice. We don't need anyone here drinking fish tank cleaner.

Top Bottom