What's new

What other vintage DE razor brands are out there besides Gillette, Schick & Star?

So in my newly started vintage journey, I've been learning a lot and collecting razors that I've found interesting. All Gillette & Schick!
Who else made vintage DE razors that aren't as common?
So far I've just found Star as another USA made DE razor company!
I'm trying to narrow down to 1920's through 1980's DE's on researching what's out there.
I've looked around and don't see much. Everything is Gillette & Schick.
Is there a list that exists?
Or if you know of others, please add them here. And of course your experiences with them (and pictures) are most welcome!

LRod

I have an English Souplex OC from the early 30's. They also made the 'Big Ben' brand. They were based in Morecombe in Lancashire. A superb shaver. IMG_20220607_213306194.jpg

I also have a 'Laurel' OC which were part of a stable of makers from Sheffield in the Interwar period here. There was also Eclipse and several others.

My early 30's Laurel is a lovely 'Homage' to the Gillette Old, being made at a time when the Gillette patents had expired. Again, a lovely efficient shaver
IMG_20220602_213026847.jpg

There were masses of other makers in the UK, W.J Myatt of Birmingham being another example.

There are so many European razor manufacturers out there also, Many German and French examples, and interesting rarities from smaller countries as well.

Last edited:
So in my newly started vintage journey, I've been learning a lot and collecting razors that I've found interesting. All Gillette & Schick!
Who else made vintage DE razors that aren't as common?
So far I've just found Star as another USA made DE razor company!
I'm trying to narrow down to 1920's through 1980's DE's on researching what's out there.
I've looked around and don't see much. Everything is Gillette & Schick.
Is there a list that exists?
Or if you know of others, please add them here. And of course your experiences with them (and pictures) are most welcome!

LRod
Just for fun/posterity, how many razors would you guess you will have by this time next year?

Pic heavy
That's great!
I never saw that thread. I think the 80+ pages should cover my question!

I thought I’d go a bit more vintage today on my Razor and brush.
The Merkur Progress was first manufactured in 1955 so I’d guess that counts as vintage. The plastic adjustment button at the bottom was introduced in 1958 (original was Bakelite) so I guess that still counts as vintage. I like the balance and feel of the long handled version.

The beauty of the Merkur Progress is how intuitively easy it is to find the correct angle for the blade during the shave. It seems to find itself by magic and I can sit back and watch it happen. In my mind, I get this picture of the razor laughing and dancing away as it effortlessly glides through my beard. It almost comes alive in my hand. Great audible feedback too which probably brought this picture to my mind. There’s a very satisfying feel to the way the razor and blade chop and slice my hairs away. I’ve had this razor over 20 years. Need to check the blade alignment just to be sure as it sometimes need twiddling. Other than that it still looks like new. A great razor.

9B9FAEF7-A82A-46FC-83E1-D69DCF462141.jpeg

Top Bottom