What's new

What other niche hobbies are you all into?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Listening to music, playing creating music/noise.

Growing unusual tomatoes.

Like making stuff , whatever new interest comes along i have to make stuff, have sewn up a few kites, my best was a Tri-D box, made guitar pedals, tube guitar and stereo amps, a guitar. Like working with wood, electronics.

Always reading, hunting through cookbooks and cooking magazines, like cooking for others, searching through grocery stores and farmers markets for new ingredients to mess with.

Take lots of pictures, dad had a darkroom when i was a kid living there, now mess with ipod photography.

Always lots on the go, hardly any time for chores like snow shovelling, lawn cutting, laundry, dishes, shaving and the like.
Various junk...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

View attachment 973896
View attachment 973899
View attachment 973898
dave
I would love to see more of that classical guitar. I am thinking of picking up a Cordoba C7 later this year, and starting lessons.

American Civil War reenactor, mostly infantry but served as cavalry and artillery as circumstances warranted.
I'm to the immediate left of the gentleman in the white shirt.
Dances.jpg

I would love to see more of that classical guitar. I am thinking of picking up a Cordoba C7 later this year, and starting lessons.

Had a full size plan of a Romanillos owned by Bream and i think that guitar was based on a Hauser. Mine was East Indian rosewood body, bridge and head plate, Engelmann spruce top, mahogany neck, ebony fingerboard. French polished it, never done that before, taken a beating from my body heat and sweat, well had never done anything like this before or since. Built a Fox side bender... haven't had the guitar out in a few years, noise is my long time realm of choice. Make sure you absolutely love the repertoire if you're going to pursue conquering the classical, after many years of lessons and practicing i got bored with that aspect.

Have an album full of construction photos from those pre digital days i built it in.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

dave

Interesting to me how many of us like similar things.

For me it’s:

Rigid motorcycles; usually racked out Yammy XS650s but occasionally an older Harley.

Porsches; I’m a 964 fan from way back.

Books; I’m a voracious reader, everything from any type of history to Richard Kadrey and Sandman Slim to cop fiction to Heinlein and Zelazny.

Dabble with photography.

Dabble more seriously with writing.

Music; I’m a guitarist that once in a while plays bass. Mostly downtuned sludge/doom metal but some faster thrash stuff too.

I also write orchestral stuff using Kontakt for some commercials and indie video games.

Most recently I took up DE shaving, cause you know. It’s cheaper than dope.

Sort of...
I thought the jingles stuff had gone the way of the dinosaurs unless played on a synthesizer! Retired musician here!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Yes, that is Kevin Costner. I was a back ground extra in "Dances With Wolves."
I worked on "Glory" also.
Wow, very cool. Did he appear like a decent guy, or a jerk?
Had a full size plan of a Romanillos owned by Bream and i think that guitar was based on a Hauser. Mine was East Indian rosewood body, bridge and head plate, Engelmann spruce top, mahogany neck, ebony fingerboard. French polished it, never done that before, taken a beating from my body heat and sweat, well had never done anything like this before or since. Built a Fox side bender... haven't had the guitar out in a few years, noise is my long time realm of choice. Make sure you absolutely love the repertoire if you're going to pursue conquering the classical, after many years of lessons and practicing i got bored with that aspect.

Have an album full of construction photos from those pre digital days i built it in.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

dave

Wow, that's great, Dave. Yes, I love classical guitar- I find it vey relaxing. I won't stay in one area, though. I figure, though, that if you can get decent at classical, you should be able to become decent in other genres. Not really looking to entertain anyone except myself (when it comes to music, I am selfish :) )

Last edited:
He was quite decent but very busy as he directed the film as well. He had a good sense of humor as well.

Nice pedals! The tomatoes look delicious as well. Any favorite uses for them?

Thanks Ryan!

Tomatoes - half of what we grow are Amish Paste tomatoes which we narrowed down to after trialing many as the best tasting, consistently productive variety in our garden and most of those get turned into a simple sauce and canned or just canned as chunks for our years supply.

All the oddball shapes and colours will go into tomato salads, garden salads, Nicoise salad, eating out of hand, fresh uncooked sauce for pasta.

Big slicers go to B/L/T's, burger season runs for as only as long as there're garden slicers available, abundance of cherries often don't make it into the house, an over run of any tomato will get dehydrated and used up in soups, stews and pizzas over the off season.

No favourite way just all ways for as long as the garden will give them up, season is far too short.
dave

Raising my son so that a good boy will become a good man when the time comes.
Hiking in forests or mountains preferable with my fishing rod in my backpack and my son by my side. The forest is God's cathedral.
All wild living creatures great and small.
History, all history even straight razor history.
Interior design and art.

A picture from today's walk, spring has finally arrived:

20190421_160420.jpg

As my username indicates I am an archer. I shoot medieval style with the SCA and the British Longbow Society. I do shoot in competitions but its really just for fun. I'm also trying to learn jazz guitar and I have always liked to take pictures.

OC asked the very two questions I was about to ask. Ha.

I love that classical guitar Davent. The soft strings and mellow sounds are why I too prefer them.

One quirky hobby I have is adding gasoline 2-stroke engines to beach cruiser style bicycles.

Top Bottom