What's new

What order?..alum and witch hazel

Not sure why you would need both - alum is a fairly potent short-term astringent that I believe most folks rinse off (I don't use it). Witch hazel solution is a weak astringent and a weaker antiseptic, which you generally apply and let dry. They both - sort of - do the same thing. Nothing wrong with using both, but seems redundant, although if you wanted to use them in order it would be logical to apply the alum first, rinse and apply WH, although I suppose it really doesn't matter and depends on what you prefer. Also nothing wrong with doing it both ways and sticking with what you prefer - there isn't anything magical about shaving and you can't mess it up (the wonderful thing about humans is that everything eventually heals as long as you keep breathing) 😊.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Not sure why you would need both - alum is a fairly potent short-term astringent that I believe most folks rinse off (I don't use it). Witch hazel solution is a weak astringent and a weaker antiseptic, which you generally apply and let dry. They both - sort of - do the same thing. Nothing wrong with using both, but seems redundant, although if you wanted to use them in order it would be logical to apply the alum first, rinse and apply WH, although I suppose it really doesn't matter and depends on what you prefer. Also nothing wrong with doing it both ways and sticking with what you prefer - there isn't anything magical about shaving and you can't mess it up (the wonderful thing about humans is that everything eventually heals as long as you keep breathing) 😊.
I just use alum. I sort of found WH to be redundant and another step in the process I didn’t need. I always use aftershave.

I really only use the alum block when there are weepers to stop bleeding (why don't drug stores carry styptic pencils any more?) I add tea tree oil, aloe, and glycerine to generic brand witch hazel for my usual post-shave treatment.

I use alum whenever I audition a new razor/blade combo, and whenever my shave feels a bit rough. I always follow up with WH and Nivea PSB, almost never a splash.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I used to: Shave, alum- leave on while I clean my brush etc. then wash off, witch hazel or AS after drying my face.
I rarely use alum anymore.

Unless I've had a really aggressive shave, with some weepers, I don't bother with the Alum. You really should rinse it off, otherwise it may dry your skin. I prefer Witch Hazel, which I add a couple of drops of essential oils for scent, and to assist is dissolving menthol crystals. - I've come to really enjoy the mentholated witch hazel, following the final rinse, particularly in warm weather. (In hot weather, I follow up with an AS that contains menthol, like Margaritas in the Arctic, Proraso Green, etc).

thanks everyone. I mainly only use witch hazel. i have a bottle of thayers medicated witch hazel that ive added peppermint and eucalyptus and tea tree oil to. With menthol crystals. And also use another bottle that is mentholated lemon.

Top Bottom