What's new

What oils can you use?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Mineral oil tends to bead on shiny steel. I prefer regular motor oil. It's free. Only takes a drop or two, and there is that much remaining in the jug after I pour it in the engine. Ballistol is popular. Any gun or reel oil will work. Sewing machine oil, baby oil, camelia oil, all have been used and recommended but I use motor oil. It is specially formulated to leave a film on steel.

For long term storage, petroleum jelly.

Vegetable based oils will eventually oxidize and make a gummy deposit. Possibly camelia oil is an exception, I don't know.

TBH I don't oil my razors as much as I should. IOW I practically never do. Once in a long while it causes me regret but usually living in an air conditioned house precludes rusting unless you store them in the bathroom, which is a terrible environment for a razor.

I use mineral oil with a little petroleum jelly melted into it, makes it a bit thicker and more "clingy".

Haven't run experiments or anything, just gonna throw this out there - a lot of katana users have switched from the traditional choji stuff to common gun lubricants, just because the formulation is specifically designed to leave a film on the metal for long periods of time. I've got guns I rubbed down with some common gun oil like CLP, tossed under my bed, and haven't touched in 5 years, they're still oily

maybe ill go motor oil as thats so readily available everywhere and you can get heaps for not much and maybe after i use that up ill go try gun oil

Mineral oil tends to bead on shiny steel. I prefer regular motor oil. It's free. Only takes a drop or two, and there is that much remaining in the jug after I pour it in the engine. Ballistol is popular. Any gun or reel oil will work. Sewing machine oil, baby oil, camelia oil, all have been used and recommended but I use motor oil. It is specially formulated to leave a film on steel.

For long term storage, petroleum jelly.

Vegetable based oils will eventually oxidize and make a gummy deposit. Possibly camelia oil is an exception, I don't know.

TBH I don't oil my razors as much as I should. IOW I practically never do. Once in a long while it causes me regret but usually living in an air conditioned house precludes rusting unless you store them in the bathroom, which is a terrible environment for a razor.
what weight of oil 5w-30, 10w-40, ????
synthetic or petroleum???

camo

Gun oil will deteriorate some scales, cotton ball and very* thin coat of Vaseline petroleum jelly is what the old codgers used. I read that here on BnB in a 2011 post about 2 weeks ago when doing research.

None. If they are dry and humidity is controlled/low there is no need for any oil IME. If you need to use oil, I recommend sewing machine mineral oil.
I never oiled any blades, and I never had any issues.
Well I did try to use oil once, and it ended up being a mess, and it gunked up too.. So no way I'm ever using oil again. I don't think it's needed for the reasons you already stated.

I use Camellia oil when I have to use any.
In all seriousness, I second camellia. If it’s good enough for high end Japanese chefs knive, it’s probably good enough for our razors. Plus you’re using a natural product you don’t have to worry about getting on your skin.

Gun oil will deteriorate some scales, cotton ball and very* thin coat of Vaseline petroleum jelly is what the old codgers used. I read that here on BnB in a 2011 post about 2 weeks ago when doing research.

Got a source for that? Considering I've never heard of anyone having problems with the stuff on the plastic bits of their glock or wood handles of a 1911, I wonder what kind of scales would deteriorate with a thin film of gun oil on them but wouldn't deteriorate from motor or camellia oil?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
what weight of oil 5w-30, 10w-40, ????
synthetic or petroleum???

camo
Whatever you use in your car or truck. The leavings in the jug from a top-off or an oil change are enough to last a long time. Why buy more when you only need a drop at a time? Synthetic might be marginally better, and heavier weight would probably leave a better film for longer. But honestly that is splitting hairs. Just use what you already buy for your vee hickle.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
In all seriousness, I second camellia. If it’s good enough for high end Japanese chefs knive, it’s probably good enough for our razors. Plus you’re using a natural product you don’t have to worry about getting on your skin.
Getting it on your skin? I take it you never work on your car.

Got a source for that? Considering I've never heard of anyone having problems with the stuff on the plastic bits of their glock or wood handles of a 1911, I wonder what kind of scales would deteriorate with a thin film of gun oil on them but wouldn't deteriorate from motor or camellia oil?
Besides reading it here on BnB if i recall this restoration guy claims the same on using gun oil
But i guess a guy should use his own judgement to make that call

Getting it on your skin? I take it you never work on your car.

Which one?

3C2611B4-CF5D-4C67-A513-A6B0D5A49E05.jpeg

Out of convenience I do work on a few of the older motorized things I have around the property. Such as trucks, tractors, pumps, generators, mowers, carts, but I wear gloves.

Cars, however, nope, use’m and abuse’m. I trade the grocery getters in when the warranty’s over, but I do check the oil, and I wear gloves.

Watched the video but didn't hear anything about oil types or scales. Personally I don't oil my blades since the AC keeps my place pretty dry anyway; even bugs die of dehydration and I find their corpses in corners when I clean

Not to derail this thread, but I found it interesting he prefers a 7/8 near wedge. Going by old B&B threads, it seems most people gravitate to full hollows over time, though some stick with 5/8 while others got for 8/8+. Always funny where people's SR adventures take them

Last edited:
Reactions: CCR
Watched the video but didn't hear anything about oil types or scales. Personally I don't oil my blades since the AC keeps my place pretty dry anyway; even bugs die of dehydration and I find their corpses in corners when I clean

Not to derail this thread, but I found it interesting he prefers a 7/8 near wedge. Going by old B&B threads, it seems most people gravitate to full hollows over time, though some stick with 5/8 while others got for 8/8+. Always funny where people's SR adventures take them
Yeah i 'am a newbie myself to the SR only going on about 40+ days here. I spend way to many hrs on BnB and youtube doing research lol. There is so much good information to absorb on here but i'am enjoying every minute .
I made the mistake early on of jumping on Ebay and buying about 7 razors that were all 9/16 but they all said shave ready think i could get buy with just a strop and lapping film.
Then i stumbled on a 5/8 Morley and down another rabbit hole i went after how nice that blade felt. Kept 2 of the 9/16 , Boker extra hallow because the acoustics was just to awesome and a Torrey barber notch and handed the rest off to two of my son's. Haha now the Wade & Butcher and Frame back bug has a hold of me and my youngest son just let me know he wants a Kamisori for his Bday next month. I went all Norton whetstone 1,4,8K with ILR 15K and he went all Shapton with a 12k superstone so we could trade back and froth. Right now the Jnat's are all kind of confusing with all the Naguru slurry stones and LV3 vs LV4.5 ect spinning in my head.

Top Bottom