What's new

What Non-Firearm Item is in Your Vehicle for Self Defense?

Not that at my age I'd be quick enough to remember or react in time to use them, but I always have a Spyderco Delica 4 clipped to my pants pocket. In my car, a Honey Badger serrated Claw folding knife in my center console, and an 8" plastic stabber (with a 3" triangular pointed end) in my door panel. In my trunk, a Morakniv 4" fixed blade sheath knife and a folding utility knife. In my wife's glove box is a CRKT M16-13ZLEK folding knife with a seat belt cutter and window breaking tip. She also has a plastic stabber in her door panel. For our rare walks, I take a Morakniv Eldris neck knife.

Maybe I need one of those holster rigs that mount in your car? Anyone have one of those?
I bought one and used it for a very short while. As I got out of the car while retrieving the gun and tucking it away on my person I always worried that someone was going notice and freak out. If you drive something big enough that you could reposition without drawing attention it would be great. In my Miata not so much.

Not much. Criminals, experienced violent criminals are predators. Citizens are nothing to them, not even a thought. Violence isn't what people see in the movies, it isn't like anything they imagine. Fast, brutal, unstopping, unexpected, and without mercy. The majority of people will have no chance, none at all.

Awareness and avoidance. These are the core tools of survival. Anything else in the confines of a vehicle will fail the OODA loop and result in death. Yours.

No plan survives first contact.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Not much. Criminals, experienced violent criminals are predators. Citizens are nothing to them, not even a thought. Violence isn't what people see in the movies, it isn't like anything they imagine. Fast, brutal, unstopping, unexpected, and without mercy. The majority of people will have no chance, none at all.

Awareness and avoidance. These are the core tools of survival. Anything else in the confines of a vehicle will fail the OODA loop and result in death. Yours.

No plan survives first contact.
I haven’t heard the OODA loop mentioned in a long time. If you don’t see the threat coming, your toast.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
Ya' know, I really had to ask because the wife isn't always with me while I'm driving..........

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
People with evil intent aren’t the only reason I like to sit facing the front door.
View attachment 1533031
We have been eating out a lot more often since now in Michigan you don't have to wear a face mask every single place ya go.

We are often with other couples, and I am quite certain I am the only one of our quartet that is packing. Over the years my wife has taken to grabbing the seat with her back to the door, giving me a clear line of sight to front door.

Now that we are going out with couples more often, and I've been stuck with my back towards the door, she has taken to either explaining to the folks that I'm "weird" and like to sit facing the door, or she rushes ahead so that she sits in the place that then allows me to have my choice of the seating real estate.

What impresses me most is that we haven't even had to discuss this much. Lol, now that we are getting older we need to discuss these things less.

Yes, I am blessed. Probably as much as @OkieStubble or @martym !

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I bought one and used it for a very short while. As I got out of the car while retrieving the gun and tucking it away on my person I always worried that someone was going notice and freak out. If you drive something big enough that you could reposition without drawing attention it would be great. In my Miata not so much.
Exactly my problem. A Toyota Yaris ain't exactly the same as my GMC Sierra! But honestly, I ain't fighting over a vehicle. They might need it werser than I do.

But I hope they leave the keys in it after they finish using it!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
We're getting to the time of year when I worry less about having to walk 40km home because some free-market reformer is driving my car. In the winters there's always a nice selection of gently used, gassed up, running (with the heat on) unlocked cars on display in any shopping centre parking lot. Some of them even have a fresh cup of coffee and some Tim Horton's doughnuts as an added inducement to potential customers.

O.H.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Situational awareness above all--largely of the most likely avenues of escape. (I guess that's "condition orange") Avoid dodgy areas when possible. Windows up and car doors always locked.

Oh, yes, and an "electric sap" (4 "D" cell Maglite) at the ready--as well as the willingness to brutally use it.

Ball peen hammer with fiberglass handle and grip tape. I used to have a 2 foot piece of rebar with grip tape, but got the legal advice that a hand tool is not a weapon (legally).

I have a tactical pen in the center console, but that's for personal EDC, not for roadway use.

Top Bottom