What's new

What next?

So, like many or all of us on these forums, I am diving into the straight razor game. I've posted a few times about my small accumulation of razors and other cool things I've acquired, most of which have been fairly inexpensive and pedestrian. My wife has pointed out that I am a grown man, I work hard, and should buy myself some nice stuff once in awhile. So a new straight razor is on the list.

A little background: I currently own 3 serviceable straights. 2 AOS Thiers that I bought 2nd hand, both identical and now both have been honed by Doc226. I also have the SFI Wapienica with stainless scales from Griffiths that was recommended by a few folks on here as a good starter. Doc also honed the Wapienica and really improved its performance. I can't say enough good things about Doc226. He has done great work for me. The he has made these razors excellent.

I have been trying to become a SlashMcCoy disciple by making my own balsa strops and using "the method". Also just ordered another acrylic slab and a handful of Gold Dollars so that I can try to hone with lapping film so that I don't have to bother Doc to hone my razors anymore. I bought a strop from The Heirloom Razor Strop Company but haven't used it yet.

The question is: What razor next? I have been looking at Wackers, Revisors(although I just checked my email and they sent me a response stating they won't ship to the US anymore), Le Grelot, Koraat, Ralf Aust, Rasoir Sabre, and Rex . I really want a larger blade. Is there a razor that jumps out at you as a must buy? What would you buy if you have $400 or so to spend? Not that I have to spend that much. Noticed the the Koraats aren't horribly expensive. Any opinions accepted. Thanks everyone.

So, like many or all of us on these forums, I am diving into the straight razor game. I've posted a few times about my small accumulation of razors and other cool things I've acquired, most of which have been fairly inexpensive and pedestrian. My wife has pointed out that I am a grown man, I work hard, and should buy myself some nice stuff once in awhile. So a new straight razor is on the list.

A little background: I currently own 3 serviceable straights. 2 AOS Thiers that I bought 2nd hand, both identical and now both have been honed by Doc226. I also have the SFI Wapienica with stainless scales from Griffiths that was recommended by a few folks on here as a good starter. Doc also honed the Wapienica and really improved its performance. I can't say enough good things about Doc226. He has done great work for me. The he has made these razors excellent.

I have been trying to become a SlashMcCoy disciple by making my own balsa strops and using "the method". Also just ordered another acrylic slab and a handful of Gold Dollars so that I can try to hone with lapping film so that I don't have to bother Doc to hone my razors anymore. I bought a strop from The Heirloom Razor Strop Company but haven't used it yet.

The question is: What razor next? I have been looking at Wackers, Revisors(although I just checked my email and they sent me a response stating they won't ship to the US anymore), Le Grelot, Koraat, Ralf Aust, Rasoir Sabre, and Rex . I really want a larger blade. Is there a razor that jumps out at you as a must buy? What would you buy if you have $400 or so to spend? Not that I have to spend that much. Noticed the the Koraats aren't horribly expensive. Any opinions accepted. Thanks everyone.
Only you know what you like.
Find a design you like within you budget. The grind, ergonomics and size is important to me. If a nice looking razor does not thick my boxes in these categories , it does not matter if it looks good.
Buy something that will get used as a tool.
I don't like the design of TI razors. However, they thick all the functional categories for me. That is why my next razor will be a TI.

Ulrik at Koraat makes gorgeous razors, but there is a wait list. It is worth it, though, because you can design exactly the razor that you want; you don't have to compromise at all.

Proserpine razors (Steve Colling in Queensland, AU) is another option,and with the current exchange rate, you'll have plenty of change left. There are a couple of threads about his razors that are quite active.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
If you know what you like/want, consider a custom made SR to your own specifications. I would consider Ulrik Koraat (Austria), Ralf Aust (Germany) and Steve Colling (Australia). I have used Ralf Aust and Steve Colling. Both produced excellent razors exactly meeting my requirements.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I don't really know what I like as I've only used the 3 razors I personally own.
What you need to try then is a few different SR types so you can form an option on your likes and dislikes in SR styles. Things to consider are point type (Dutch, American, Spanish, French, etc.) grind (wedge, ¼ hollow, ½ hollow, full hollow, etc.), blade width (4/8, 5/8, 6/8, etc.). That can be done by you first trying a few different cheaper SRs. Then you will have a better idea of what you are looking for.

As what @JPO said, only you know what you will like.

I agree with above. I bought a few semi-customs early on and have come to enjoy different grinds, weights etc so they don’t get much use. Griffith looks like it has some beautifully restored razors, maybe try something different to what you have. I’m particular to the full hollow Japanese razors myself.
A particular razor and a foolproof example for me, if I had to recommend, would be koraat 14. Simple scales that won’t fall out of favor as your tastes change and a blade that is very well loved by many, from blanks that have stood the test of time too
good luck in choosing, it can be addictive

If you know what you like/want, consider a custom made SR to your own specifications. I would consider Ulrik Koraat (Austria), Ralf Aust (Germany) and Steve Colling (Australia). I have used Ralf Aust and Steve Colling. Both produced excellent razors exactly meeting my requirements.
This would be my recommendation as well. Great razors!

I would avoid ordering a custom razor until you have tried different size blades and grinds, and focus on new stock models and vintage for now.

For vintage, I would keep an eye on GSG, and just buy a razor that you are attracted to. I really like 13/16 to 7/8 inch razors, and they are less expensive than 8/8 inch razors. A few ideas:

Filarmonica 13
Sheffield 7/8 near wedge
13/16 Japanese
Dorko
Puma

My concern with vintage is I am a bad judge of condition. I have a Le Grelot that is unusable that I purchased. Don’t want to do that again.
I believe the suggestion needs to be clearly about vintage razors from a good source. Griffith has some great vintage razors - beautifully restored and reliably a good quality. You pay for this quality, but still good value I am not familiar with other sources but picked on Griffith as mentioned above. I am sure there are trusted eBay vendors too - perhaps our US colleagues could help.

I believe the suggestion needs to be clearly about vintage razors from a good source. Griffith has some great vintage razors - beautifully restored and reliably a good quality. You pay for this quality, but still good value I am not familiar with other sources but picked on Griffith as mentioned above. I am sure there are trusted eBay vendors too - perhaps our US colleagues could help.
Also if there is any issue Griffith will take care of it. I wasn't happy with a razor, he sent a label and took it back. Great customer service.

Top Bottom