What's new

What next?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Either one would be a fine addition.Or both. Keep in mind that the Sistrum is extremely thin and flexible, and requires almost no pressure honing it. I have a Dreifuss that’s the same razor but uses Kayser Ellison steel instead of the Sistrum’s Bôhler steel.

DC6AFF76-1AED-4950-BC6C-855D936D1199.jpeg

I have a Sistrum that I bought recently, I like it a lot. Doubt you could go wrong with either though.

Mine is pretty thin but still has a bit of a belly--my sense is that it's not as flexible as the one in @Steve56 's photo. At any rate I have other razors that are fussier to hone due to the edge flexibility. The factory edge wasn't bad, took very little work to get it where I wanted it.

As somone who's been using straights for a few years now, I'd say keep some of that money for a finishing stone. I did the diamond-paste on balsa thing for a while and while I liked it and appreciated it, eventually I preferred the feel of a natural stone finish and got tired of wondering if the paste I put on the balsa was still there in sufficient quantity. Not a major deal, of course. But if you've got the money to spend, a finishing stone is a kind of toe-in-the-water of honing. You don't have to jump in with a cannonball, and it keeps you from having to send out your razors for full honing too often.

I would second looking at finishing stones regardless of where you want it from Japan/UK/US/other. Being able to service your own razor is huge, and it offers you the ability to try out different methods and finishes to really customize the razor performance to your liking.

If you already have a razor honed and you buy a decent finishing stone you are set. A good stone you don't even NEED to stop with a proper understanding of how it works but it never hurts to do so just to be sure.

Lapping film should be here this week and acrylic block arrived a couple weeks ago. I feel like honing with stones is some sort of an arcane art that one should have a direct mentor for. I'm slowly getting through some of the threads on this site but they ar copious and convoluted. I guess I'll have to plug in "Good beginner finishing stone" into the old B&B search bar and see what happens.

I feel like honing with stones is some sort of an arcane art that one should have a direct mentor for.

Trust me. I'm an idiot. If I can do it, pretty much anyone can. What I've been doing is keeping the diamond balsa around for most razors and then using my coticule to experiment. I used it to bring one razor I was restoring from bezel setting to almost-but-not-quite-yet finishing. That way I could practice without worrying that I'm going to gum up my entire razor works. I'm at the stage now where I'm not even using the balsa anymore. And like I said, I'm the last guy you'd expect to be able to hone.

Lapping film should be here this week and acrylic block arrived a couple weeks ago. I feel like honing with stones is some sort of an arcane art that one should have a direct mentor for. I'm slowly getting through some of the threads on this site but they ar copious and convoluted. I guess I'll have to plug in "Good beginner finishing stone" into the old B&B search bar and see what happens.
"Lapping film should be here this week"

Well, If you can hone on film you can hone on a stone. It's not arcane or convoluted.
twocents.jpg

I feel like honing with stones is some sort of an arcane art that one should have a direct mentor for.

Nope. I have only been doing it for several months, and I get pretty good results (comfortable and sharp edges). The only trick is to be extraordinarily patient and attentive. Go slow, and check your work regularly and thoroughly. It is not difficult (assuming the razor has no issues), it is just demanding of your attention. It is also very satisfying to shave off your own edges, and the act of honing itself is weirdly therapeutic, much like meditation - you really are just focussed on one thing and one thing alone. Over, and over, and over again.

Jump in: the water is fine! :badger:

As somone who's been using straights for a few years now, I'd say keep some of that money for a finishing stone. I did the diamond-paste on balsa thing for a while and while I liked it and appreciated it, eventually I preferred the feel of a natural stone finish and got tired of wondering if the paste I put on the balsa was still there in sufficient quantity. Not a major deal, of course. But if you've got the money to spend, a finishing stone is a kind of toe-in-the-water of honing. You don't have to jump in with a cannonball, and it keeps you from having to send out your razors for full honing too often.

Trust me. I'm an idiot. If I can do it, pretty much anyone can. What I've been doing is keeping the diamond balsa around for most razors and then using my coticule to experiment. I used it to bring one razor I was restoring from bezel setting to almost-but-not-quite-yet finishing. That way I could practice without worrying that I'm going to gum up my entire razor works. I'm at the stage now where I'm not even using the balsa anymore. And like I said, I'm the last guy you'd expect to be able to hone.

Ditto.

I think the issue will probably the "be extraordinarily patient and attentive". I'm concerned I won't have the detail orientation for this but I guess we'll find out.

Or check out Bluesmanblades.com. He is a member here who posts very often. He is another hand-forged razor maker like the Snailforge.be. Both men are good people and make top-quality razors.

Since you're intimidated somewhat by vintage (this is not meant to be derogatory, I've bought a few trash vintage razors myself so I can relate) I will second the advice that trying several razors of different grinds, widths, and points is good advice. I guess it would still be considered vintage, but the BST here is a safe bet for well loved but decent razors at a fair market price.

I will also second a finishing stone. Maybe even a mid-grit stone to do slightly more than just touch ups. Useable Arks can be found for reasonable prices.

Some may be offended, but I simply can't take an experienced straight razor shaver serious, unless he has at least tried a Filarmonica 14.

When I started out I thought they were overpriced and probably not worth the hype. That's until I bought my first one.

I could have saved myself a lot of money, trying out different sizes and grinds, until I found something that seems to be perfection. In all the hundreds of threads I have read, I can honestly say that one guy that I can take at his word, didn't love a Fili 14.

Honest user-grade Filis can still be found for prices of less than a new basic razors. Looks don't shave, Fili 14's do. By honest, I mean that I would rather buy a razor that shows it's age than a clearly restored, shiny razor. Restored razors may have been on electric buffing machines with the risk being that it's very easy to overheat a razor and spoil the heat-treatment.

Just can't bring myself to pay the ridiculous prices for real new-old stock.

Top Bottom