What's new

What Next after Simpsons Dule 3 Best

Hey Guys,

Have been spending a lot of time reading about brushes. Recently got a Simpsons Duke 3 Best from leesrazors. Just Love the Brush, Right size, and not to floppy. Have the Itch to really try one of those White Tips Super Badger. What do you reckon would be a nice step up . I would like it to be on the Firm Side, densly packed and about the same size, maybe a tad bit bigger. Maybe a Chubby?.. Thanks

ameetmedi said:
Hey Guys,

Have been spending a lot of time reading about brushes. Recently got a Simpsons Duke 3 Best from leesrazors. Just Love the Brush, Right size, and not to floppy. Have the Itch to really try one of those White Tips Super Badger. What do you reckon would be a nice step up . I would like it to be on the Firm Side, densly packed and about the same size, maybe a tad bit bigger. Maybe a Chubby?.. Thanks
If you bought the Duke for the handle shape and size, carefully evaluate before you buy. As it would seem that you have already determined that a Simpsons is for you, look at the Tulip and Polo also. Both are available in Simpsons superbadger and have significantly different proportions (hilt to loft) and shapes than the stubby Chubby. There is also the Persian Jar line that you may wish to also evaluate.

I have the Duke 2, Polo 8, and PJ2 and all are very nice brushes. The Polo and PJ have very different handles than the Duke and since you already have a short handled Simpsons, you may want to consider something other than a Chubby. If you like the shorter handle, the Chubby's probably the one for you! The Polo's hair loft is very similar to the Duke and doesn't seem quite as dense to me. Could be perception however! The PJ2 has a higher loft and I love the handle! My Duke and Polo are best and the PJ is super and has obviously whiter tips than the best. All are very soft to the touch. I'm considering a PJ3 in super and that may be just what the Dr ordered. DrP that is!!!

Here is a comparison shot with Duke 2 on left, PJ2 in center, and Polo 8 on right.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Any Other brands that you guys would suggest. I do like the Simpsons, but i cant compare that to any, as that is the only one i got. I am open to get others. I have heard a lot of you talk +ve about QED Saville Row..

ameetmedi said:
Any Other brands that you guys would suggest. I do like the Simpsons, but i cant compare that to any, as that is the only one i got. I am open to get others. I have heard a lot of you talk +ve about QED Saville Row..

Savile row brushes are simply outstanding.... not just because of their great value, supreme quality, and efficacy, but also for their superb proportions and ergonomics. Few things dissapoint greater than a "silly" looking brush, which is often the case with brushes of odd proportion. Overall they are a superb brush - and at the asking price - it is pretty tough to go wrong, as they offer such outstanding value - you cannot have any regrets.

Other brands i'd recommend looking at are Kent, Vulfix, and Shavemac - as those will also provide superb quality at a reasonable price.

Ameetmedi,

Some brushes you could consider, with regards to your specifications ( super badger, firm loft, densely packed, slightly bigger than the Duke 3) could be:

-Simpsons Chubby #1 or Polo #8
-Rooney style 3 small in finest badger; this is a step upwards from super silvertip badger
-Plisson European white no 10 or 12
-Shavemac silvertips in size L
-Savile Row silvertips with knot diameter of 22 mm (3122, 3322, 3722)

Of these, i would prefer the Simpsons, when the price tag is not an issue; but with regards to value for price i would definitely go for the Shavemacs or Savile Rows.

Of all my brushes. Shavemacs have the most densely filled and firmly knotted bristle lofts; i haven't received my bigger Savile Rows from Charles yet, buy i'm convinced they can be suited in the same category as the Shavemacs (if they aren't....) Anyway, my 3824 looks very, very nice: densely filled, very soft yet resilient bristles, so i'm eagerly awaiting my ordered 212 and 3132!!

Peter

drP said:
Ameetmedi,

Of all my brushes. Shavemacs have the most densely filled and firmly knotted bristle lofts; i haven't received my bigger Savile Rows from Charles yet, buy i'm convinced they can be suited in the same category as the Shavemacs (if they aren't....) Anyway, my 3824 looks very, very nice: densely filled, very soft yet resilient bristles, so i'm eagerly awaiting my ordered 212 and 3132!!

Peter

Peter...you went for the hernia size!! 32mm knot! That should be a two fister!:w00t: I'll be curious to hear how you like it.

Ameetmedi: I'll echo Peter's comments on the Shavemacs and Savile Row silvertips. They're both wonderful brushes and if you're looking to try something other than Simpson's, I give one of them a try.

DoubleE said:
Peter...you went for the hernia size!! 32mm knot! That should be a two fister!:w00t: I'll be curious to hear how you like it.

Ameetmedi: I'll echo Peter's comments on the Shavemacs and Savile Row silvertips. They're both wonderful brushes and if you're looking to try something other than Simpson's, I give one of them a try.

Jerry..... Peter has like 6 of the 38MM Vulfix's. The guy is a madman for the brushes! Shaving brushes are to him - like cake is to rosie o'donnel. :lol:

joel said:
Jerry..... Peter has like 6 of the 38MM Vulfix's. The guy is a madman for the brushes! Shaving brushes are to him - like cake is to rosie o'donnel. :lol:

Holy Moly, I didn't know they made a 38mm knot!! I'm working my way up to Peter's number of brushes! I think I only have about 65 left to buy!:lol:

DoubleE said:
Holy Moly, I didn't know they made a 38mm knot!! I'm working my way up to Peter's number of brushes! I think I only have about 65 left to buy!:lol:

Nah, 70 now, he just ordered 5 more and he hasn't received them yet.:biggrin:

Jerry,

Forget about it, you'll never catch up with me..........:biggrin:

BTW: i only have four Vulfix 38, not six; that's even too rich for MY blood.....:001_smile

I'm still eagerly awaiting my Savile Rows.......i've high expectations of them, given the beauty of my 3824............

And it shall never, ever end....an SBAD mind is a joy forever...:wink:

drP aka drSBAD

I know it is smaller, than th Duke 3 in Size at least. Buyt maybe it could be a nice brush to travel with as well. How is the Brush?... Super or best. Considering I have the Duke 3 best and Love it, Would this be pretty much the same?. Should I get Super or Stick with Best

A CH1 in best looks pretty much the same as a Duke 3...this counts for the bristle loft of course....

Imo there's no need to go to the super; Simpsons best is of a very high quality, although a bit prickly on the skin compared to super.
As a typical soap brush the Simpsons best (CH1 or Duke3) are among.....the best :)wink: ) if not THE best.........

Peter

Top Bottom