What's new

What model of air popper for home roasting?

Ok, so I'm trying my hand at home roasting, and so far it's been ok, but rather difficult to get the beans to roast quick enough in my electric oven. They usually end up tasting flat and the batch is a little inconsistent.
I was planning on getting a second hand popcorn air popper to do the roasting, but what brand should I get and what should I look for in a popper?

Ok, so I'm trying my hand at home roasting, and so far it's been ok, but rather difficult to get the beans to roast quick enough in my electric oven. They usually end up tasting flat and the batch is a little inconsistent.

I was planning on getting a second hand popcorn air popper to do the roasting, but what brand should I get and what should I look for in a popper?

Shalom, Howard!

I recently (two months ago) began home-roasting green coffee beans. I did my homework (reading books and threads here on B&B), and then bought a brand-new West-Bend "Poppery II" popcorn-popper. Many recommend the original model (Poppery), which is 1500 watts, vs. the 1200 watts of the Poppery II; however, I've encountered exactly zero problems roasting 2/3-Cup of green coffee beans in mine.

Thrift shops, garage sales, and eBay are your "friends", when looking for a hot-air popcorn-popper. The one rule is: make sure that the hot air enters the roasting chamber from side vents, rather than from the bottom. The side vents initiate and maintain a rotation to the beans, creating what's called a "fluid bed". OTOH, bottom-vent poppers can't move the weight of the beans, and just plain don't work for home-roasting.

Home-roasting is great fun. Check-out Sweet Maria's for more info.

Here is the B&B thread that got me started.

Another possible solution is to locate a used coffee roaster. I got tired of using a hot air popper rather quickly because it "just didn't do the job well enough". I ended up buying a Brighway "Caffe Rosto" from a friend whom had upgraded to an Alpenroast brand machine. I should be able to get enough use out of the used roaster to cover my outlay of funds. With luck, by the time it wears out I will know if I want to stick to home roasting. So far the coffee is great and I am hooked, things do change though.
Best Regards, Ken.
PS, You might also check out the "I Roast 2" from www.sweetmarias.com and other vendors. It is not too expensive and looks promising.

I've bought about 4 pounds of coffee from Sweet Maria's that I've been enjoying so far. The reason I was wanting to get an air popper is because it's supposed to be more consistent than the oven. Although the I-Roast looks very nice, there's no way I can afford it, though I plan on perhaps getting it as a long-term purchase.

Howard:

There is actually no way to get good coffee in your oven - you are baking it, not roasting it. If you want to get better java (and cant find an air popper) pan roast it in a cast iron pot pan. google it for tips.

The Poppery II is ok, but it roasts quick and hot...the Poppery I )if you can find one) can be split wired to control air and heat.... google that too. I have foudn 7 of the Poppery I's in thrift stores.

*I have a spare one I can let you have for a few buck plus postage - interested??? or we can trade a DE for a popper..

Barry

Top Bottom