What's new

What mild DE to get?

I have been using DE, straight, and shavettes for almost two years now. My first DE was a Merkur 34c. For the last six months my go to DE has been a 1956 Gilette Tech ball end (B4). I much prefer the mildness and weight of the Tech to my HD.
What modern razor shaves similar to my tech? Mild vintage options?

Last edited:
You could try a Canada 1932 Triangular slot Tech which will be a little bit more aggressive than the ball end.
I love mine when loaded with a Feather:thumbup1:

I recently picked up a Schick Krona, and while it may lack in the beauty department compared to the Gillettes (I happen to like the look) it has given me some very good shaves. I was using the Merkur 34c also, but so far I'm loving the Krona. Seems easier for me to maintain blade angle.

The black handle super speed is a nice, mild shave - or any super speed except the red tip, really. Adjustables are another option.

Vintage - I really like my Gillette Slim Adjustable set at two with a Feather blade. Great shave IMHO...

New - The Feather AS-D2 with a Feather blade delivers a superb mild shave. But, it is an investment.

I spent $2.00 on the Slim Adjustable. I found it in an antique store that specialized in used horse tack. It looked like it had be stored on the floor of a well used horse stall when I bought it. After a thorough cleaning it looked pristine. It delivers well for me.

The Feather AS-D2 is a life time buy. I held off on the purchase until I was sure I was not going to head back to the aggressive side of the street. Once purchased, I couldn't understand why I had waited so long...

Remember YMMV!!!!!

So many razors and only one face...

I have been using DE, straight, and shavettes for almost two years now. My first DE was a Merkur 34c. For the last six months my go to DE has been a 1956 Gilette Tech ball end (B4). I much prefer the mildness and weight of the Tech to my HD.
What modern razor shaves similar to my tech? Mild vintage options?

Make no mistake those old Gillette Techs are a nice razor that will withstand way more use and handling for another 100 years. Far more durable than anything being made today as far as DE razors. I say of you like your ball end Tech from the '50's then stick with it. I do think the Techs are deficient in length and thickness of the handles, but they are a nice nimble conveniently sized razor. I keep one full sized Tech for travel, because it shaves nice, is tough, and for full sized is still smaller than most modern razors for ease of packing.

You could try a Canada 1932 Triangular slot Tech which will be a little bit more aggressive than the ball end.
I love mine when loaded with a Feather:thumbup1:

+1 on that, Those Canadian early Fat tech's are great razors, very forgiving, very efficient and smooth. I love mine.

For vintage, I'd suggest a 40s Super Speed; very well made and though just a bit more aggressive than a Tech, still a very mild and comfortable shaver. One of Gillette's beat, IMO. For modern, an Edwin Jagger DE 89, or some handle variant thereof, would seem to be a good fit. A bit milder than the Merkur, and with much better fit and finish, it's an outstanding current production DE razor on the milder end of the spectrum.

Any Merkur open comb will surely be mild. They are even milder than Tech. If your goal is DFS and not BBS, they are maybe the best razors in the ultra mild end. Even though they are mild, they take easily a whole week of coarse beard growth.

They are thus very efficient until you reach DFS, from there forward they are too mild to continue.

Last edited:
I've found that the merkur classic is a modern razor that is similar in aggressiveness to the Tech. Both pretty mild, which I prefer.

No doubt, any of the Gillette Techs are going to give a very mild shave. I have a lot of them in my collection, but I find them too mild to give me a BBS. As also mentioned, the Schick Krona gives a very mild, smooth shave.

If you like your Tech, try picking up a couple of fat handled ones. I have several USA-made Techs and prefer a nickle fat handle with the triangular slots, and a gold one with the rectangular slots. Both are mild, with the triangular-slotted one feeling a bit more aggressive. It's good to have a choice and, unlike their Slim and Fat cousins, Techs can still be bought for a reasonable price.

Last edited:
I have found more vintage razors to be more on the mild side than the aggressive side. The Gillette Blue Tip, Black Tip, Slim, Flair Tip, and Tech all seem to be mild to me. The Red Tip, which I like, is a little more on the aggressive side, but not bad. The Schick Krona is also mild.
cottontop

Top Bottom