What's new

What metal is vintage Hoffritz, Pomco, Merkurs made of?

Gents, I have a sly plan to get me a non-slanted version of the well-known and gorgeous looking Hoffritz/Pomco/Merkur (34) razor. And I want to get one and have it replated by Chris Evatt, the best replater outthere.

However for this I need to find out what metal these beauties are made of, since replating is only possible on brass. And apparently these razors (or their heads only) are not brass?

Would anyone of you experts know what their base metal is?

Thanks. Appreciate your feedback.

I believe they have a silver coating but you might want to check with Captain Murphy. He just finished cleaning mine as I intended to have just the knurling sent to North Shore and have a medium gray coating on it because everything on the razor was in mint conditon but the knurling on the handle that seemed very dull but Cap suggested he work on it first before making a final decision and after he sent me a photo and seeing how it cleaned up it looked like brand new and at the recommendation of Cap I'm leaving it in it's as is. Shoot him an email. Also if I remember correctly because the head is very difficult to separate from the handle there may be a issue with a replate unless it's dipped in as a whole razor but I'm going by memory here so I may be wrong so I'd get the facts from Cap first and he can ask Chris if he'll do a replate on it.
Just my 2 cents.
Good luck with it. Great razor.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Zamak heads, brass handles. Some of the very early caps were brass but the plates are all pot metal.

My suggestion is to search for a nice example that doesn't require refinishing, it will probably be less hassle.

Thank you all, great advice. And warp speed, you guys are faster than the speed of lightning!

I will look for a very good one and ask CAP to work with polishing the handle if the silver is dull. I have a beautiful vintage 15C that could well get the same ultimate treatment. I am really in love with the handle design.

Thanks again, Adam, Dragonsbeard, Doug!

4F51B621-EAD3-4595-9E08-6190B322BF02.jpeg

Last edited:
I wonder if it's a Merkur 15C that I have on the way. Vendor listed it as "Vintage Merkur" Here's a pic:
vintage merkur.jpg

I read that the way that the name "Merkur" is rendered on the handle determines the age.

Sure looks identical to mine. You’ll enjoy it. Mine is just about the only open comb I like. Quite mild but effective shaver. And the looks...:thumbup1:

Yours may be older than mine, given what you say about the font/design of the Merkur name on the handle (see pic below). Mine is early 80s, as noted by the seller.

From the picture it looks like you’re getting a nice case too, congrats.

And actually, I am not sure about the ‘C’ in the model name. Someone suggested that the ‘C’ in 34C or 15C stands for ‘Chrome’. So I guess this would be 15S for Silver...?!

6D5E613F-E0C7-4F33-8446-C4C7D472BF9A.jpeg

That's a Merkur model 11 and yes, it's vintage.

Oh, so mine is also a model 11, not a model 15? - Seller said 15, I never checked...

Thanks Doug for further info. Is there a full vintage Merkur model overview available somewhere?

R

romsitsa

If the plating on zamak parts is flawless it can be plated over.

Adam

Top Bottom