What's new

What "manly" cocktails do you like?

I know I have been in lockdown mode for just shy of a year, but when did they change the definition of “manly”?

A friend left an open bottle of blended Scotch (Monkey Shoulder) with me when he visited about two weeks ago. Never was much of a Scotch guy, so I had to figure out what to do with the rest. Had a Rob Roy, a Rusty Nail, a Godfather, a Dickie Ward, and a Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

Surprisingly, I believe I preferred it neat.
Maybe you are a scotch guy?

Surprisingly, I believe I preferred it neat.

Me, too. I like Monkey Shoulders a lot. I suppose when I first drank Scotch I drank some Rusty Nails. But I have never had much of an interest in Scotch cocktails. I know a lot of folks who drink Scotch. I cannot think of anyone who regularly drinks Scotch cocktails. Whereas, bourbon and rye drinkers, including me, seem to switch around among straight, on the rocks, Old-Fashioneds, and more elaborate drinks. Even if I drink bourbon straight, a dash of bitters does not hurt. Maybe a tad of ginger syrup, or a zest or small slice of lemon. None of that has any appeal for me with Scotch.

Yeah, I think you have become a Scotch guy.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Had a Rob Roy, a Rusty Nail, a Godfather, a Dickie Ward, and a Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

I've never had a Dickie Ward, but the others you mentioned are some of my favorites (but I need to be in the right mood for a Godfather).

But, yeah, it's tough to beat neat.

Well, technically short drinks like old fashioneds and rusty nails are mixed drinks, not cocktails (like martinis and manhattans). Don't even mention neat whiskey (not a cocktail).

Well, technically short drinks like old fashioneds and rusty nails are mixed drinks, not cocktails (like martinis and manhattans). Don't even mention neat whiskey (not a cocktail).

Out of curiosity, what are you using as a definition for each of these terms? I've heard different things, but most of these definitions would consider an old fashioned a cocktail while some would debate on what a rusty nail would be. Using the most obviously correct source on the internet (ok it's Wikipedia so feel free to berate me) a cocktail has three or more ingredients (one of which has to be a liquor) while a mixed drink as two or more and doesn't have to be alcoholic. By this definition, it seems like a classic gin martini would not be a cocktail but a dirty martini would?

I am curious about how many different definitions there are.

Top Bottom