What's new

What makes you choose and buy the razors you buy?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
You lose. Pay up! :lol:

You get nothing...You lose...Good day Sir!

proxy.php

I shave both my head and face daily so I want a razor that’s safe and and gives excellent results. For me the razor I’ve landed on is the Henson AL13. I love the construction of the razor and feels great in my hand. In that sense it’s like I’m married to the razor 😇. Blades and soaps are where I get my variety. I typically bin my blades after one use.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I get curious about a razor I've seen advertised, research it here with The ENablers (TM), and then in the evening, after a little wine with dinner, my sales resistance drops, resulting in yet another purchase.

Did someone here convince you to put money down on your Leaf Twig?

For me it is the design of a razor the first criteria to buy it. Than comes the factor "it must be a super shaving tool".
But of course it's all purely subjective.
I love modern razors,I find the old Charcoal Goods generations purely work of arts,love the inovativ design of the Vector and how it shaves, the "perfection" of the Wolfmans, all these.
And what I have learned so far: if you like something, don't stay 100% on the opinions from the others. Just try it. You might be that tiny procent over the voice of the crowd, that likes something considered hated or not that appealing

Design, design, design. The more unique it is, the more interesting it is to me. The high water mark for DE razor design is the 1930's-50's (imo). Not to **** on modern razors, but very few modern razors are 'innovative.'

Case in point. Name one modern adjustable that is easier to load than a 60 year old Gillette adjustable? That uses a more complicated design? That uses better materials in manufacturing? (There's a couple of those).

The following razors were all made between 1930 and 1950 and have more design innovations than anything made in 2020.
Cooper MonoBilt
Davies Rythmic Razor
Berkeley Custom Shaver
Rolls Razor
Walbusch B2 adjustable slant
Shake sharp razor

I would argue that all of the above razors I listed are more innovative than anything that's come out in the last 20 years, with few exceptions.

Where I've really seen a lot of innovation recently is in shavettes. The focus R20, the Irving Barber Co. razor, and the Tedalus Essence have all advanced shavette design considerably, as did the Feather AC razors, when they were introduced 20 some years ago.

That's just my overall impressions, anyways.

One of my favorite razors is the Blackland Blackbird. I was going to say that there were no real innovations in that razor, but that really wouldn't be a fair statement. It's had a huge influence on modern razor baseplate and cap designs since 2015, even if those elements were borrowed from even older razor designs.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Design, design, design. even if those elements were borrowed from even older razor designs.

I agree! I have been in wet shaving for less then a year, and I have already noticed that razor manufactures tend to copy each other, and take elements of older design, and put it into their razors. But when you compare the quality of most of these DE razors to cart razors, you can clearly tell, that DE razors, both vintage and modern, are of a much higher quality standard. I especially love razors that are hand made, like Fatip for example. I also have appreciation for titanium, like Timeless for example.

Each razor can shave a little differently, while being more or less the same, at the same time, thats the beauty of DE razors. Its almost like opening up a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get. But with cart razors, its always going to be the same thing, low quality facial irritated shaves, a razor that clogs constantly, a razor that is made cheaply in a Chinese factory, and replacement cart blade costs that rip a hole in your wallet.

Hey, where did all my money go? I guess it fell through that hole that burned through! WOWZARS! :eek2:

Regardless of who copies who in the safety razor market, I just can tell you that I appreciate them. They have been very life changing for me, ever since I started wet shaving back in March. Once one has experienced a DE blade on ones face, one does not go back to carts lol. And I especially love the fun of different scented shave soaps and aftershaves, its so much fun, and my face thanks me too. HEHE

I started with a Merkur 34c and after about a year began purchasing vintage razors. Later I began purchasing modern razors. Fast forward to today, at home I use my Ti Blackbird almost every day. My regular travel kit razor has varied over the years but usually reverts to my number 2 razor which is a SS Blackbird. My in-town kit that I keep at a friend‘s house currently contains a Gem MMCP or MMOC, a new SC, and a travel Tech plus an additional common bar handle.

In the next few weeks (at home) I will use my E4 Fatboy on my brother’s 63rd birthday, a C4 Flare Tip Superspeed on my 65th birthday, a ball handle Old Type on what would have been my Father’s 95th birthday and an A4 Red Tip Superspeed on would have been my late wife’s 67th birthday.

I can get a good shave with most any of my razors but for my daily razor the Ti Bird reigns supreme. The vintage razors are special and particularly meaningful on special days.

I agree! I have been in wet shaving for less then a year, and I have already noticed that razor manufactures tend to copy each other, and take elements of older design, and put it into their razors. But when you compare the quality of most of these DE razors to cart razors, you can clearly tell, that DE razors, both vintage and modern, are of a much higher quality standard. I especially love razors that are hand made, like Fatip for example. I also have appreciation for titanium, like Timeless for example.

Each razor can shave a little differently, while being more or less the same, at the same time, thats the beauty of DE razors. Its almost like opening up a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get. But with cart razors, its always going to be the same thing, low quality facial irritated shaves, a razor that clogs constantly, a razor that is made cheaply in a Chinese factory, and replacement cart blade costs that rip a hole in your wallet.

Hey, where did all my money go? I guess it fell through that hole that burned through! WOWZARS! :eek2:

Regardless of who copies who in the safety razor market, I just can tell you that I appreciate them. They have been very life changing for me, ever since I started wet shaving back in March. Once one has experienced a DE blade on ones face, one does not go back to carts lol. And I especially love the fun of different scented shave soaps and aftershaves, its so much fun, and my face thanks me too. HEHE
Oh, I could easily shave with nothing but a Trac II. It's a great razor design. It's boring though, really no end user skill required. Same with Barbasol. It kinda sucks all the fun out of wet shaving.

Oh, I could easily shave with nothing but a Trac II. It's a great razor design. It's boring though, really no end user skill required. Same with Barbasol. It kinda sucks all the fun out of wet shaving.
Nailed it! We were cleaning out a closet not long ago and came across a box set of a Mach3, some spare carts, and a can of some sort of Gillette gel that turned into a massive amount of foam once out of the can. I'm sure it was an Xmas gift some years ago from a well-meaning family member. I gave it a try the next day and got a decent shave in spite of the very weird, dense gelfoam with its off putting scent. I tried the Mach3 again the next day with a regular lather made from my stash with a brush and it was even better. Then I put it all away, no fun at all.

I started with a KCG. Want something a little more effective and after researching bought a Fatip (as I had learned about Zamak here). Bought another Fatip as travel razor.

And should have stopped there. They have me fantastic shaves (still do). Curiosity drove me to a Tech and from there on - Enablers Inc ‘helped’ me to seek out vintage company for my Tech. At this point I think I only want to add a birth quarter razor. Seen a couple of times on the usual sites but for more money than I willing to spend.

Reason was the same: search for the better shave.

And I have Razor Rotation Anxiety - if I could I would use them all in one shave!

Guido

The concerns about Zamak are highly overrated IMO. I have a very well used DE89 from 11 years ago that looks like new. There are ancient Gillettes with Zamak heads that are just fine. Decent Zamak, the kind used in German and English razor heads, is not the same as the cheap pot metal in a $6 razor. That said, I'd prefer not to see it used in razors either. Brass or 316 SS is my preference.

There are ancient Gillettes with Zamak heads that are just fine.
3849C958-EE36-4575-9D3C-26CA89A8405D.jpeg

From my understanding a lot of these 1946 contact techs have Zamak parts (if I had to guess) due to a combination of brass still being in relatively short supply and a high availability of surplus parts left over after WW2. I have one (not the one pictured) and if it does it’s held up pretty well for being around 76 years old

For me it is cheaper than buying a new car/suv/truck/motorcycle. Yes, I have a few but I never enjoyed cutting my 2 acres of grass. If I did, would I have '67' riding mowers....maybe? Now I have always enjoys the process of traditional shaving, ever since my late great dad taught me @ 16. Note: he also had quite a collection. Adding a possible mapping behavior. He also was a master carpenter(cabinet maker, plumber, electrician & more). **** he had tools...Now also double mapping and getting that embedded hunter gather genetics. Boom..that tells my story....Bottom-line...do what you enjoy. Family first....
Cut'em if you got'em....BFX!
Also forget about watches.
Plus jenny craig'in stuff once in awhile can help.....to get more/ make room/ more $ for something else or the same...lol

Hi,

This place right here, that's what.

Folks all saying This Here Model is The Best Thing Since Sliced Bread!

I had several DE razors before B&B. I could have used such just fine. But, Wait! There's More! New and Improved!

Yep. A Gillette New Improved is in the house. And a New Short Comb and a New Long Comb. New, all right, and very old. And don't forget the Aristocrat.

No. Wait. Slants! Those are The Best. So, add some of those.

Ah. Yes. The Fasan DoubleSlant. Now that one was noticably quite a bit better. Made of Bakelite and Zamak though. Better get a spare. And, then I didn't like the plastic handles, so I fixed that.

And that went from 2011 to the 4th quarter of 2013. That's when I hit the brakes instead of the GAS. Joined the quarterly restraint. Then the year-long for 2014. And I've been in a restraint ever since.

But, now....Y'all are going to take a hard look at the Fasan Double Slant! He, he, he. :p

And, I did, later on, buy an ATT S2 OC slant. It isn't nearly as good as the Fasan. So add another razor I'm not likely to use much to the drawer. I did think on it for a few years before picking up one during my two weeks of Buy Time between year long restraints.

Stan

Top Bottom