What's new

What makes you choose and buy the razors you buy?

I originally bought a KCG because they are available in physical stores and I’d read they came with excellent blades and were a relatively mild shave. After using it (and liking it) a few times I remembered my dad gave me an old safety razor decades ago when I was a teenager. Miraculously I found it - a 1966 slim. Immediately I fell in love with it and also purchased a super adjustable in my birth year. I used those for a few weeks and had a lot of fun playing with different settings, razors, prep, etc before I got the itch to try a more modern option. I loved the concept of the Blackland Era with its mild exposure and super rigid blade clamping so I got one with the 3 oc plate and 2 sb. I’ve been content with this stable of razors for 3 months now. I don’t love the KCG handle so I have bought a couple different options and a Mühle R89 to throw in the mix, but that’s no real departure from the lineup.

At this point I can look back and realize that I could have stopped at any point. All of these razors are excellent and deliver the shave I’m looking for if I do my part competently. I’m sure the itch to buy something will strike again, but it won’t be in search of a better shave.
That's always been my problem. It's not the search for a better shave but the fun of trying different vintage razors (and 3 modern now). Once you know how to shave with a DE razor, I think a person can make most of them work. Of all in my stash, some are a little easier to run but in the end, I get good shaves from any of them from my oldest (Gillette Old Type) to my newest (Tatara Masamune).

And just the other day, I ordered the Birch Handle Muhle R95 and matching brush from Ireland (best prices I could find). Not because I need it or think I'll get a better shave or lather; I just want to look at them (well, and use them too).

I buy razors if I have an expectation they will give an exceptionally smooth shave for the level of efficiency. I base my expectations on reviews from people who tend to report the same things that I experience for other razors. Generally smoothness decreases as efficiency increases, but there are razors that defy this inverse relationship more than others - at least for me and the way I shave.

Besides that, I can also be tempted by looks, design, and acquiring something that is sufficiently different from what I have. But they must always offer a good combination of smoothness with a level of efficiency that satisfies me.

Trying enough to know what I like for me low or no blade feel and mild but glad I bought and really tried the Rex A or the Lupo or a higher gap wolfman (for me higher gap) and I know for sure they are not for me no more itch to try ! And I learn a lot from those failures you can say :)

bottom line I just find I need to try them for myself and only get ideas of what others like as a rough guide

still need to try a few more and plan on really just having one maybe two fav and done as no care to collect them :) as I know I am the type that will only want to use my favorite

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I like history and the bulk of my razors are vintage from gone by days and really enjoy them + all of them I have been used.
Modern razors are also great and I like mild to mid range mostly with some Yaqi aggressive razors that will indicate quickly how good your technique has matured (enjoy challenges once in a while)!

I have different reasons for both vintage and modern razors. I buy (mostly) specific vintage models, because of how unique they are compared to others or because some just have a lots of variations like the British and US Aristocrats and NEW. Shavewise, the difference between some of the versions isn't that big and while I still use them, I also buy them as part of my collection. In short - I the vintage razors I buy are considered somewhat special, because at one point in time they were sold as premium razors mostly during Christmas.

With the modern razors things are a bit different. I don't collect modern razors and if any of them doesn't perform the way I want it, I just get rid of it. The way I buy them is by doing some research and get all the details I need from people who I can trust and who also have similar taste in razors.

Here's my personal list of attributes that a modern razor should have:

Slim profile head - because I hate bulky heads, since I have a hard time shaving under the nose
Very good blade support - I hate blade chatter
At least basic polish - I hate the feel of matt or raw finish on my skin like with Rockwell 6S
Very steep shaver - while I have no problem using a shallow angle, I naturaly prefer and enjoy shaving with a steep razor
Smooth safety bar or rounded open comb - I don't like the rough feeling of the safety bar or the toothy combs some razors have
At least medium efficiency - I don't like too mild and inefficient razors, but I also have no need for a super efficient, yet uncomfortable razors

My goal for a while has been to buy the specific vintage razors that I want and then grab some of the ''perfect'' modern razors that fit my preferences and that's it. After finally getting my hands on a Toggle, I think my vintage crusade is finally over. I'm waiting for 2 modern and 1 vintage razors to arrive by the end of this month and after that I'm going to take a long break and wait for something groundbreaking and interesting to show up in the future and resurrect my RAD once more.

Today, I bought the tortoise handle R41 from muhleshaving.com. Why? Because I wanted to try the R41 head and those are $25. This was $36 shipped (had a $5 coupon) so I figure for $11 I get a handle that appeals to me regardless of the head. We'll see if I get along with it in a week or two.

I bought my Wilkinson Sword TTO because I wanted to try DE shaving and it just happened to be available at the local drugstore with a pack of 5 blades. I then I bought some vintage Gillette 3-piece razors because I wanted to see how they worked. I have recently picked up a couple of newer 3-piece razors and at this point feel my need for more DE razors has dwindled. I am now looking at collecting and using SE razors. Specifically, injector razors or the ones that use 1/2 a DE blade.

A guy really only needs one razor but then you're not allowed to post on B&B... ;)
I bought my Wilkinson Sword TTO because I wanted to try DE shaving and it just happened to be available at the local drugstore with a pack of 5 blades. I then I bought some vintage Gillette 3-piece razors because I wanted to see how they worked. I have recently picked up a couple of newer 3-piece razors and at this point feel my need for more DE razors has dwindled. I am now looking at collecting and using SE razors. Specifically, injector razors or the ones that use 1/2 a DE blade.

I started using a DE when a friend suggested it might help with my razor burn. He loaned me a RR mission, brush and soap.
It worked, mostly. Started researching and came across Henson razors: mild, set angle and made local to me. I now have an AL13.

I then found and joined this forum. Read many posts that lead me to believe that maybe a more efficient razor would be a bit better for me. Discovered that the RR stainless razors are also made local to me, Gamechanger .68 yes please.

Considering one more RR stainless razor a bit more aggressive then the Gamechanger.

Longevity and utility are most important to me with local made a definite plus.
I am quite happy to use one razor daily, heck I have packed basically the same lunch daily for over 30 years! Soaps and aftershaves now that might be something I want to have a bit of variety in.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand

What makes you choose and buy the razors you buy?

(1) For The Looks

(2) To find a razor that shaves better for me

(3) To get a razor that handles short stubble or long stubble well

(4) To get a mix of lower quality & higher quality razor construction

I have 1 vintage razor, and the rest are modern razors. I am not in it for the collecting of razors, I have been in it, to find the best razor that works for me. But I discovered a newfound love for razor culture, so appreciation for looks, features, and construction quality, has been something that I look for. And because I don't collect razors, I literally use every razor I have, as they are all in rotation.

Curiosity! I am perfectly fine rotating my 20+ razors, the 1000s of blades of different brands that I will never run out of and the countless soaps I have. I get great shaves with the gear and products I already have. But my dangerous curiosity of what a particular razor etc shaves like, usually gets the better of me.

Top Bottom