What's new

What makes the "Sticky" so special?

I know that the Wilkinson Sword "Sticky" razor is extremely highly regarded on the forum and the few pictures I've seen of it show that it is a very gorgeous razor. But what is it that makes it so special? Is it just the design or is it the shave/build quality? I'm curious since I would like one but the price is extremely high.

Design, mostly. It won't shave you any closer than most other vintage Gillette razors out there. But for me they get the job done more comfortably.

-It has a very compact head unlike all other TTO razors out there.

-It has a much higher shaving angle.

- It is a gentle, yet "aggressive" shaver.

-Head geometry is perfect (for me). Blade exposure, the angle at which the blade is presented to the face, and blade curvature is different from nearly all other razors.

-Very well engineered, very close tolerances (unlike Merkur.....)

-Perfectly balanced, not too light, not too heavy.

-Long handle, very nice to hold, comfortable like no other.

-Handle is coated in an unusual "sticky" polymer (note, it isn't really sticky, just grippy when wet). The official name is: "The Wilkinson Sword Razor." Sticky was just a nickname given to it by, I think, John (Yasuo).

-Wilkinson really put a lot of energy and thought into this razor, just couldn't compete with Gillette, I guess.

-Damn sexy. A lot of gents think so as well judging by the PM's I get wanting to buy one. There is really nothing else like them on the market. Wilkinson won design awards at the time for this razor. The razor, case, and box is so well designed. It reminds me of the "sexiness" that is associated with Apple's products and packaging.

-They are hard to get, making them even more desirable. I don't help either by posting high-res pictures of them and yabbering on about them.

-I have yet to see one in bad shape. They don't seem to rust, the doors are always shiny. They were built to last.

-Rare. If they were common as Superspeeds, they would be "just another razor." But like everything... supply and demand. Besides, they are not making them anymore and there is a huge influx in DE shavers.

If Merkur were to design a razor like the Wilkinson Sword Razor, they would be on to something.

Here is a couple close ups of the shave head. Keep in mind this razor approx 40-50 years old and is the "worst" one of my collection!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

rustyblade said:
Here is a couple close ups of the shave head. Keep in mind this razor approx 40-50 years old and is the "worst" one of my collection!

Very nice looking razor, shame there's not more out there. How many have you got?

Richard,

Thanks for answering the question and quite completely too. I've always wondered why it was called the "Sticky" and I have to admit that it is the most gorgeous looking shaving implement that I have ever seen. Maybe I'll have to try and acquire one.

rustyblade said:
All of my sexy ladies:

proxy.php

I noticed the knob on the end is black on the middle one and grey on the othr two. What's the difference? Different year or model?

JMT said:
I noticed the knob on the end is black on the middle one and grey on the othr two. What's the difference? Different year or model?

The one in the middle was sold in North America (but still made in England). The case was slightly different, the end cap is darker, and the safety bar is slightly different (North American one on right):
proxy.php

They shave the same. I actually prefer the look of the North American one, I think the safety bar looks nicer. The one on ebay is most certainly an English model (as it comes from England!). The North Amercian model seems considerably more rare. I shave with the NA one regularly as it is my oldest (and first) Wilkinson razor. The other two have cases, boxes, and manuals.

I contacted someone from Wilkinson UK by email about the razor and the very nice lady tried to dig up some more info for me, but she couldn't find any info on it....!!!

rustyblade said:
If Merkur were to design a razor like the Wilkinson Sword Razor, they would be on to something.

WOW! Beautiful razor.:001_tt1:You make me feel ashamed of my V-I-S-I-O-N. :biggrin:

Top Bottom