What's new

What makes the Rockwell 6S such a great shaver?

Over the past 8 years or so I've used a broad spectrum of razors, from an R89 to a Tatara Nodachi. Like so many of us, I enjoy the quest of finding the perfect shaver.. I've used about 25 modern razors varying wildly in blade gap/exposure, clamping, metals and weight.

While I can get a fine shave with most of them, the two that really stand out are the Tatara Masamune with a Nodachi cap and the Rockwell 6S. With the Tatara I need to be a bit more careful and going against the grain under the nose is less comfortable. I only us plates 4-6 on the Rockwell and it doesn't seem picky about blades. Plate 5 with a Nacet just melts away the stubble..

I was wondering if there is a consensus on why the Rockwell performs so well? I know there are many razors that get plenty of love but the Rockwell seems to be universally liked. Are there any razors that have a similar feeling to the Rockwell?

It really is too mild for me. I used mine a few times, but I needed something a lot more aggressive and efficient, so haven't used mine in about a year. It is a very well built razor and quite comfortable and is perfect for a lot of people.

Near neutral exposure + decently large gap = mild and efficient. It’s a good design.
This, plus massive clamp on the blade that results in zero chatter. That's really important for those of us with sensitive skin.

@Benoni, I wrote a little review that might help:

Last edited:
it doesn't seem picky about blades. Plate 5 with a Nacet just melts away the stubble..

This

This, plus massive clamp on the blade that results in zero chatter. That's really important for those of us with sensitive skin.

And this

I throw any mild, sharp or rough blade at the Rockwell and "There is a plate which will tackle its shortcomings" and give a fantastic smooth shave!

The gaps are relatively not that large...Plate 6 is just 0.79mm but the extreme blade bend makes it a very smooth razor with good efficiency.
I love how it has minimal blade chatter!

It has a lot to do with the Blade Bend

I agree with the OP. I've owned over 50 razors. For me, the Rockwell 6S is easily in the top 3 for shaving performance.

Reactions: nav
My Rockwell 6S sometimes humms when i get the shave right .It beats all my other razors including Fat boy,Fatip picclo and open comb slant, for me.I find it more efficient with a closer shave than the Fatip opencomb slant and it does not feel as agricultural .

Load a KAI blade into your 6S, makes it will make it really sing. With KAI blades being marginally wider than most others, it also kicks up the efficiency a bit, along with a tiny bit of blade feel.

I’m a daily shaver and use the 6S with plate 4 and a Feather blade. My current blade has 27 shaves on it and the combination still results in a 2 pass DFS shave. I mostly ride the cap, to get the blade angle as shallow as possible and I attribute that plus blade drying and blade stropping for the long blade life. Of course, YMMV depending on your beard, level of technique, etc. I’m 68 and my hair has all turned white except for my lip. I think white hair is probably easier to cut, so if your hair still has pigment in it, you will not likely get the same results.

I occasionally try plate 5, but end up back on plate 4. Plate 5 just feels too aggressive for me. Maybe some day.

I'm not sure either but I used a 6C on R6 plate today and it shaved like butter on the skin. One of the best feeling razors out there. I'm guessing 6S will be very similar.

So I assume that's better yea?
It's generally considered to be better than chromed zinc alloy. Tolerances are probably just a little tighter - though that's just supposition. The issue with the zinc alloy (zamak) is that if you do anything to compromise the chrome coating, the zamak can start to "rot". It's also not as strong as steel, so less forgiving of rough handling.

The 6S is a "lifetime" razor. With proper care, the 6C probably can be, too.

It's generally considered to be better than chromed zinc alloy. Tolerances are probably just a little tighter - though that's just supposition. The issue with the zinc alloy (zamak) is that if you do anything to compromise the chrome coating, the zamak can start to "rot". It's also not as strong as steel, so less forgiving of rough handling.

The 6S is a "lifetime" razor. With proper care, the 6C probably can be, too.

One thing to be careful of with the 6S is rust. Reviews I've seen on Amazon (that's where I bought mine) had complaints about that. It's probably attributable with leaving the blade in the razor between shaves. I take mine apart between shaves and make sure everything is wiped down.

I don't have that issue with my Weber SS razor, but it's made from marine grade SS.

One thing to be careful of with the 6S is rust. Reviews I've seen on Amazon (that's where I bought mine) had complaints about that. It's probably attributable with leaving the blade in the razor between shaves. I take mine apart between shaves and make sure everything is wiped down.

I don't have that issue with my Weber SS razor, but it's made from marine grade SS.
The “Tea Stains” everyone talks about is from putting away a wet razor with the blade in it. Always disassembly the razor and dry all the pieces including the blade. You can dry the blade by laying it on a flat towel and folding the towel over the blade. Do nut rub the blade with the towel, just pat dry. Reassemble everything before putt It away. I’ve done this since day one and we have crappy mineral water coming out of the faucet. I have no stains on the razor.

Remember, stainless steel is stain resistant, not stain proof, even 316L stainless will stain in the wrong conditions.

Top Bottom