What's new

What makes shaving soap different from soap?

I tried to use a castile soap as a shaving soap, but it didn't foam a thick lather. The lather didn't last long.

What makes shaving soap different from other kinds of soaps?

I think there are various factors that are different between shaving soap and normal soap. These include the fats used and the base (alkali) mix.

Some soap makers think that just adding bentonite clay to their typical soap base makes it a shaving soap, but you are still left with an unlatherable soap.

I think there are various factors that are different between shaving soap and normal soap. These include the fats used and the base (alkali) mix.

Some soap makers think that just adding bentonite clay to their typical soap base makes it a shaving soap, but you are still left with an unlatherable soap.

+1! My experience is that it is not a good idea to trust a local ‘artisan’ soap maker who also offers a ‘shaving soap.’ Bath soap and shaving soap are best viewed as different animals IMO!

Both (proper BS and proper SS) may be made using different proportions of the same ingredients.

Typically, SS lather has smaller bubbles and more stability (due to certain saponified fatty acids, e.g. *X Tallowate, vs X Castorate).
Typically, SS lather is creamier (due to certain saponified fatty acids, e.g. X Stearate, vs X Cocoate.)

Typically, BS cleanses to a greater degree (due to certain surfactants, e.g. X Cocoate).
Typically, BS has a higher concentration of saponified fat made with sodium (vs potassium) hydroxide, thereby making it firmer.

In terms of emollients/superfat, a classic SS is closer to the common BS, than is the typical "artisan" SS (which is loaded and preferred by many looking for extra moisturization).

(* X is Sodium or Potassium)

I tried to use a castile soap as a shaving soap, but it didn't foam a thick lather. The lather didn't last long.

What makes shaving soap different from other kinds of soaps?

Hi marshmellow. How are you? I’m an enthusiast shave soap maker from South Africa. I don’t make bath soap, but I’m very interested shaving soap and it’s a very delicate matter nowadays. The big difference is that shaving soap has a very high stearic acid content. This gives the soap a thick and creamy lather that lasts. Castile soap is normally made from olive oil only and has little lather, but it’s very mild. I hope this shines some light on your question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bath soaps are designed to cleanse the skin. Shaving soaps are designed to provide a slick substance in order to allow for shaving with a minimum of damage to the skin.

For the purposes of cleansing, there is no need for stable "bubbles." For the purposes of shaving, the lather must be much more stable and have much smaller bubbles in order to do its job properly. It is also best if the soap is not high on the cleansing scale, as this strips more oils from the skin and tends to leave the face overly dry.

Soapers design their soaps to maximize what they want the soap to do. Soap Calc allows a person to get an idea about what kind of lather will be produced depending on what fatty acids are added and in what proportions, but trial and error is usually required to come up with the exact recipe that you want.

Let me summarize.

Bath soap has more cocoate and more castorate and more saponified(alkaline) fat.
Shaving soap has more tallowate and more stearate.

Top Bottom