What's new

What makes razor blade aggressive \ non aggressive

Greetings gents, I am new to the classic shaving, I have been shaving for a few mounts and reading a lot about my new hobby. I am starting to understand differences between aggressive and smooth DE safety razors, but I have no idea what makes some razor blades aggressive and others smooth.So I decided to ask the pros ... what is it, is it the hardness of the steel or type of the steel, the edge profile or what?
I am looking up for your opinion. Thanks in advanse.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
Not the type of the steel but the edge grinding profile and characteristics. Different types of coatings also have some impact. Some blades are just sharper than others, and that is not a subjective opinion, but an objective fact, that can be confirmed by an analysis under a microscope. However, there are a lot of subjective elements to the feeling of the blade on your face and that is what makes blades a very YMMV thing.

While I'm a straight razor guy, my experience is that people generally refer to razors as "mild" vs. "aggressive". Blades usually get categorized in two aspects, "sharpness" and "smoothness". IME, many tend to prefer combining a "sharper" blade with a "milder" razor. And blades that tend toward "harshness" out of the wrapper become more "smooth" after a shave or two.

There's a chart somewhere on B&B depicting at least one person's rating of many DE blades on these two characteristics.

As stated, edge geometry, blade thickness, coatings, etc., are all designed to foster "sharper" or "smoother" characteristics.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Razors are generally categorized as mild or aggressive. Razor blades are categorized by their sharpness. Staying with the razors themselves, I would say aggressiveness has to do with a combination of blade exposure and angle.

Now I'll step aside and allow much more experienced folks to throw darts in my forehead.

Razors are generally categorized as mild or aggressive. Razor blades are categorized by their sharpness. Staying with the razors themselves, I would say aggressiveness has to do with a combination of blade exposure and angle.

Now I'll step aside and allow much more experienced folks to throw darts in my forehead.

+1! No darts!! That’s pretty much how I categorize things.

‘Agressiveness’ is a term that I use when describing razors.

The qualities that I look for in a blade are: sharpness, smoothness, comfort and longevity. ”Yes, Please!” to all four!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Welcome to B&B.
...but I have no idea what makes some razor blades aggressive and others smooth.
Blades are not aggressive it is how you use them that makes them aggressive. Smoothness is also to do with application but is impacted by the grind to the bevel and coatings applied.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I don't recall ever reading about aggressive blades. Blades are generally characterized by sharpness and smoothness.

The advice for blades is always to try a bunch. You can get a sample pack or assemble your own.

Some blades work well in one razor and not another. Some blades have bad edges (quality control issue), so if it feel ridiculous take it out immediately and try the next one down in the 5 pack.

The best blade for you is the one that is the best fit for your razor/face/beard/technique. Nobody can tell you which one, you have to try a bunch - like the rest of us did. Enjoy the journey.

Top Bottom