What's new

What makes Mitchell Wool Fat Soap so popular?

Mitchell's is right at the top for me. You can get a sample from Garry. It is not difficult to lather. I find it easier than most of the artisan soaps I've tried that people rave about around here. DR Harris is also tops. The Haslinger that people mentioned is very good too but irritates my skin.

All right.

You've got me interested now.

I am a relative newcomer to wet shaving, a little over two months in.

Where is the best place to acquire this legendary soap?

I would recommend something other than MWF if ur starting out...it may not work out for you!

For me The Fat is easy to lather, give wonderful glide and cushion and leaves my face feeling great post shave! I enjoy a lot of different soaps for different reasons but The Fat and Mike's Soaps make my face happier than the others.

It's fun to say wool fat.

Exactly! I firmly believe that if this stuff was called Smith's Shaving Soap and was sold in a chintzy looking plastic container, it wouldn't be one tenth as popular as it is. Put the same ingredients, same everything in a cheap looking plastic dish and name it something mundane and see how many people rave about it. People just seem to like saying Da Fat! "I love da fat. Gotta have da fat. Got me da fat. Getting me da fat. Loving da fat. Using da fat. Can't beat da fat..." ad infinitum. What would users of da fat say if it were Smith's Shaving Soap? There are other soaps that contain lanolin. There are LOTS of soaps that make lather at least as good as da fat (many better). There are lots of soaps that leave one's skin feeling good after a shave. But only one lets its users say they had "Da Fat!"

Flame-proof underwear now in place!

Every now again I try it to see if I miss something and the answer is no, not really.
The scent has its traces of Lanolin. Post shave feel is good, just like with Mike's. It is an ok performance-wise but I think there are better.
To name a few: Haslinger Sheep Milk, Mike's and others.
I would get the puck, it is not that expensive if you buy it from, say, Connaught. I think whippeddog even sells samples.

I've never found the Fat difficult to lather even with my moderately hard water. I find it a very good soap but not head and shoulders (not the shampoo) over many other soaps. Perhaps I have not used it enough to fall deeply in love with it yet (although I am definitely in like with it!

I love it and used it this morning. Very nice feel afterwards.

Just a tip... Im no expert or claiming to be one. I do however like my lather and shaves! I soak my brush in warm water and spin my wet brush on the puck. I also tilt my mug to let water run off and keep spinning until i feel some friction and can see nice lather in my mug. Then worked it more on my face. Lathers like crazy!

View attachment 375597

Last edited:
This guy makes soap? Never knew his first name was Mitchell either.

$Khigh+Dheigh.jpg

I had trouble lathering with MWF. I watched all the videos out there. I purchased 4 cakes and hunkered down to figure it out. On cake 2, I hit pay dirt. I'm not gonna go into details, as everyone has their own method for MWF. It gives the best shaves for me. Period.

The name, the scent, the performance, and of course all the praising it gets wherever shaving soap and/or sheep are discussed.

MWF is a good if not great soap. It is not the end all be all soap for me though. I'll always have a puck of sheep butter in my den, but there are others that for my own experience and preference surpass it.

If you guys really like "sheep" ( I mean in a shaving sense :001_rolle), try Hasslinger too. They have a sheep soap thats decent!

Last edited:
I had trouble lathering with MWF. I watched all the videos out there. I purchased 4 cakes and hunkered down to figure it out. On cake 2, I hit pay dirt. I'm not gonna go into details, as everyone has their own method for MWF. It gives the best shaves for me. Period.

You tried lathering MWF and not until the second puck did you get a good lather?!?!

MWF is just a great, solid performer.
A smallish puck is great traveller.
Lathers great even with small brush. It loves badger with lots of hot water.

Top Bottom