What's new

What makes a Morning or Evening blend?

I've not been able to determine what makes EMP and Chelsea Morning "morning" tobaccos and Nightcap or Quiet Nights a "nighttime" tobacco.

Please advise.

In the case of the Dunhill blends EMP strives to be a lighter bodied smoke that is not as heavy on the palate, heavier blends can stay with you making it difficult to appreciate the milder qualities of many's choice for an all day smoke. The evening blends were developed with the intention of being smoked after a full meal or standing up to a whiskey and tend to be full and rich to leave the smoker feeling well satisfied at the end of the day. These are general guidelines some blenders think of sweet desert blends as there evening smoke but these tend to be the exception.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
More than likely the only thing that makes a morning or evening blend is the label on the tin. Nightcap is just as good after breakfast as whisky. :lol:

Ale is an appetizer; PORTER is a meal.

I think some blenders also use the morning/evening nomenclature to denote nicotine strength, on the theory that you don't want to be smoking an n-bomb prior to your breakfast and tea settling. After a long day, several pipes, a big dinner, and a drink or two, one's system is more ready for a stout, strong bowl.

Though Latakia and other oriental tobaccos are lower-nicotine than Virginia leaf, so who knows.

Usually, blenders will season a tobacco fairly liberally with orientals, but use a light touch on the latakia (or none at all) for a "morning" or "daily" blend. The evening blends tend to go heavier on the latakia.

All of the info here points toward me preferring morning blends as I'm a nic wuss and not into L bombs. I don't mind some latakia, mind you, but I'm finding little ol' Frog Morton to be pretty heavy. That said, I love Pease Westminster.

I really seem to prefer lots of orientals and less latakia.

Top Bottom