What's new

What Makes a DE Razor Visible

What Makes a DE Razor Visible

What do you think about the handles? Are they really makes a DE Razor "visible" ?

The fact of marketing the same Razor head with different handles must have been due to "demand" and or "necessity".

Handles plays a direct role to the shave via its ergonomy and it has a secondary role as a visual element of enjoyment.
Of course ergonomy is much more important but, visual enjoyment is also important for hobbiest.

A Great Thanks to @KurtaranS for the generous gift of LATON Titanium Handle. This handle directly addressing "ergonomic requirements" and "visiual element of ejoyment".

First of all I must confess I am on the side that describes using titanium in shaving tools is a waste of technology. Thus, a titanium handle will not be included in my shoping list.

When I received the Laton Handle I matched with various DE razors in my den to find out perfect match.
The screw is M5 which fits most of DE and SE razors.

At this stage I copied from SOTD photos of @KurtaranS and pick the EJ 3ONE6.

316.jpeg
laton316.jpeg

3ONE6 Stock knurled stainless handle (left) 3ONE6 with Ti Laton Handle (Right)

Weight and Dimensions

At the first glance I was curious how much "lightness" provided by the titanium ? Of course this will not a fair competition in consideration of the different diameters of the stock EJ3ONE6 knurled steel handle and Laton Ti handle. 3ONE6 handle (89mm) is also a longer handle compared to Laton (80mm).

316width.jpeg
latonwidith.jpeg

EJ3ONE6 Handle width is 11mm

Laton handle width is 13 mm

I confess I was expected Laton is way more lighter. This expectation coming from the ergonomy of Laton which I tell later.

316weight.jpeg
latonweight.jpeg

But Laton weight is 41 gr and EJ316 steel handle is only 46 gr. Of course thinner diameter of EJ3ONE6 plays a huge role on relative lighteness of 3ONE6's weight.

I guess you are curious what is total Razor weights comparison.

Me too...

316 total weight.jpeg
latontotalweight.jpeg

Total weight are so close... Difference is only 5 gr. But the ergonomics plays a huge role how you lift this weigt with your fingers and specially when they are wet.

Ergonomy

Ergonomy is avery subjectif matter. My ergonomy and yours can be totally different. Another YMMV spot.
For "my" erogonomic needs 13mm Laton is perfect and way much better than 3ONE6.
Although Knurled Steel handle is a good performer on EJ3ONE6 house, Laton beats the king EJ.
Laton has very aggressive grips stick to your fingers firmly. On "gripping" and "wet fingers holding" discipline, Laton is the clear winner.
Laton prooves also a good gripping makes you feel that you are lifting a lighter weight.

Who Need the Laton Handle ?

It depends...

If you prefer a better gripping than your existing handle you can give a try.

Aesthetic wise it will not be good visiual combination with chrome plated Razors but with steel razors it will be a good visiual combination (Game Changer 68, 84, Lupo 72,95, Rocca, EJ316 etc..)

If you have a heavier handle (more than 41 gr) and you want to shift up to a lighter one you can give atry to Laton.

If you are not OK with thin handles you can give a try. The thicker 13mm handle will serve you well.

Where to buy ?

Laton is a Russian custom handle producer never heard before. They sell on Insta. They both work on steel and Ti. Price range is around USD 22- USD 30.

Thanks for reading...

Great wright up there. That stock knurled handle is definitely an odd ball, it has to be hollow. In that dimension, it should be about 70 grams. I have a custom Ti handle that weighs 42 grams so yours is in the ballpark. Mine has more machining and more length. A razor like that should weigh 105 grams, give or take. In that context, the Ti handle makes a huge difference.

I am also one of those who consider a titanium handle an overkill. But I also don't need stainless steel handles. Good old brass is good enough for me.

I am also one of those who consider a titanium handle an overkill. But I also don't need stainless steel handles. Good old brass is good enough for me.

I have custom Ti handles from rusdrunkbear, Tibam, and @Rosseforp . They are all worth it to me. Diameters range from 10 to 12mm. Lengths from 75 to 85mm. I also have RazoRock 12mm Ti Halo handles I cut down to 82mm.

Ti yields sturdy solid handles that match vintage crack-prone hollow Gillette handles in balance. I use very few of my modern stainless DE heads on their original oversized, overweight (to me) handles. Kudos to the EJ 3ONE6 for a light, nimble 11mm hollow handle.

I have custom Ti handles from rusdrunkbear, Tibam, and @Rosseforp . They are all worth it to me. Diameters range from 10 to 12mm. Lengths from 75 to 85mm. I also have RazoRock 12mm Ti Halo handles I cut down to 82mm.

Ti yields sturdy solid handles that match vintage crack-prone hollow Gillette handles in balance. I use very few of my modern stainless DE heads on their original oversized, overweight (to me) handles. Kudos to the EJ 3ONE6 for a light, nimble 11mm hollow handle.
+1
Those modern razors with overweight handles. I hate the Rocca handle.

I love the look and feel of my Feather handle. I it's so grippy even if covered in lather. I can't imagine a better handle. The way it screws I to to plates is satisfying.

Top Bottom